Trash

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by beemerboy, Aug 9, 2011.

1. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

When you are camping, what do you put your trash in, where do you keep it and how often do you empty it?

I use the plastic grocery bags (always seem to have an over abundance of them) and hang it on the post in back of my sink. I tie it up and toss it in the dumpster every day.

I hate using the big ugly garbage bags when camping and having them hang around until they are at least half full. Even then that seems like a waste to me.

With two adults and a dog, we don't generate much trash.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

For me, this is also the way to go, and the cheapest

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

We just use a big (13 gallon) white trash bag tied to a pole or tree. Then we use a wal-mart sack for the inside. When the 13 gallon one gets full, it gets tossed.

4. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

I usually have 1 grocery bag inside the pup for small garbage that may be produced while in the pup. Outside I use a grocery bag on Friday night since I am only there for a few hours and not producing much garbage. Saturday I use a 13 gallon kitchen trash bag and hang it outside. Before bed I will either bring it to the dumpster or put it in the TV. Sunday morning is usually a small bag and I toss it in the dumpster on the way out.

I do want to get one of those collapsible garbage cans but hanging it on one of the latches works fine for now.

5. gusbell

gusbell New Member

We bought a collapsable Trash Can from Camping world that 39 gallon trash bags fit in perfectly. Can't seem to find it now but this is similar.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=collapsible+trash+can&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1069&bih=687&wrapid=tlif131290590383510&safe=images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4626125463869306388&sa=X&ei=vFpBTtTnK829tgfLv5WrCQ&ved=0CGAQ8wIwAA#

They make saller ones also that you might find at Target or Walmart. Ours stays outside. We use a plastic grocery bag for inside that we throw in the big can and then throw in the dumpter nightly prior to going to bed to prevent critters digging in it. Folds flat and stores in no space at all. We love it.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have a very small RubberMaid bin in the trailer that I use for trash. When it's filled I dump it into a regular white trash bag. Each night before bed the trash bag goes to the dumpster if we are camping where there is one. If not, it goes into the back of the truck. Daily trash removal is part of my "clean camp" regimen.

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Walmart bag hangs inside the pup. Drop them at the dumpster whenever they get full.

8. Dunkles

Dunkles Member

I have a small popup trashbin that a 13 gallon trash bag fits in. (I buy the trashbags from Dollar Tree.) I don't like using grocery bags because they leak; we dump coffee grounds in the trash and this way they stay contained.

9. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

We use a 13 gal bag for recycleables, and a grocery bag for trash. It's only the two of us so we usually have more recycleables than trash. We take it with us when we leave.

10. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

We hang a kitchen garbage bag from the end of the camp kitchen table. If we're camping in an area/CG where dumpsters are available, we toss the bag at the end of every day regardless of how full it is. If we don't have access to a dumpster (the norm), we put the trash bag in the back of the TV until the next morning. If we still have room we will continue to use it, otherwise we start a new one. If we are in the vicinity of a developed CG, I will often run the trash up there the next morning....otherwise, we pack it out when we leave and either dump it at a gas station dumpster (if they will allow it) or just dispose when we get home.

We often don't generate a tremendous amount of trash as we primarily use re-usable dishes, etc. Whatever paper products we use usually get burned in the campfire so we're generally left with a few plastic wrappers, etc that need to go into the trash. We have a rubbermaid bin for our alluminum recycle.

11. airmech2210

airmech2210 Member

We re-use plastic shopping bags. If we have something that might cause a leak we double bag and take it to the dumpster right away.

12. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Many moons ago, I bought one of these.
    http://www.always-free-shipping.com/hefty-scrapbag-rack-set.html

But we have always had a garbage disposal, so it was never used. Recently, I came across it and put it in the pup. Doesn't take up any room, and folds for storage between trips. Don't know what I'll do when I run out of bags. I think the diaper disposal bags will fit it.

Anyway, we use this in the PUP. At mealtime, we do the prep and cooking outside, so we just keep a plastic grocery bag on one of the roof latches. After we eat, we walk the dogs in the direction of the garbage disposal area and toss our trash daily. We really don't have much trash. We went GREEN a long time ago. So most of our trash consists of recycleable materials.

13. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

14. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

We use a regular tall kitchen garbage can with a bag. Sits right outside the PUP door by our work table. If it's not too messy or full, we put it in the TV at night. Otherwise, throw the bag into the campground garbage at night.

Inside, we use a plastic shopping bag to collect the small amount of trash we generate inside.

15. RangerBill

RangerBill New Member

DW found a small collapsible garbage can that we double line with plastic grocery bags. We empty it every night or when it's full - whichever comes first unless we're boondocking. When we boondock we empty it into a heavy duty 33 gallon garden waste plastic bag (from Costco) that we keep in the TV until we find a place to properly dispose of it.

16. wanderingpaladin

wanderingpaladin New Member

I use plastic grocery bags for trash. The person who had the site before me seems to use the firering...

17. riverwalker

riverwalker Member

I hang one in the pup off a hook ( plastic grocery bag) one just outside the door and another inside the screen tent. when full they all go into a larger blue bag then into the back of the truck unless in a campground which has a dumpster. left over food gets burned in fire if not salvageable. I have to say we've had some pretty interesting meals with left overs all tossed together and cooked up in some way or another.

18. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I personally don't care for the looks of a garbage bag hanging outside (something about the term "Trailer Trash" comes to mind [;)] [;)] ).

For the wet garbage I use empty bread bags and the like and then put it in the plastic grocery bag.

I also don't like storing the garbage bag in my car, even over night, because of the possible smell and a walk the dumpster is an excuse for a little exercise.

19. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I can't talk trash-working at a CG I swear Campers bring trash from home! Some Campers everything is disposable, others recycle and generate little trash? [8D]

20. HenryJ

HenryJ BLT Offroad

We use a Trasharoo
    It hangs on the rear mounted spare tire.