Travelling with extra proprane

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Chris Exner, Aug 14, 2017.

Is it safe?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Why do you even need an extra tank? How long are you going for out in the boonies?

2. Chris Exner

Chris Exner New Member

One for the trailer, one for the BBQ. I have a splitter, but that means that the BBQ needs to be right beside the trailer, which isn't ideal either.

3. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Same reason Chris has: I run a BBQ (Coleman RoadTrip) and my 3-burner Camp Chef stove off one tank. I have a 2-tank setup on the trailer which means either robbing one of those tanks or carrying a third tank to run them. For those with a single-tank setup on their trailer, there's convenience in not having to do shenanigans with LP splitters and hoses to run additional devices and then worrying about running out of propane.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I carry a spare for the BBQ and /or LP outside stove, I place my spare tank in a milk crate, it fits snugly. stays upright and will not roll around.

5. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

Wow, 60# of propane when everything is full.

Our camp grill is a little tabletop unit that runs on 1# canisters. We can get 4-5 trips on one canister and carry a spare inside the grill itself.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When everything is full, I'm carrying 80lbs of propane.. 2x30lb tanks on the tongue and a 20lb tank (in a milk crate) in the back of the truck..

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We now carry an LP tank for the Little Red Campfire. I can run it off 1# cylinders, and still take those instead of the LP on some trips. However, it gives much more consistent heat with the bulk tank, and I was glad not to worry about running out during a long, cold afternoon last Thanksgiving.
    Friends found that their LP camp stoves have run much better with even a small (5#) bulk tank than with 1# cylinders. They changed to a bulk tank with the first LP stove, which has been replaced, so they are only running 1 stove on the small bulk tank. They made a cradle for the 5# tank in their roof-top cargo box.