Trout Pond Rec Area - GW National Forest

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by SmilinBeard, Apr 29, 2014.

1. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We have reservations for May at Trout Pond in George Washington National Forest. Anyone been there and have tips on where to buy ice and incidental groceries, good restaurants and the like?

Thanks,
    Smilin

2. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

dont know but i like to hear about your trip i want to camp there some time. good luck

3. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

SmilinBeard, any reviews on this campground yet?

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Baker is the closest town, then Morefield, complete with a Wally World. Don't expect cell service.

5. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We returned from Trout Pond so here is our report.

DH loved the quiet, DD loved all the rocks and I loved everything about it!

The all the sites are fully shaded, and they tried real hard not to take out any trees when leveling the camping pads, As a result, the sites are sometimes in odd shapes. Ours was the traditional driveway with a rectangle on the end, but some where Y shaped with the table on one arm and your pup on the other. One even had a trail across a stream to get to the table!

I here the fishing is good in the area, and a good proportion of the campers were anglers. We were there for the hiking. The others tended to be retired folks. I didn't see any children, but that might change, after school is out and the water warms up.

As I checked things out, I found a map book put out by the Forrest Service, It designates which roads are for all vehicles, which are 4wd only etc. You are 'required' to keep it in your car. Guess they got tired of people getting stuck with inadequate vehicles.

National Geographic has a good topo map with trails, springs etc marked on it. It was invaluable in getting around, and planning hikes.

As expected there was not cell service. We did find it deeper in the woods on a knob!

One day we went to Wardensville, 1/2 hour north for lunch. We wanted to eat at Star Mercantile, but being before Memorial Day it was closed. We ate at Ka-Pa-Con Restaurant instead. DD thought is was awesome. DW and I thought the food was good, but the deserts were impressive.

Wardensville has a 7-11, with gas pumps. Their market is closed, with a for rent sign on it. The town of Baker's market, is little larger than a convenience store. I guess it is 45-min or more to Moorefield, where the nearest Walmart is.

We had a great time had hope others do too.