Traveling with full water heater and toilet tanks

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by John the Baptist, Nov 7, 2019.

1. John the Baptist

John the Baptist New Member

Hi- does it hurt anything to wait until I get home to drain the water heater and Thetford toilet tanks?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Nope

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Nope....most dont drain the water heater until the end of the year. The cassette toilet gets dumped at the camp ground.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Only time my water heater gets emptied is at the end of the season when winterizing or spring when I'm sanitizing the water system.

WVhillbilly, xxxapache and bheff like this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Depends on how your camper tows with water on board. Our small TT does fine, so we do travel with water in the (20 gallon) fresh tank and hot water tanks, as well as in the waste tanks if we can't dump until somewhere on the road or even near home. Of course, by the time the waste tanks are full, or nearly so, the fresh tank is close to empty.
    We do drain and rinse our hot water tank a couple of times a year, because our water is very hard and it seems to produce a lot of grit. (The anode has worn away some, but is in far better condition than I expected by now.)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

We are usually self-contained from the time we leave until we return because we rarely encounter a dump station. So 20 gallons fresh/grey (depending on how far along we are), and whatever is in the toilet and water heater.

Carrying water probably makes me exceed my popup's max weight rating...

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I do it often.

8. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

I drain and flush h/w tank at the end of each trip.

9. Econ

Econ Active Member

Water is 8.35 pounds per gallon. If your are carrying 20 gallons as some above state, that is 167 pounds of extra weight. You could just unscrew the plug and walk away at camp as you leave.

Depends on where the water is. We are definitely nose heavy so I put some in the tank to lighten the tongue weight.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

With my TT, I always leave home with 52 gallons in the FW tank, 6 gallons, in the WH and 3-5 gallons in the black tank. The trip back is usually close to that. My TT towing trucks are stout enough that I don't have to crunch the weight numbers.

neighbormike and BillyMc like this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If I have to crunch numbers so tight I have to worry about a couple hundred pounds of anything it's time to upgrade the TV or downsize the camper.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Toedtoes and xxxapache like this.
  12. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

My TV doesn't care about the weight but my popup probably does.

Econ and bheff like this.
  13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Neither the water heater tank nor the cassette toilet will hold enough to create an overweight issue. If they do, then you are far too close to your limit than you should.

As for harming anything - no. They are meant to do just that. No requirement to empty immediately unless you want to use the toilet and it's full or you are winterizing.

14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Yes, we are too close to the limit. It came from the factory that way. :)

I'm sure John's modern Starcraft will be fine. And the potty will empty better after the contents have jiggled all the way home. :D

15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Dingit - the fresh and/or grey/black tank could be enough to go over the limit without adding anything else in the trailer - the manufacturers build them purposely this way assuming folks will always use hookups.

But the 5-6 gallons in the water heater and/or the few in the toilet should not be enough to go over the limit before adding anything else (including water in the other tanks).