Tri-Lynx caps

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Steveo4090, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Question for anyone that uses lynx levelers for their stabs...do you use the lynx caps for them or did you make something as a substitute? They're $19.07 on Amazon right now.

I use them solely for my tongue jack and stabilizers, not to level my camper. I have the scissor type stabs and they don't have a solid surface on top of the lynx blocks.

Suggestions?

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I have lynx that I use only for my stabs. I have 2x10's that I park the wheels on and if one side is too low, I might put the lynx's under them, but normally not. I have a couple of huge 8x8 blocks that I put under my tongue jack.
    So to answer your question, yes I have lynx caps and use them every time on the lynx's under my stabs. They give a nice flat surface for the stabs to sit on. I don't have sand pads, but instead have the small squares (maybe 3x3 inches) on my stabs. I like the lynx caps.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We use caps on all of the Lynx blocks, under the tongue jack, stabs, and for leveling. The crank down jacks have sand pads, but the caps still help. The other day, we actually used just caps to level the trailer, it was just enough off to need some leveling, but a whole block would have been too much.
    We have 4 sets of blocks, 2 or 3 sets of caps, and the chock that goes into the blocks Lego-like. (We use a BAL chock on the other tire.)

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have 8 bags of Lynx Levelers and 4 caps. Only time I use the caps is if I need to make an extra step to get into the trailer.. otherwise they just sit in the box. And yes I have had sites that I have used all 8 bags on.. a full bag under each front stab and tongue jack, 2 bags to build steps and the remaining 3 bags used to level the low side with 4 being used under the rear stabs..

6. Steveo4090

20200831_191205.jpg
    20200831_191150.jpg Thats how I've been putting the stabs on the lynx levelers. They sit on 2 of the 4 octagon bumps, but the stab pads hang off the sides...therefore not giving the full stability benefit.

I've thought about making a plywood insert or something, but I've been trying to get away from toting wood for setup. I'll just try not to be cheap and spend the $20 on a set of caps lol. It'll be the easiest and probably work the best anyway.

7. Steveo4090

Wow, that's a lot of blocks but they do get used up quickly if the terrain is crazy. I don't have room for 8 bags of levelers lol. I barely squeeze my 2 bags in.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I use wood blocks under the stabilizers. Always. Under the toung i have an aluminum jack stand. Works well.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Only bought 2 bags of those 8..lol use to deal with a very good PR person a Tri Lynx the parent company and won several contests he use to run, he also supplied some very generous door prize packages to our Ontario Summer Rallies.

I carry 2 jack stands as well and normally use my 40 year old chunk of 8x8 railroad tie under the tongue jack but sometimes that is too tall or too short..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@Steveo4090 - We like the Lynx much better than hauling pieces of wood - no splinters, compact, the bags fit easily wherever we have odd spaces. Consistent size too, I guess one could cut wood to a standard size, but most people I see using it seem to have a collection of sizes, That might allow for finer adjustments, but I don't want to have to ferret out the right size. We know how the Lynx work by now, I think this is the 10th or 11th season using them.
    (In our climate, wood can crack and splinter pretty quickly, as we found out with a couple of stacks we made for the pups before we had so many Lynx. Using the stack under the tongue jack is easier and lighter than the stack Courtenay made for one of the pups too.)

Steveo4090 likes this.
  11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I bought the caps, I find them to be essential. While my pup has a wider foot on the stabs, it is not wide enough to span the nubs on the lynx. I just have 2 bags of lynx blocks, 2 sets of caps, and a 3rd bag of lynx copy cat blocks (that I actually prefer). I rarely need more than one bag, but the others do double duty to help level out camp kitchen tables, and I generally put a couple under the tongue jack. My pup is pretty low to the ground though, so I often find myself using the basic Camco sand pads when I don't need to raise anything. I bought them first and didn't need blocks for a year or so until I got in a messed up site that had a big incline on the back end.

12. Steveo4090

I ordered a set of 4 caps yesterday from Amazon that'll be here tomorrow. I could have used them this past weekend...with the storms and my crappy choice in sites, we had a mud pit at the bottom of our steps. I put 8 extra lynx levelers down and our "sand blanket" on top of them just so we weren't right in the mud. I had 4 old 2" thick wood blocks I made a while ago that I put in the mud me to step on to get to my griddle lol.

20200830_083331.jpg
    That picture was after the water receeded. Was almost over the wood blocks...we still had fun though. The only thing that was a nightmare was keeping the dog out of the mud.

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn’t sweat it @Steveo4090 - I bet the dog really didn’t mind.... [:)C]

Steveo4090 and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Steveo4090

No, she wallers in dead stuff so mud is no big deal...o_O

neighbormike likes this.