Travel Time

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by PopUpSteve, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

We're never in a hurry, at least I'm not. We like stopping and looking at different things on the way. Just like a hike you go one way see things, then on your way back you see stuff you didn't notice in the other direction.

xxxapache likes this.
  2. Strawhouse

Strawhouse I miss my Camping Family... Gold Supporting Member

I usually stop—averaging 15min—every 2-3 hours, and I always fill my tank when I get close to my destination. I typically camp at PopUpPortal or Aliner Rallies. Those in Ontario are usually under 4 hours (4.5hrs with stops); those in the U.S. are always more than 8 hours (10 hours with stops)—about half of them require a 1-night layover enroute.

Sjm9911 and PopUpSteve like this.
  3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We will try to stop for a light lunch and hopefully the exit we get off at has gas, food and a bathroom. We then will stop for dinner and get gas before we hit the campground or hotel. This way we are ready to hit the road in the morning.

Sjm9911 and PopUpSteve like this.
  4. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

I calc the whole trip at 55 mph. I find that doing that builds in enough time for gas and potty breaks.

PopUpSteve and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When we take a trip I plan a loose itinerary of things to see and places to stay along the way. Otherwise, I'm in the we'll-get-there-when-we-get-there camp.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  6. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Daily mileage divided by 50 MPH plus 1 hour for stops usually works out correct for us. Four hundred miles in about nine hours. I adjust for things like getting across west Texas which I can average 65 mph for many hours or driving on I35 through Dallas which takes 10 years off my life and adds a couple hours.

theseus, PopUpSteve and kitphantom like this.
  7. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Over the years, DW has hypnotized me into accepting that "we'll get there when we get there"...

[mostly to CYA,... HER "A".... 'cause she's NEVER adhered to "agreed upon" departure times]

when the kids were younger, we'd make a "rest stop" at least once per 300 miles... probably no more than 15 minutes. Now that I'm older, it's still the same [LOL] LOL

we've tried to combine fuel stops with potty & snack replenishment but, "when nature calls, ya gotta answer", right?

We've always made sandwiches/snacks for while we're traveling so, very rarely have we ever stopped for food.

Serriously, as the years have gone by, the more important to relax and enjoy the WHOLE trip has become.... it's all part of the journey

"we'll get there when we get there"...

Happy Trails!