Tricks to make bunks feel larger

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by Koalavan, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

Hi all. Just wondered if there were any tips for making bunks feel a bit more spacious - we are two tall and wide adults sharing a 1190cm x 1820cm (47 x 72 inch?) bunk... we get by, but there's not much room to stretch out.

Our main improvements have been buying small contoured travel pillows in place of regular full size ones, and building a bedhead wired with reading lights and USB sockets to charge our phones. We just need to add actual phone holders to it so we don't have to rely on tucking the phones between the mattress and the side rails.

I'm not sure if anyone else deals with 'where to put my arms when there's not much space', but I just bought this pillow from Daiso (Japanese discount goods store) that you can put your arm through the inside of, and that's ended up working great as an arm support if I'm leaning it against the bedhead or bed edge that would otherwise soon be uncomfortable. It's essentially like this one: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw0YG8j9Ln-0AW-ZrtS2BEdM&ust=1577595615016718

Long term plans include slimming ourselves down [LOL] , but just wondered if anyone else had bright ideas on maximising space?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Personally what I'm thinking relys on the floor plan of your unit. Essentially to add an extra inch or two by making a shelf Infront of the bunk.make a cushion to go over it. That way the person on the inside has more room for their legs arms etc. Which should give more room for the outside person. You can look into adding shelves in the interior of your popup to keep clothes and other clutter off the bed. I used an old shoe organizer cut down and hung over the back of the bunk bar to put keys, phones, and other small items in. It's small enough that it doesn't encroach in where you sleep. I considered adding a cargo net to hang above the bunk for clothes and other light things, but I held off as I was concerned my little side kick would abuse the netting.

Koalavan likes this.
  3. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I have wondered about having a little extension. We have the wrap around seating in front of our bunk, could possibly gain a few inches with a little fold out extension but the bunk itself is kind of a tray with metal sides holding the mattress in, and I tend to need to sit on the edge of it to reach my legs down when I get in and out of bed. I'll have a closer look at it next time we are in there.

EDITED TO ADD: Thinking further, I wouldn't even need an extension to be the whole length since it'd mainly be for arm room. I'll have to make a note of where in the bed I'm usually sitting when I hop down and see if that gives much length for a little fold out shelf.

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I had not thought about using the wrap around seating for bunk bed extension...

We make our wrap around seating into a day bed all the time but it still is a good 12-inches or so down from the level of the bunk bed mattress.

[​IMG]
    google image

I guess one could find something to lay on top of the day bed setup to make it even with the bunk bed mattress.

I am 6'0" here as well and we both sleep front to back of the tent bed... I usually get in bed first as the wife seems to get in and out of bed for one reason or another during the night...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image...

We actually like sleeping on the other tent bed end as it has the front deck under the bed... Won't have to worry about animals or nite creatures getting under the bed.
    [​IMG]
    Google image...

Now that I think about it I think this tent bed end is slightly larger then the back tent bed end...

[​IMG]
    Google image...

It is 7-inches deeper than the other tent bed...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Koalavan likes this.
  5. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

Hi Roy, it's so interesting that although we have a similar layout to this image (we have a dinette in place of the shower/toilet), even the same that the one bunk is slightly wider than the other, in Australia the opposite end is the front! I guess they just put the towbar on the other end depending on which side of the road you'll be driving???

Yes, it's true we could swap to the other bunk, I just have always preferred putting my son at that end further away from the door and the lounging spot. I also find that bunk a bit more awkward to climb into since it's via the dinette bench, while my preferred bed has the whole wrap-around-lounge to use. I think deep down my worst fear is a stranger coming through the door in the night so I just feel safer sleeping where I have it in direct eyeline.

I was only thinking of a little fold-out flap hinged to the top of the metal cot-wall, not actually bringing up the level of the seating to bed-height. It's difficult to describe! But then it could be folded onto the bed when we want to use the seating, and short enough not to be in the way of bed access in and out. It wouldn't be heavy duty enough to sit on, just to rest an arm out on.

6. roybraddy

Understand it more now... Fold out Arm Rest haha...

Another thing I did here with both tent bed ends was to install 2x2 sticky back carpet squares. Really helps keeping it abit warmer... Also use those Window Air Conditioner 2x2x36 foam sections to stick around the tent bed flaps to keep things from falling out of the tent bed area... Each side uses two of those foam sections... I was always loosing my flashlight haha Next morning there it was laying on the ground...

I also put down the carpet squares on the trailer floor but that was sometimes a leaves catcher. Every time I walk into the trailer I bring in leaves haha... Even tho I have a great foot stomper on the ground below the steps...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken

Orchid and Koalavan like this.
  7. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

Roy I really like your foot stomper! My dad made something similar from the bottom of a plastic bread tray (the sort they deliver bread to businesses in, with a cross hatched base). It's a bit hard on bare feet though.

Can you see in my profile picture that the wheel is the opposite side of the door? :)

8. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Google "bunk end extention" for some ideas. Not sure of your pups layout but it will show a different option. There are some real neat ideas on this forum but I cant find any right now.

9. hq308

hq308 Active Member

By adding a small extension to the bed you can make it a king size bed sleeping parallel with the sides of the camper. If you look at the link for 1978 unknown build in my signature you can see how I did to my old camper. It was a much more comfortable size and the change in sleeping direction meant there was no more climbing over each other to get in/out of bed. I plan to do something similar in my Jaydove but it probably will be a little simpler. IMG_3199.JPG

10. roybraddy

I got this stepping stool from Camping World many years back... Was kinda expensive however haha... $90 I think it was... It sure has been a life saver over the years. Sits inside my doorway on my OFF-GRID POPUP Trailer...
    [​IMG]
    Camping World photo...

I very seldom open out the legs on it... This is a heavy duty steel unit...
    I also ran a heavy steel cable with lock thru this along with my BBQ setup all tied back into the trailer to keep things from running off hehe...

Roy Ken

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019