Travel trailers with short exterior height?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by SoCalAmy, Nov 4, 2014.

1. SoCalAmy

SoCalAmy New Member

Hello! I'm wondering if there are any travel trailers with a total exterior height of under 8 feet? I know about the trail manor and hi-lo but looking for a traditional trailer. I have searched online with no luck so far. TIA. Forgive me if this has already discussed. [TV]

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Old Shasta's?
    There is an older small TT right around the corner from here. No way it's 8 feet tall and it aint but 6 feet wide either!

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

4. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain New Member

As said above,if you remove the rooftop AC the older Shastas will fit the bill, mine is just under 8' if you remove the AC
    [​IMG]

Any shorter than that you're going to be losing interior height, I'm 6'3 and my head bumps the AC controls and showering requires a little limbo work.
    You all notice you're going to end up with something with a lot less ground clearance than most current trailers, so factor that in as well, the plus is, you don't have a huge sail sticking up behind your TV.

5. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

6. penguin

penguin Member

The Sunline brand of TT's were also low profiled. There is a great advantage in lowering your wind resistance this way. I can't help but notice some fivers approaching, they look like a huge wall sticking up over the TV, that has to be a nothing but a drag chute.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've seen several short-ish TTs on our travels this year. We saw two of the Alto ones at Chaco on our first trip. Cool idea.

The manufacturer of ours [www.riversidervs.net] makes a couple smaller and shorter. We actually looked at one of the smaller ones at the RV show this year. We nixed it because it had a step down floor to provide headroom. The center of the floor was a step down, after stepping up into the TT; the dinette, etc. were around the edge on the upper level. Not only did it look to be a falling hazard (at almost 60 with a bad back, one thinks of these pitfalls), it made the clearance underneath very short.

The "Palomomini" from Palomino also has a step down floor, but I did not get to see that in person.

Casita comes in under 8', but I think that is without a/c: http://casitatraveltrailers.com/patriot-deluxe-13/. Our friends are thinking about a Casita, which will work for them, but my husband is 6' and the inside ceiling height is 5'10". Also, the ground clearance isn't quite as much as one would wish in some of the places we camp, so our friends are planning on having the optional lifted suspension.
    Scamps are also listed as under 8' total, they do have a bit more headroom, it we had chosen the fiberglass route a Scamp would have been an option.
    I also saw a new manufacturer of fiberglass TTs earlier this year, I think they are made in NC, but the name escapes me at the moment.

9. SoCalAmy

SoCalAmy New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, the Safari Condo and Casitas look promising, I will look into those further. We love our Pop-up for beach camping but I really feel nervous camping in the PUP where there are potentially wild animals. We plan to do the High Sierras and Yosemite next year and I don't feel comfortable doing that without hard sides. My issue is that I don't have room to store at home, I don't want to pay to store a TT at a yard and the drive-under for parking where I would store nearby at my fathers is 8'2". I will also look into how difficult (or possible) it is to take off roof a/c to get thru, then put back on for use. Thank you all!

10. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

My GF has a T@b trailer, not sure, but it's probably under 8 feet. I can tell you that it's low to the ground, and my head hits the ceiling inside ( I'm 6'2" )

11. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Take the wheels off and set the axles on dollies, then push it in under cover. My Uncle did it to get his boat in the garage.
    I would not mess with the A/C.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Twisty you got the right idea. 8 lug nuts and you dont have to worry about roof leaks.

13. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Checkout KZ Sportsmen Classics. I bought one for that exact reason as it slide under a roof deck at a seasonal site.

14. SoCalAmy

SoCalAmy New Member

twisty, that's funny, my BF suggested that and I thought he was joking.

15. SoCalAmy

SoCalAmy New Member

Pgordemer, I love the KZ Classic, but thought that would be too tall also, do you know what your exterior height is? The website shows the shortest at 100" without ac