Trashy State Park

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by MikesRaleigh, Oct 9, 2020.

1. MikesRaleigh

MikesRaleigh Member

Went to my favorite local State Park this week for several beautiful camping days. Everything was great except that one of the changes they made since allowing us back since COVID started was to remove all of the trash cans at the sites. You now have to bag your trash and take it with you or take it to the dumpsters at the dump station. I’ve been there several times this year and it hasn’t been an issue but this time it was sad. Trash everywhere by the lake. Usually my son and I try to pick up trash when we find it but we couldn’t keep up this time. C’mon people! It’s really not that difficult to clean up after yourselves!! The kicker was the site next to us..they had a small dog that they walked and picked up after..great..except when they moved out they left 3 days worth of poo bags in the woods behind their site for someone else to deal with. Nasty!

firepit and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

It is sad how some people are just so dang lazy and uncaring about those after them. Most state parks Iv e been to here usually have a few built in trash canasters spread throughout the camp loops in addition to one larger dumpster on the way out. They thankfully still kept them available otherwise I think our parks would look the same that one you went to. Our rangers and camp hosts I'm sure are working insanely hard to keep up with the endless crowds of all these extra campers coming out to our parks.

firepit likes this.
  3. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson Member

This is probably the thing that breaks my heart most. It has been a problem in a lot of places I have camped in AZ (always dispersed) for a long time, but recently it has gotten worse. Pack it in Pack it out has been forgotten or ignored. I get it that nobody wants to ride home with a stinky trash bag in the car or camper but it's your trash! I have two dogs so I am no stranger to picking up after pets. Some areas have closed and other will continue to do so, unfortunately. I clean up after others when I can but I have skipped sites that were so bad that even though I wanted to clean it up I couldn't because I wouldn't be able to manage all the trash.

BTW has anyone on here used an external trash bag that mounts to an external spare tire? If so what was has been your experience?

firepit likes this.
  4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

When our scouts camp at the end of camp the boys have to line up and do trash patrol then move 90 degrees and do it again. When the boys are done the leaders patrol it. For each piece of trash the adults find the boys do five push ups. We rarely find trash.

5. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

Your sites had trash cans? Never seen that. NY state parks have a designated dumpster for folks to bring bagged trash to. Very few issues with trash away from those dumpsters this summer.

Yes, the trash bag on the roof of the Aliner was a thing this summer.

Kyle R Thorson and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

First time i went to a camping resort place i kept my trash with me, and kept looking for the dumpster. I didnt know some places pick it up at the campsite........
    Yea, ny is usally good like that , i just had problems with them having 0 trash cans in there rest areas and parks for a while. I think it varried by area. But when you need or expect a trash can they should have a few. Made for a lot of trash flooting around the nature areas, and the rest stops.

7. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

The park i am at has dumpsters everywhere and i was on a trail today behind a camper section and seen the same thing as well as beer cans on the trail and oh you guessed it....discarded face masks....i dont even use the restrooms after my last trip...i pack the porta potty and drove 15 mi home to shower today.
    Its packed full now but hardly any tents at least...i think with it being cooler and beach is closed and school back open has helped...but like many have said...its sad...us life long campers have to grit our teeth and hope next yr we can back to somewhat normal.

neighbormike and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  8. davetx

davetx New Member

This boggles my mind. We have a trash bag frame that we fit on the end of the picnic table. A large black trash bag easily fits on it and it collects all day and we walk it to the dumpster each night. How do people not do this. Even before we got the frame we usually tied a trash bag somewhere in camp to collect all the trash.

sandreas likes this.
  9. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member Diamond Supporting Member

Ridiculous. How could the park enforce this? Camp host noting the irresponsibility and revoking a deposit? Who knows...

10. petefuller

petefuller New Member

its a sad reality of how our parks and wilderness are treated, we have many that would happily drop a coffee cup behind a shrub when walking in the city and that sense of entitlement carries over when they camp. Or fish, Or whatever activity is the choice.
    I was really impressed with American sites in the south west, spifically AZ, so much cleaner than Ontario

11. Bradford Smith

Bradford Smith New Member Silver Supporting Member

We camp in a lot of State and Corp of Engineers parks in Kansas. The State campgrounds are okay, but typically aren't patrolled by rangers/staff and as a result aren't typically as nice as the Federal campgrounds. The Corp sites are almost always well maintained and clean. Plus, for the 62 and over crowd (in my case quite a bit over) you get a 50% discount if you have their Senior Pass. They are currently $80.00 for a lifetime pass or $20.00 for an annual. The used to go by a different name and were cheaper, but they're still a good deal. I believe you can buy them online. If you make reservations online, you enter your pass number and they show the discount at that time.

12. Nealster

Nealster New Member

I've heard a lot about new campers this season. Also record sales of RVs. Maybe these "trash problems" are a result of newbies not undestanding the LNT principle.

13. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

interesting, i have not seen a state park that had trash cans at each campsite - we have always had to cart our trash to a dumpster. The general public areas of the Maryland state parks removed trash cans years ago - there are signs that you must take your trash with you - and they usually have small bags for you to use if you don't have one of your own. People still drop trash along the hiking trails, but the picnic areas do seem to stay clean.
    As to trashy camp sites, I have been to 6 different state park campgrounds this year in Maryland (2), Penn (3), and South Carolina (1). In all of them, everyone seemed to take their trash to the dumpster and the camp sites have been clean when people have left.
    one outing, i was talking to a camp host, he mentioned having to help out alot more new campers compared to other years, and the biggest issue he mentioned was noisy large groups.
    Just this last weekend, we were camping and the state park campground was full. I don't think there was a single available site. Tents everywhere as well as all kinds of campers - we were there until Monday, most people left on Sunday. I walked around the campground late Sunday and did not see trash left behind- but there was one baseball cap someone must have lost - it was on a site post waiting to be claimed.
    The family next to us was tent camping and it was their first time out. they also left the site clean and even left some wood stacked next to the fire ring. The kids (3 and 5 yo) were real cute - i had fun showing them a woolly bear caterpillar. As they were packing up to leave, they stated that the first outing was a success. May they have many happy trips!

14. scwalk

scwalk New Member

We have been out several times this year - mostly National Forest and 1 state park - TN and NC. There were Several bear proof trash receptacles In the parks and 1 large recycle “dumpster”. We saw no trash anywhere - BUT there were 2 couples that were camp hosts and they literally worked their butts off keeping everything done - including bathrooms and trash and even mowing. I also know there are MANY first time campers this year because their overseas and domestic travel got cancelled. Even now most of the campers we see are from Other states with high Covid counts.

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

What state had the trash can at camp sites?

I'm old, when I was a kid it was common to have a trash can at the cs. But I have not seen that in a long time. I'm thinking since early 1970's.

16. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The only one I've seen in decades with at site trash cans is Sandhills State Forest in South Carolina.

17. 60man

60man Member

I did the same thing when I was a scout. Great lesson for the kids. I make my family do the same thing. I just dont make the do the push up.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  18. KeizerTrailer

KeizerTrailer New Member

It is quite unfortunate to hear about that. My last camping trip back in August wasn't like that, thankfully. Most State Parks here in Oregon don't usually have dumpsters or garbage cans scattered around the loops in camp, typically near the registration booth or dump station is the trash/recycling station. That being said, most of this trash is from what I call "COVID Campers", most that have never done this before; never camped, towed a trailer/RV until the COVID showed up and now their lazy and disrespectful ways that have been at home are now wandering our local, State and National Parks...ahem, but I digress. Truly, how hard is it to just carry your spent beer can or trash back to your camp site and toss the burnables into the fire/toss into the nearest trash can?

neighbormike likes this.
  19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Odd. I have always been so impressed with the cleanliness of Ontario. I could walk through a town or park and not see a speck of trash.

20. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

The State Parks I have been to here don't have trash cans at the camp sights. Dumpster by the dump station and close to the restrooms. I wonder if it is happening because people are use to the cans being there and they are mad about that, new campers from the Covid-19 influx or, just plain don't care, lazy, no good, stupid, nasty, ignorant, jack asses? Did I leave anyone out that should be on the wall of shame?