transporting firewood on roof of camper?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by lugoismad, Oct 19, 2015.

1. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

My pup has the Goshen lift system and a bike rack on the roof.

Would it be safe to put a couple armloads of wood on the rack on each side as long as the weight is even and strap it down? My tires and axle can take the weight, just not sure if it would be healthy for the roof. The wood would be on the bike rack, not the roof itself, and I wouldn't lift the roof with the wood on there, just transport it.

Your thoughts?

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

I would be very uncomfortable hauling wood that way. IMO too many chances for the load to slip and come flying off the camper. Plus the whole 'transporting firewood ban' thing. Too much hassle, buy local.

3. GAPopper

GAPopper New Member

I piece could go through a windshield. I wouldn't chance it. Call ahead of time to a local firewood seller. Maybe use Craigslist or roadside firewood sales.

4. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

No ban, I'm staying within the county.

And I planned on picking all even length logs and wrapping a wratchet strap around them to hold them to the rack. No more dangerous than using one of those racks that go in a receiver hitch.

5. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Risky at best, I had a piece of firewood come flying off a trailer and smash my windshield and splatter glass all over me. Driver would not stop!.....Hope you have good insurance.

6. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

The weight might not be a problem but how do you plan to strap it down? Strapping a bundle down would require more force to keep it tight than a bike. If you can strap around the rack then can the hardware used to mount it to the roof take the bouncing? If you strap to the base of the trailer then I would worry about strapping so tight that the roof flexes if the pressure is not distributed properly.

I have been taking my wood. You are allowed to take wood if it is debarked at least in Indiana. I like to keep a fire going and the bundle you are getting for $5 most places is price gouging due to the restriction in my opinion. If there is going to be a ban make the amount you get for your money worth it within the park (though most camp stores are contracted out around me now so it is a private company operating on S&D). It seems the amount you got for $5 used to be at least double before they started forcing you to buy local due to the spread of EAB. The stuff on sale is never seasoned either. I'm sure you can find a deal on good wood near most parks but if you aren't from the area it's a crapshoot.

Edit - missed your second post. If you are comfortable with the mounting staying secure to the roof then go for it. The difference between the hitch mounted rack and the roof rack is that your roof hardware is taking all the shock - not tube steel bolted to your TV frame.

7. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

I would think it would be a hassle loading and unloading it on the PUP roof. If it is OK to transport in your area, put it in a tote or box and put that in the TV or the PUP. That way you can put the roof up without needing to remove the firewood.

8. BadDonkey

BadDonkey New Member

I don't see a problem with it,if it is secure on the rack. You could put it in a box or a crate then strap it down nice and tight. How much wood are you think?
    If you already have the bike rack on there isn't that design to take weight... like a some bikes etc..? Shouldn't it handle a box of wood..

9. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

We're going for 4 days and it'll be in the 30s at night. I can fit about an 8th of a cord in my minivan if I take the front seats out and lay a tarp down and stack carefully, but I wanted to bring more.

10. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I went to a State Park here in NC last week. First time at that park and I counted 8 people selling firewood within 5 miles of the Park.

11. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

If you have it available try pallet wrap or shrink wrap. Then strap it down.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We routinely do it to get from the camp office to the site, but I wouldn't want to do it during travel for the above-mentioned reasons.

13. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Not cheaper than the free wood I have stacked against my back fence line.

14. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Unless that free wood damages your camper or someone elses vehicle

15. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

Lugosmaid, I wouldn't do it. only from camp host to campsite and then only if I went 5 miles per hour, as they do in campgrounds. the problem is it's not supposed to be up there. if you hit a bump the "G" force of the camper going down and then being shoved up on the other side of the pot hole you could very well exceed 5 or 10 "G"s on the roof. do that a few times and you end up with a crack on the top someplace. not worth it. [}:)]

16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I use a clam shell cargo carrier on top of the TV to bring wood.

17. Kittyhawksurf

Kittyhawksurf Work, family, surf, eat, camp.

I use a YAKIMA cargo net with my rack system. As long as the pieces are big enough and you don't severely overload it seems like the risk is minimal. Of course that depends on the specifics of your model.

I've carried A WHOLE LOT of stuff on my cars and trucks roofs over the years and recently started carrying stuff on my camper roof. The key is to secure it properly and that is why I use the cargo net.

18. ronnie

ronnie Member

This is similar to what i have, but i am going to use a tote or my luggage bag..

Attached Files: