Tried a different cast iron seasoning method

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by kstephens, Nov 15, 2016.

1. kstephens

kstephens Member

Usually stick to crisco and bake off. However, I got a brand new cast iron pan (Lodge), and while it seems good, I was not confident in the "pre"seasoning, and thought I would give a different method a try. While researching I came across this article for using Flaxseed oil....
    http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

I though I would try this but after one round in the oven at 400 - I wasn't fond of the smell. I did the next five on the grill - keeping the temp around 450 for an hour or two, and then cool off. Yes, 6 cycles of this - just wanted to see if it is all it was cracked up to be. It seems to be the most durable seasoning I have put on one, and one of the more non-stick from the first cook. This will be my new method for all re-seasoning - just need a free weekend and I am going to do my dutch ovens.

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Where did you find the flax seed oil?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I use the Lodge Seasoning Spray, so far so good...

https://smile.amazon.com/Lodge-A-SPRAY-Seasoning-Spray-8-Ounce/dp/B00J9QVVG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479263066&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge+seasoning+spray

6. kstephens

kstephens Member

I found it in the organic/fridge section of our grocery (Kroger). It was $8-$9 for an 8 oz. bottle. However, I used very little when seasoning -no more than an ounce on a 12" pan total for all 6 coats - a teaspoon per coat and wiped out thoroughly before heating. I am thinking I can get through my 2 dutch ovens - and probably still have enough to repeat a couple of those. I don't see the price as unreasonable, especially if it really is more durable than traditional seasoning.

7. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

X2 on the Lodge seasoning spray. So far I'm happy with that.

8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Have used it....but read the label...its just 100% canola oil