Trip from hades

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by crazymama30, Jul 20, 2018.

1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

So everything went done before we left for the trip. Took my son to a store and scraped the pavement and that is where the trouble might have started. About 10 miles down the road we got a flat tire. Called AAA, I had not upgraded to rv coverage, so I did that even though they would not cover the current problem. I could not get the lug nuts off, called a local tire place and they came out and changed the tire. Less than 5 miles down the road I got another flat. No spare. This time called AAA and had the pup towed to a tire place and got all new tires (tires could be old). When the tow truck guy got there he showed me where a portion of metal trim was bend and rubbing on the tire. Thankfully not the frame. They bent it back, and on to camping we went. Got to the spot, and the electric lift just clicks. Tried where I thought the manual lift was and it was not it, bolt came off. Tried running jumper cables from tow vehicle to battery on pup, no go just clicked. Came home, plugged her in and charged the batteries. Went out this morning batteries charged and it just clicks. I will call a mobile RV place and see if they can fix it when they open. Does anyone here have any idea what could be wrong? The click reminds me of a car when the battery is dead

Dan from Troup likes this.
  2. crazymama30

I fixed it. When I scraped coming out of a parking lot I scraped the wires and I just patched them together with electrical tape and ot works. No mobile rv repair bill. On our way out (again)!

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

So glad to hear you are on your way again! You will have a great trip since you already got the bumps out of the way.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Oh, these will be the trips you remember and talk about.

Last year, I hopped in my clipper and stopped for fuel. Gasoline is pouring from underneath. My front tank sprung a leak. Drove it to my local shop and they drained out the entire tank. I went and filled the rear tank and headed off camping.

That was when I had the "Great GPS Adventure". It misguided me into the middle of the mountains for 3-1/2 hours then told me "go off road for 4 miles". I ended up parked by a small lake for the night while I tried to figure out how to get out of there. Next morning some forest employees came out to grade the road and helped me get back to a real road (I had been on "roads" that were rock fills and hiking trails). Got to my reserved campground around 10 am that morning and everything was uneventful from then on. But the story I came home with was priceless.

Good luck with the rest of the trip. And don't believe your GPS!

KamperKel likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The old saying "every day camping is an adventure" Sounds like your trip up was an adventure all in itself. Glad you got everything squared away and could keep on camping and you got it figured out without having to pay for repairs at home.. I used to have a tom Thumb GPS and it was forever getting lost, I finally threw them away and got a Garmin, lots less getting lost with it.
    Good Luck and Happy camping

6. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Stuff happens - great to hear you fixed the lift problem on your own. Have fun!

7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Goodness.. you certainly had some very bad luck there.. so sorry I know that must have been very frustrating.

I hope you can put it all behind you and have a GOOD CAMPING EXPERIENCE of relaxation and fun!!!

Every minute counts in our lives and we do have to roll with the punches some times...

best wishes on your trip.. : )

8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know how everyone gets so many flat tires.
    Does no one ever check the tire pressure, or appearance of the tires?

I see many campers and boat trailers sitting along the highway on a block with a missing tire and/or hub.
    Maybe I'm just really attentive with things, I won't buy cheap tires and I replace them when they get old no matter how good they look.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted and hope you have a great trip.

JPBar likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

So glad it was an fairly painless fix. Like others said this trip will be talked about for years around the campfire with laughter and smiles. You will remember the lesson you learned as well. Not to mention watching out for those pesky curbs that seen to jump out at you. [;)] .
    As for GPS, she has led me on many adventures I didn't ask for myself. She was technically correct but more of the less traveled road. One trip I just got off the mountain pass and knew I was close to the campground, my excitment was high except GPS decided I first had to drive through old town with coblestone streets to get to the road I need just beyond the town. The streets were very very narrow and corners sharp. GPS kept on insisting I have to turn. I couldn't, the corner was much too tight for me to make it with the camper with out hitting something. I continue driving, GPS is very insistent that I have to turn around and take said road. Managed to find an abandoned warehouse to park and decided to take a walk in town with the GPS in hand. Walked though town until I came up with a route that would work for me. Leaving the campground it took me down the road I was supposed to have taken with no problems. I guess GPS just felt the town needed to be seen first.

10. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I too see a lot of trailers of different types parked on the side of the road missing a wheel for some reason. In this case, these flats were the result of a piece of metal rubbing the tires. Not sure why that wasn't found while doing the first tire swap, but.... Anyway, these flats were not necessarily from lack of maint, but possibly from a scraped piece of metal that came into play when leaving a parking lot.

Glad everything worked out in the end.

crazymama30 likes this.
  11. crazymama30

My tires looked fine, and I did check the air pressure. When i scraped coming out of a parking lot it bent a piece of metal trim and that was rubbing on the tires which caused them to go flat. The guy from les schwab didn't notice it, nor did i, when he changed the first flat but once it was up on the bed of the tow truck you could see it clear as daym

12. WVhillbilly

About the wiring.
    Does it run under the frame? If so, can you relocate it?

We bought an "off road" trailer because anything that rides low wouldn't last long here.
    That and the fact that my favorite campground are down dirt/gravel roads.

13. crazymama30

It is not under the frame, but is kind of in front of the frame. Where the body or shell of the pup comes down, then it turns into an aluminum/metal piece. The frame thankfully suffered no damage

WVhillbilly likes this.
  14. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

You said the tires could be old. Now that you have all new tires, what is the state of your wheel bearings? When were they last serviced?

15. crazymama30

Probably a long time ago or never. I have to fix the hole in the cupboard created by the flat tire and then I will pop her down and take her un and do that.

16. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

Sorry for your nightmare trip - at least it would have been a nightmare for a newbie like me. On the bright side - thank you for posting this, it clued me in that I needed to call AAA and upgrade my coverage before I take my PUP out on the road again. I would never be without AAA, but I just didn't think about adding the camper until I read your post. A million than you's!!!

17. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee whiz, quite the trip you got started.. Do keep your chin up.

A note on tires for everyone. Many campers do not see enough mileage to wear the tread down but that does not mean that they are still good or safe. If you see cracks in the sidewalls, personally I'd replace them. Tires go bad from wear and UV rot and then the chance of them blowing apart on your "fun" trip, goes up. If you don't trust your own eyes, I'd suggest you take your camper to your favorite tire shop and ask them what they think of your tires.

We lost two tires and one wheel on a trip once and we'll not let that happen again. No fun was added during that adventure.

WVhillbilly, Orchid and Rik Peery like this.
  18. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I had trouble right away on my OFF-ROAD StarCraft RT14... The wiring inside the cabinets go down below the thrailer through a1-inch hole and then it went in every direction to get to where it was suppose to go to (Shortest path so to speak).

After dragging a few wires off I decided to do it my way haha... I installed PVC Electrical boxes under all of the cabinets that had wires coming down under the trailer... Then I ran PVC Conduit attached up under the floor and routed next to the metal frames etc and ended up with a round robin things with all my cables...

This also solved another problem with all those open holes under the trailer going thru the floor. You could turn on our interior lights inside the trailer at night and look under the trailer and see all kinds of light shining thru in several places... All of this is now sealed up good keeping the bugs out...

The PCV electrical boxes have multiple ports as needed to route cables and being upsidedown you can remove the lids to gain access to the cables being routed thru it... Now all of my cables are inside PVC tubing going to where they need to route to... I cut out a large hole in the middle of the boxes and screwed these boxes to the bottom of the trailer floor to gain access to the bottom of the cabinets that had wiring... All is sealed good between the electrical box and the floor...

This is a typical PVC electric box with a removal lid cover... All of these including the pvc conduit available from LOWES...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Sort of like this drawing I have...

[​IMG]
    Roy's drawing...

Didn't really take a long time to get this all going and now no more worry about dragging off cables under the trailer...

Being a HAM RADIO guy I am always running RG cables somewhere playing with my toys... Nice having an enclosed cable path around the trailer...

This is another interior drawing showing where most of our items are located inside the trailer...

[​IMG]
    Roy's drawing

Obviously I have too much time on my hands hehe...

I try real hard NOT to have surprises when camping off-road out in the woods somewhere... Things do crop up however. It takes a lot of planning to have a good PLAN B for all of the things that popup unexpected...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

WVhillbilly likes this.
  19. WVhillbilly

New tires every 5 years as a rule on any trailer, no matter how good they look.
    Cheap insurance I think.

20. Oldshirt

Oldshirt Member

Pretty much decided not to head towards the River Hades after reading your post.... Maybe something closer like the Salmon River, rather than a trip into Greek mythology! Lol. Glad it worked out in the end.