Troubleshooting help 3 way fridge

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by haggisbasher, Aug 24, 2019.

1. haggisbasher

haggisbasher New Member

Morning all

I am hoping to elicit the wisdom of the group re my 3 way fridge. I'm currently dry camping and my fridge will not get cold at all. I have read the stickies and any threads I can find that are close but still cannot seem to fix my issue.

The fridge has never worked very well on propane it seems to work as designed on 110 and somewhat on 12v but on propane it has varied from a little cool to nothing at all.

Before this trip I pulled the fridge out and replaced the insulation around it blew out the chimney with an air compressor cleaned all the dust off the fins etc. I inverted the fridge for a bit in case it was airlocked. After reinstalling it I wasn't able to test it as I don't have a way to level it in my driveway.
    The fridge lights no problem and the flame has been burning for three days now and still no drop in temp noticable.
    At this point the only thing I have left to try is cleaning the little filter in the gas pipe inlet. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what might be going on here. Everything I have read says they should work the best on propane but mine doesnt. The stack is currently warm but not what I would call hot I can hold my hand on it without fear of burning and thats it on high.
    Because we have never had a fully functional fridge we rely on ice boxes but I'd really like to figure out what's going on here.

Thanks
    Tom

2. Pnut

Pnut Member

Somewhere I saw a in depth video on cleaning the propane system. I think yours still needs some cleaning. My stack gets pretty hot. It's hot enough that it will burn you if you leave your hand on there very long.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

When you took the unit out, were there any yellow stains back there? Yellow stains could indicate an ammonia leak.

It's odd it works on 120VAC but not LP... if the flame is on, and nice and blue, it should cool about 40 degrees below ambient inside the fridge. BUT... it can take as long as 24 hours to cool down. Has it run at least 24 hours in a level condition?

Blackripley likes this.
  4. Pnut

Pnut Member

Here is a great thread about cleaning the unit.

5. haggisbasher

haggisbasher New Member

That's what I put together from the many threads I read. I think it's just not running hot enough to actually cool anything.

QUOTE="Pnut, post: 1299545, member: 104245"]Somewhere I saw a in depth video on cleaning the propane system. I think yours still needs some cleaning. My stack gets pretty hot. It's hot enough that it will burn you if you leave your hand on there very long.[/QUOTE]

6. haggisbasher

haggisbasher New Member

Thanks I'll check that out

7. haggisbasher

haggisbasher New Member

No signs of ammonia leaks and I could here it bubbling and sloshing when I inverted it.

8. haggisbasher

haggisbasher New Member

It's been running three days now in level condition and still no noticeable cooling air temp here right now is around 27-28c during the day

9. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

I have to take a utility knife and slice the flame slots open every single spring. Otherwise the flame is hot strong enough to do anything. Your baffling may also be messed, although if it still works on 110 then there is still some baffling left, or it would not work at all.

10. Pooch

Pooch New Member

Not trying to hijack this thread but I kind of have the same problem, my fridge cools somewhat on propane but not on 12V or 110. I have not removed it and turned upside down or anything like that. Any suggestions much appreciated.