Trouble keeping door closed while inside Viking trailer

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Brian K, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Problem that we have been facing this summer. When it is time for bed, two teenage kids and two adults are in the Viking - we are snug in bed and the door won't latch. I have been using a small bungee to keep it closed. The door only fails to latch @ night - when the beds are being used. Are we flexing the frame with the beds out & occupied? What can I do to keep the door latched to secure the door? Do we need to crank the stabilizing legs more?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member

I think you have figured out the problem. Probably not the frame but the side wall on the door side is sagging because of the weight on the bed and transmitted to the bedrails.

3. brettstoner

brettstoner Member

You need to measure everything with and without weight on the bunks. It sounds like the gap on the door side is widening at the top as the front and rear walls sag outward due to the weight. You would need to reinforce them with something from the top of the end walls angled down to the frame to prevent the flexing on the door side. Someone on here has used a turnbuckle, wire, and eye ropes. I would probably try to use wood or hide it inside a cabinet if that was the case. But measure your door and/or use a laser level to see what is flexing.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

with angled supports under the beds, the weight on the beds causes a PULL on the front wall of the PU, more weight more PULL. Having a opening in the side wall (door) and with age the side wall looses structural support to keep the door opening the same with/without the weight. Very apparent when there is water damage to the floor near the door side wall and the side wall comes loose from the floor. In this post, Juan got rid of the ice box and reinforced to add back structure.

I attempted to make a video showing how the side wall with opening is not as strong as without a door!

the opening, weaken staples inside the walls, water damage, age are some of the issues that let the door open with bunk end weight.

zak99b5 likes this.
  5. BigAl

BigAl Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I have the same problem. My temporary solution has been to put a clamp on the outside of the camper from the top rail next to the door down to the frame once set up. It’s not pretty but keeps the door shut at night.

6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I suspect you need to snug up the stabilizers more as you torque the frame when in bed and this is causing it to sag. It will be most noticeable on the rear as the front has the tongue to help there. You can play around with the stabilizers and the door with people on the rear bed til you find the right approach.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

You may need additional supports to the pull outs all the way to the ground. This prevents the forces having to be transferred through the frame to the stabilizers.

8. Budowar

Budowar New Member

Same problem here. I use a bottle jack instead of one of the back stabilizers. I place it as far back as I can on the tube portion of the frame on the door side. I raise the jack , then I test locked door with wife on the bed. Repeat until the door locks. The door sometimes has a little rub at the bottom, but it locks.

1380ken likes this.
  9. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

I had the same problem caused by a previous owner. I found several solutions.
    1. I use the ratcheting cargo bars as support under the bunk end and then crank them up to put more weight on the outside then on the middle of the bunk by the support beams. Inked2017-09-02 10.23.34 - 2_LI.jpg
    The next picture covers 2, 3 and 5. Inked2019-04-28 18.24.04 - 2.jpg
    2. (Blue) I installed a second latch (the bottom blue) to the door to hold the door to the frame. The top one broke. I had to go with a small one otherwise it will cause problems when storing the door. I found that out the hard way!!
    3. (Green) With help, I installed an extra "shim" on the door to help the latch catch.
    4. A friend reinforced the underside of the door area.
    Even with 4, I still find that 1, 2 and 3 are needed. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night to find out the door is open and the dogs are outside wandering around.

#5 is unrelated to this post but since it was in the picture and it is one of my top "mods"..... A door handle to pull the door shut that doesn't interfere with the storage of the door on the ceiling.

10. tgau16

tgau16 Member

We do the bungee method-to feel safer at night too. We had a sleep walker!!