Trash

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I found another mess at a camping site in the Golar Heights Iron canyon area. I made a video of the area. This one will make you sick!

Sorry, I accidentally deleted the video.

Last edited:

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
I found another mess at a camping site in the Golar Heights Iron canyon area. I made a video of the area. This one will make you sick!

That is just ridiculous...People have no respect!!...Nice side arm BTW...Luv to see you exercising your right to bear arms[:D]

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
That is just ridiculous...People have no respect!!
I'm sure there are some fine people living in the Los Angeles area. But these campers certainly did not fit in that category. The reason I pretty sure that they came from the Los Angeles area is because there were plastic grocery bags scattered around the area that had the name of a small grocery store chain in that area on them. Plus, the 35 or so water bottle came from a Ralphs Grocery store. There are no Ralphs stores within 130 miles of this location. Most of them are in the Los Angeles area.

gladecreekwy

Super Active Member
Sep 25, 2016
Jackson Wyoming
I just can’t believe we need to start the whole anti littering this over. It’s 2020. I’m finding trash and human waste in very remote areas of wyoming. Just not enough folks for enforcement. Trying to educate these folks is a waste. Does anyone really think it’s ok to litter? Heavy fines are the only solution

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj

Good job Don! I atually showed the video to my 8 yo daughter to show her what people should do when the camp. Addtionally it shows your selfless actions. Hats off to you bud!

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Good job Don! I atually showed the video to my 8 yo daughter to show her what people should do when the camp. Additionally it shows your selfless actions. Hats off to you bud!
Well, don't tell your daughter that I kept the 6 cans of unopened beer. I'm going to pass the beer through my Kidneys first, then discard it. They say that that is the best way to get rid of beer. I just want to do my part! LOL

Kaytayqt

Mar 29, 2021
Ohio, USA
My kids have gotten so upset with the amount of trash around when walking in parks in our area we actually started a trash team. We meet on Tuesday's, have bought a collection of trash pickers from Amazon and Harbor Freight, grab a couple buckets/plastic grocery bags and pick up what we find. The kids feel like they make a difference and the parks look better for everyone. This week we actually walked the train tracks to clean those up since we can see them from the road. I think the pickers will come with us on the next camp trip, just in case!
Oh, and we've decided to call them cigarette filters instead of cigarette butts. It keeps the squad of kids we now have from making too many fart or butt jokes[LOL]

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
My kids have gotten so upset with the amount of trash around when walking in parks in our area we actually started a trash team. We meet on Tuesday's, have bought a collection of trash pickers from Amazon and Harbor Freight, grab a couple buckets/plastic grocery bags and pick up what we find. The kids feel like they make a difference and the parks look better for everyone. This week we actually walked the train tracks to clean those up since we can see them from the road. I think the pickers will come with us on the next camp trip, just in case!
Oh, and we've decided to call them cigarette filters instead of cigarette butts. It keeps the squad of kids we now have from making too many fart or butt jokes[LOL]
Nice to see that but I suggest you don't walk the railroad tracks. They are private property and may also be under homeland security.

Kaytayqt

Mar 29, 2021
Ohio, USA
Nice to see that but I suggest you don't walk the railroad tracks. They are private property and may also be under homeland security.
Yowsa not good. Well, the intention was good. We only picked up true trash (broken glass, plastic cups, wrappers) and left railroad spikes, bolts, washers, etc. Right where we saw them. I&O RR repaired the tracks last year and left ties, spikes, e.t.c everywhere. We knew not to touch those

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
Yowsa not good. Well, the intention was good. We only picked up true trash (broken glass, plastic cups, wrappers) and left railroad spikes, bolts, washers, etc. Right where we saw them. I&O RR repaired the tracks last year and left ties, spikes, e.t.c everywhere. We knew not to touch those
A man near me was walking his dog on the tracks when RR police issued him a summons and he had to appear in court. He pleaded guilty to the charge. The judge said he didn't hear the plea but to think carefully before he answers because the fine is a minimum of $10,000 under homeland security.

mowmow

Sep 2, 2020
Our camping spot at Plaskett Creek (Big Sur, CA area) was littered with beer bottle caps, dental floss, light sticks, some dog poop.
I went around picking it all up, then noticed the people next to me got out a trash bag and we ended up picking up the entire area together, chit chatting from a proper social distance. It was all nice and clean for the next people, who I met, and have a toddler who didn't need to put any of that in her mouth. Usually that campground is really clean, must have just been some slobs there.

rob.mwpropane

Aug 11, 2021
Last thing we do before we leave an area is scout for anything left behind.. Idc if it's ours or not it gets cleaned up. I dont know when people stopped taking pride in their country / land.

You should see some of the places I dive...just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. 20 miles off NJ @ 80+' deep trash everywhere.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I see that there are some new comments on this Trash thread. So I'll make one too. My last three camping trips were in the high Sierra mountains above Oakhurst California. We only stay at boondocking sites. They are mostly just clearing in the forest down an old fire road. One of my favorites sites we call Devil's Fork. We were up there for a week last June. What I notices was that the site is used a lot on weekend. But the area was very clean of all trash. I don't think I found one pull-tab or cigarette butt on the ground. The folks that use that site as we do are very responsible and always clean up before leaving. We do the same.

adkdave

Apr 26, 2020
Pittsford, New York
Unfortunately, not all campers are environmentally conscious even in the backcountry. I once found a melted plastic beer ball in a fire pit and wondered how these "yahoos" found the energy to transport it full several miles from the road and just leave it. This problem goes beyond campgrounds. I walk quite a bit and it's incredible the amount of litter on roadsides. Even when I vacation in S. Florida it is a problem on beaches. I am amazed at what washes up on shore and left on beaches. If you live anywhere within a mile or so of any convenient store or fast food restaurant you will find a wrapper or used soft drink container nearby. We live in a throw away culture. Simply put, some people are just irresponsible slobs.

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
We clean around our camp and pickup trash while walking down the forest road during our walks. Picking up trash during our camping trips has become so often that we keep grabbers inside our trailer and reuse grocery bags for picking up. During my last trip, there wasn’t a lot of trash to pickup which was nice for a change. It’s always a hit or miss.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
They have trash cans and dumpsters everywhere and idiots are lazy and don't care enough to use them.