Trash

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Grandpa Don, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Camping Party of 2

Camping Party of 2 Active Member

We just got back from a trip and I think "2 pack a day" Joe stayed previously the whole site was littered with cigarette butts. Other than that we had a great time

Attached Files:

2. Mcladdy

Mcladdy New Member

Lake Isabella is a cool place I go there often. And yes the Central Valley is full of people that fully believe that it’s perfectly normal to leave their trash all over the ground.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DiamondGirl likes this.
  3. BBQdave

BBQdave Well-Known Member

I work in a NC State Park. My first season of work, I was surprised by the amount of trash the day visitors and campers would generate. Even some bulk dumping of large items. I discovered that it was just a handful of folks with the large quantity of garbage. Most visitors realized the beauty and value of the park.

I consistently picked up ground litter and removed trash. Other visitors saw this, and even when they were frustrated by the garbage, I kept it positive.

Now on my third season of work at the park, between the park staff and vast majority of visitors, we all keep the park clean. We're all vested in the beauty and value of the park. And the handful of trashing visitors are discouraged or cited, it is not acceptable to trash our park :)

Sjm9911 and tombiasi like this.
  4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I don't see much trash anywhere in the White Mountain area of NH, I don't remember ever seeing any significant trash. The beaches in MA is a different story.

5. davido

davido Well-Known Member

When I was a kid we were backpacking in the sierra nevadas. Camped by one lake, maybe 12 to 14 miles from the trailhead, we found behind a fallen tree a stash of trash. But in this case it was actually kind of interesting. It seemed like it had probably been left by campers forty years earlier. This was the late 70s, and I'm thinking the stash was from the late 30s; old tins in brand names no longer around, an old map case, that sort of thing. It was pretty interesting.

What's even stranger is to think that we're now more than 40 years past that time.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

One of the odd things like that we've found was backpacking in the San Pedro Wilderness in NM. Interesting place, burned over in the late 1800s by sheepherders, so it has meadows alternating with forest stands -and the meadows can have a few inches of water hidden under grass in the spring. With good reason, some of the trail markers appear to be 4-6' sections of telephone poles, and Courtenay had to trail find returning from a loop hike when one of them had fallen and was hidden in the grasses. (He found it the next day, approaching from a different angle.)
    Near one of the places we liked to camp, there was a forested section next to a clear hillside, so I headed to the woods to potty. I discovered a huge "box" - metal, probably a good 5 or 6' cube. It was actually on what had been a side, so it opened on the top (as it was sitting). We found a label, it had originally held some electronic equipment. The lid was ajar, and it had old clothing hanging out of it. The only things we could figure was that it was a resource box for those rounding up cattle or such. Although wilderness, cattle grazing is allowed, but no wheeled vehicles of any sort, and not allowed for years. Although that doesn't mean no one would use one anyway, the topography isn't exactly drive-able, but it would fit on a horse either. Hiking in the area, in another section of woods, we found a gallon glass wine jug.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

That sounds like a place where I would like to hike.

kitphantom likes this.
  8. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Two summers ago we noticed a huge increase in new campers. As in piles of cardboard boxes from their camping equipment. I watched as a grandpa (only slightly older than this grandpa) was showing the grandkids how to trench for the tent and cut down some firewood. I realized he was passing on what he was taught and probably hasn't been camping in 50 years.

I spoke with a very patient campground host who keeps himself sane by telling himself his job is teaching not enforcing or lecturing. I don't think I could and I'm a teacher.

A lot of good people are just a little ignorant of modern camping. We can help.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It is fun, high altitude, but once the altitude gain from a TH is achieved, it's relatively flat. We once camped over Memorial Day weekend, and only saw one other person - though we saw him 3 or 4 times, at least at a distance. Courtenay was finally able to talk to him, and it turned out he'd heard about the area, and decided to hike it, but didn't have a map. So, he was hiking out and back from his vehicle parked at one of the THs, returning to the vehicle each night. We gave him our extra copy (we each carried one). It's also an area where we found some bad camping etiquette, as we hiked out at the end of a weekend, finding a group trip camped across the trail.