Troubleshooting power issue on Fleetwood Niagra

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Kitrina, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

Hi there. First-time poster here.
    Just bought a 2007 Fleetwood Niagara last weekend and I'm trying to troubleshoot a power supply issue.

When we're hooked up to shore power, everything works great. When we are on battery, everything is dead. No lights, radio, outlets, fridge, or anything.

1: The PO installed brand new battery the day we came to pick up the camper. It seems to work because the power roof lift works (up and down). I believe it is hooked up correctly (pic attached)

2: I have checked breakers and a visual inspection of fuses looks like everything is good. I don't know anything about electrical or how to test connections with a tester :(

I cannot figure out why we still don't get power off the battery. Here are a few pics of the battery and the wiring at the 2 corners between the wall and roof.

Any suggestions on next steps to troubleshoot are appreciated! IMG_8545 copy.jpg IMG_8545 copy.jpg IMG_8545 copy.jpg IMG_8570 copy.jpg IMG_8571 copy.jpg IMG_8572 copy.jpg

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

, start with the fuses.

Kitrina likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

And only dc stuff will work off the battery. This is usally, lights, heater fan, water pump, and your lift. You will not get outlet power or ac off a battery.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just like sjm9911 I would start at the fuses. By the way something I noticed on my unit... Those white clips you see both on the tongue and the side of the camper how do those wires look going in and out of it? On my unit I found a few frayed wires where the wires were like pulling out of the housing. That was the reason my DC didn't work on mine. Hopefully it's something as simple.

HappyTraveler, Kitrina and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The battery is hooked up correctly ....... now ....... but if in the past the terminals were reversed it would blow the "battery" fuse on the right hand side of the convertor. Usually a 20 yellow fuse.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

So should I just replace all the fuses and go from there? There is a 20, a couple 15's, and then 2 40's for the reversed battery protection.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Find a HF coupon for a free multi-meter. Many videos on Youtube on using multi-meters. Pull fuses and ohm out with the meter. Meter readings will help us, help you, without guessing.

HappyTraveler and Kitrina like this.
  8. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

Fuses all look good. I don't have a tester though. Suggestions for next step?

9. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

Thanks. I'm not getting anything that would normally work off the battery.

10. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

Okay I will get one and report back :)

HappyTraveler likes this.
  11. Kitrina

Kitrina Member

My electrician friend tested everything with a volt meter and the battery, fuses, etc tested ok. Ran out of time but he said it could be a wiring issue between the converter (inverter?) and the battery. 2 questions: is there a battery switchover button somewhere or does the Niagra do that automatically? Does the converter (or inverter, can't rmember the proper term) have fuses that I need to look at and if so, where would they be located? TIA!!

12. Alath-Qul

Alath-Qul New Member

I just bought an 06 Niagara. The battery is less that 2 years old according to the sticker but I think I need a new one.
    I let it charge for a couple days when I first bought it and the interior lights all worked when disconnected, water pump too.
    Took it out on first trip a month later and battery was dead.
    I got it home this week after the trip and plugged it in again. I tested the air conditioner and microwave and water pump while plugged in and they all worked... fuses were all good as well. I hope you get yours figured out. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Kitrina likes this.
  13. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Did you disconnect the battery while the trailer wasn't being used? If not, the obvious answer is parasitic draw killed the battery, even the CO/LP detector is enough over the course of a few weeks to kill a battery. Either plug the trailer into shore power while it's parked unused OR after you're sure it's been fully recharge disconnect the battery, either physically or with a battery disconnect switch.

14. GreyFox

Your '07 Niagara has an auto switching converter (not inverter) which has fuses on it's front panel, one (or 2 depending on model) which will be reverse polarity fuse(s), meaning if you connect the battery backwards these fuses will blow to protect the converter. On Fleetwood campers the black cable connects to the battery positive terminal, white to negative. Wired into that black cable is an auto resetting circuit breaker so if you have power at the battery itself but not from the output of the CB then it's open and should be replaced.

[​IMG]

Kitrina likes this.
  15. drocks

drocks Member

My 2008 Niagara had the LPG leak detector and the smoke detector on the ceiling wired as hot all the time with no way to shut them off other than to disconnect the battery. Since these draw so little amperage, I rewired them so they are shut down by the 12V shutdown switch located under the plate attached to the rear bed frame. They are now connected to the hot wire that powers the ceiling lights. I discovered it after walking out past the trailer at 10 pm and hearing the smoke detector chirping.

16. GreyFox

That's unusual as trailers built in the last 20 yrs would normally have a combo LP/CO detector mounted near the floor and be hardwired to the trailer's 12 vdc system. When the trailer isn't being used you want to either have it plugged into shore power so the converter change maintain a charge on the trailer battery OR if no shore power is available disconnect the trailer battery so parasitic draw doesn't draw down the battery and cause the LP/CO detector to alarm. A smoke detector is normally mounted on the ceiling and is self powered, most often with a 9 volt battery, and is not wired into the trailer's 12 vdc system. It sure is odd your '08 Niagara isn't wired in this manner. [?:~{]

17. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I dont know if the 2007's have a Battery Safety shutoff switch on the sink or not. But if it does it is probaly the issue as they are known to fail.

18. GreyFox

No, and never did. The purpose of the galley switch was to ensure 12 vdc power couldn't get to the trailer's ceiling lights which when the trailer is folded down would be touching the tenting and potentially set that tenting alight. This has nothing to do with the battery itself.

19. drocks

drocks Member

The LP detector is mounted in the rear wall near the floor and the smoke detector is mounted in the ceiling at the roadside front. Both are hard wired with no shutoff switch to either of them. The LP detector is wired directly from the convertor and the smoke detector was wired into the same wire as the constant hot ceiling plugs for the fan/light combo to plug into. That's why I rewired them to be included on a switched circuit. I also added a switch in the power wire to the radio as the LCD display in the radio could not be shut off either, even if the radio was off.

20. GreyFox

Perhaps you're mistaken - this 2008 Highlander parts book indicates your Niagara came with a hard wired LP detector and a ceiling mounted CO detector, no smoke detector. Item #9, Pages 40 / 41.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ighlander_Parts_Book.pdf?16695232820753828628