Trip to Western States

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by scubacamper, Apr 21, 2019.

1. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Okay I've been surfing for 2 days and I still haven't found what I'm looking for so I'll ask those of you who live out that way. WHAT IS THERE TO DO?

Here's the deal, like last year we're FLYING out west (last year was the GC and Phoenix area) so this year we were thinking about Crater Lake but there isn't much around it unless we drive 4 hrs to John Day Fossil Bed NP. Now I'm not adverse to that but they we need a place to stay in the area and there isn't much.

Okay how about Reno (I was on a Naval Det to Fallon many years ago but again in late July early August I can't find much to do for the family. The DD's are 9 & 11 now so we have to be careful what we book. We like canoeing. rock / fossil hunting, horse back and jeep tours as well as tubing etc., but I just can't find much unless we drive out there with the PUP or rent an RV which we really don't want to do.

Any thoughts from the locals out there? I'd like to books something for about a week and drive within 3 hrs to see and do things.

Thanks

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Check this site out: https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/nevada

Near Reno, you have:

Virginia City is a great place to visit - the girls will love it.

Lake Tahoe - visit Emerald Bay

Drive down Hwy 50 to Hwy 49 and you can visit a few caverns. Moaning Cavern has a zipline and you can rappel down into the cavern. There is also a spelunking option. California Caverns has a raft tour. Black Chasm is very pretty. There are some nice hotels in the area - the Hotel Leger in Mokelumne Hill, Ca is really nice. I took my niece and her friend and friend's mom. The girls stayed in room 12 and we stayed in room 11. It's supposedly haunted, so the girls spent the day being mighty ghost hunters.

scubacamper likes this.
  3. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Stay in Bend or Sunriver, then do some day trips out to Crater Lake, fossil beds, thunderegg beds, etc. Canoe the river by Sunriver, float the river in Bend, whitewater rafting trips in several places, horseback riding, hiking, mtn biking, high desert museum, Newberry National Volcanic Monument, hike down in a lava tube, take the chair lift to the top of Mt Bachelor. www.visitbend.com

scubacamper likes this.
  4. penny

penny Well-Known Member

Are you decided on Nevada? or surrounding states? We have only been through Nevada once, just driving. My son took his kids to see Hoover Dam and they enjoyed it. Lake Tahoe area is beautiful and lots to do. nothing I have any personal experience with.

5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I can highly recommend Newberry, both the campground area by the lakes and then the visitor center area and lava tube. We spend a couple of days in Newberry 2 years ago and I could spend a week there, it is great and not very crowded. There are all sorts of places to hike and waterfalls to see kind of between Newberry and Crater Lake. Actually that whole area from Hood river up on the Columbia all the down past Bend to Crater lake has lots of great things to see and do. If you stay somewhere in the middle, you can go either North or South.

scubacamper likes this.
  6. scubacamper

Penny,
    Nothing has been set in stone as we've also looked at Yellowstone, Glacier NP on an Amtrak trip from Chicago but everything is up for grabs but we need to do it asap to get the best rates.

7. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I just wondered. If Grand Canyon was last year, that was a nice highlite of Az. I love NM, but it's spread out. and every state has beauty. One of our favorite destinations is a trip up the Coast of Mid to North CA. I don't know how the fires have altered the Wine country. I'd love to go even further. B&BAir, HomeAway and such have beach houses to rent too.. Monterey aquarium is great, but I just love the wild beaches, etc. Of course we have no beaches near us. North doesn't have quite the great hoards of people that SoCal has in the summer.

8. scubacamper

Penny,

My now deceased MIL was from CA and the DW was possibly interested in Knottsberry but the girls and I are more interested in outdoor things like canoeing etc., though because of their ages they're not big on just hiking and I can't put them into a kayak by themselves though my oldest might be able to handle it. Some years ago before we had the DD's we kayaked down the Colorado from the Hoover Dam and stopped at several springs along the way which was great but we'll have to wait for another few years for that to happen again.

As mentioned earlier in this post places like the Lava Tubes, Fossil Beds and such are good options but we'd also like to do horseback / jeep riding and rockhounding (looking for gems) are all high on the list. We may, though it's not high on the list, go back to Phoenix and do the jeep tours in Sedona as well as the tubing down the Salt River. We also enjoyed the train trip from Williams to the GC though we've done that and now looking for other adventures.

9. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

We love Knottsberry, but if you want to do more outdoor stuff come up the coast. I would goto Morro Bay and the dunes of Pismo Beach. There is good kayaking in bay, and you can rent buggies for the dunes. There is also horse back riding in the hills and on the beach. Hurst castle is just north of Morro Bay too.

scubacamper likes this.
  10. penny

penny Well-Known Member

Well, It's pretty hard to not have a good time with kids and a sense of adventure! I'm sure where ever you decide to go, it will be a great summer!

scubacamper likes this.