Truck scale fail

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by leningradka, Apr 30, 2016.

1. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

Hey guys! So I'm a truck stop. Was able to weigh my truck and trailer only. They were able to separate the weight of the trailer from the truck (I think). But they will not do trailer tongue by itself not the rear axle of my truck. Any suggestions while
    I'm here are appreciated. (You should have heard the commentary I endured from truck drivers explaining what I was trying to do. Pretty much was called a dumb woman. Ok done venting)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

My total experience with truck scales has been with Cat Scales, found just off Interstates near major cities and highway junctions. Google to find sites nearest to you.

The scales we have used (2) had three platforms. To get trailer axle weight, tongue weight, and tow vehicle weight requires using all three platforms. Pull on to the scale such that trailer axle is on the first platform, tongue will be on middle platform when unhitched, and the unhitched tow vehicle is on the third platform. After getting the scale ticket, hitch up promptly and clear the scale for the next customer.

Do the math to get total trailer weight, percentage of total trailer weight on the tongue, and total trailer and tow unit combination weight.

Whole process took about fifteen minutes each time. Cost this time last year at Longmont, CO was $12.00. The info led us to do some redistribution of the load.

3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Don't worry about what those other guys think. They aren't towing your pup. Hope you got most of the information that you needed. Lot's of other ideas about how to weigh here. CAT scales are easy with the 3 platforms.

one more hint, make sure to chock the tires even though you are on a flat surface. Hate to see your pup glide away at a truck stop!

4. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

I had trouble both times I went to the CAT scales at my local Pilot stop.

I couldn't get my setup spaced correctly on the three scales, as the middle one was too wide and either my pup tires and TV tires were both on it or my TV front tires were not on the scale at all.

I ended up having to pull around and reweigh ($2 charge) to get the tongue weight.

Not these cat scales, btw...lol

[​IMG]

5. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

I use the scale at my local scrap yard.

6. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

If you are looking for the general weight of the tongue you could find the specs online for your pup and it would be listed there. You will need to add the battery and propane I would suspect.

Pay no attention to the men. They were probably saying that to each other and then secretly thinking now that is a woman I could like.

7. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nope, do not unhitch on the scale.

If all you want is the tongue weight, the easiest thing to do is pull on the scales with the truck on the first plate and the trailer on the second plate (if you have a weight distribution hitch, disengage the distribution but leave the trailer coupled to the truck - and do this BEFORE you pull onto the scale). Get the weight taken and drive off the scale and go park. Unhitch the trailer and then go and get a second weight of just the truck. The truck just needs to be on the first plate. The cost here in Maryland was $12.50 for the first weight and 2 bucks for each reweigh).

Tongue weight is the truck weight with trailer attached minus the truck weight without the trailer.

Now if you need to know what the load is on each axle, that requires using three scale plates and putting the front truck axle on the first plate, the back truck axle on the second plate and the trailer on the third plate. (I just did this last weekend with my new camper - needed to do this for the weight distribution checks and tongue weight - it required three trips around onto the scales, one with weight distribution, one without weight distribution and one with truck only. - nobody got mad at me or called me a dumb women).

8. leningradka

Nice kitty!

9. leningradka

Thanks to everyone!

So I was at a CAT scale and put truck on the first platform and trailer on the second without unhitching. The TV is 6600 and trailer was closer to 3300 (I loaded it as if I was going camping , minus food and water). I wanted to unhitch and put the tongue on the front platform, but they told me (the operator inside who was the truck stop manager) that it was a futile exercise as it will not detect under 1000lbs - said they tried to weight ATVs before and it wouldn't detect them. So at least I did it half way right. There is RV show in town today, I will see what I can figure out there. (Wish me luck on not blowing a budget on gadgets!!!).

I also talked to RV dealer in town that does a lot of pup servicing , and he will take a look at it for me. He did say that I'm right on the cusp of needing a WDH and the way the trailer feels on the back of the trip I think I'm gonna go ahead and get it anyways.

You guys are my amazing life line!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I would use a bathroom scale or two!

with one scale. get a 2' board on the scale with the other end supported.
    lower the tongue on the board in the middle (PU should be level and chocked), read the scale and double the reading. With two you just add the two scale readings together.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

If you had disconnected the PU and measured the truck alone, you could have calculated what you needed. Truck with TW minus truck alone = TW.

I like measuring the truck on two different scales so you can see/calculate what the weight change is with and with out the PU.

11. leningradka

So I have the weight
    Of the truck (6600) plus trailer(pup) 3240. If tomorrow I go and weigh the truck alone, I can calculate it?

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Yes. only pay for a reweigh if you can!

truck and TW 6600 less truck alone = TW

assuming the 3240 is just the PU axle weight, the whole PU would be 3240 + TW

truck alone + TW + PU axle = total of both.

Note: this math does not work for WDH since the trailer axle gets some of the weight taken off the rear truck axle.

13. leningradka

14. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

The math works fine for finding the tongue weight of the trailer. Where bubkis is right is that it does not tell you how much load is being placed on your rear axle of your TV, however with a WDH in place it will put this tongue weight on both TV axles. Afterall, a WDH doesn't remove weight from your camper and it also doesn't put the weight back on the trailer axle.

*** EDIT ***

Just reread Bubkis' post. Going to have to go think about this a bit. I may be wrong about my statements above and don't want to confuse anyone, so ignore my post for the moment.

15. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

THEN THEY WOULD HAVE LOTS OF VALID COMMENTS! [LOL]

16. ChocoChock01

Is the 3240# a completely empty PUP? No Gas or Water? Gear stored inside?

The NADA Spec is

Base Weight (lbs / kg): 3275 / 1485.5
    Carrying Capacity (lbs / kg): 695 / 315.3
    Hitch Weight (lbs / kg): 230 / 104.3
    http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2010/Coleman/Niagara-4433/6006954/Specs

17. ChocoChock01

*** EDIT ***

18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Why are you worried about your tongue weight? What is the tongue weight limit of your tow vehicle? I would guess that you need more tongue weight, if your ride isn't good.

19. leningradka

I loaded everything except water tanks and coolers.

20. leningradka

Truck scale fail

I believe the limit is 600lbs but I have to look (dh is driving it right now). I'm worried about it because my understanding is that it will tell me if I need WDH. My suspension in the rear is not the best and has been repaired several times. So I was thinking that WDH would take unnecessary stress off the rear axle on TV.