Trying to be patient ...

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by drhuggybear, Jan 18, 2013.

1. drhuggybear

drhuggybear Member

So we are making use of the long weekend. Myself and DD2 left early today and came out to do some camping. Got here early and got a lakeside campsite. All is well with the world. DW and DD1 will be joining us tomorrow. Am trying to have some daddy-daughter time with my youngest before she is too old to hang out with dad.

Across the road from us is a couple with 2 dogs. They tied them to a tree and 1 has barked nonstop for several hours. Before anyone gets all frustrated and start saying I hate animals and I should just deal with it ... I have a dog. I understand dogs are like kids ... sometimes they make noise ... but there comes a point where it's just ... too much. We are approaching quiet time and the dog is still going strong.

Earlier DD2 and I were coming back from finding a geocache and he was barking at us as we were riding up the road. As I rode by I said "Well aren't you a talkative one. You tell me all about it." Owner just glared at me. Really?

Sigh ... I have a feeling this is going to be a long night.

2. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Bummer! Sounds like you might need some earplugs! And maybe they'll leave tomorrow? Oh by the way, I'm jealous! You're camping!

Campit

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Our neighbor has a dog that cries outside all day. I can hear it inside the house.
    Put the second note on the door today, we'll see if it ends.
    Some people... [:(]

4. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Let me start by saying I am a dog owner and my mutt is a big part of our family. Tod (short for That One Dog) starting out barking like crazy when we were camping. My DW purchased a product call "PetZoom" that fits on a keychain. Push the button in the proximity of a dog and the dog will cease whatever negative behavior they are doing. I used it one time at home with the neighbor dog and the barking stopped immediately. It does not hurt them and it will restore your sanity and the other owner will never know you used it.

http://www.amazon.com/Petzoom-8140-PetZoom-Sonic-Trainer/dp/B003EYUDT2

5. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

The owner probably glared at you because he/she might not know how to communicate with their dog...it was probably more of a look of ignorance [::)] That's the type of thing I say also to dogs like that.

- Sometimes it's not easy, but try talking to the owner.
    - If that doesn't work, ask for help (private or public campground)
    - If all else fails, I'd just move to another part of the campground. The extra work would be worth it in the long run if I was staying a while.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I guess I have to count my blessings. Our guy will only bark at doorbells, and then 1 or 2 barks. Sorry to say if I had a barker and he bother others we would have to make adjustments. [2C]

7. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I like the invisible dog zapper. LOL
    ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP ZAP....
    As the bewildered owner tries to figure out why their dog is cowering in the corner.
    OSD just looks at people to see if they have any food. If not, he lays back down. He also makes trips at dinner time around the CG to mooch. (not-so) Stupid dog...

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I can see you now BigBaron....walking through the campground, zap zap zap, dogs cowering and whining. They'd figure it out though, as soon as they spotted you on the ground laughing your arse off! [:O] [LOL] [LOL]

I never thought of that, even though I once owned one of those clickers that would open and close 3 major brands of garage doors! Oh my GAWD was that ever funny. Of course, if you did that today, you'd probably be charged for at least 3 felonies. The dorks ruined it for all of us.

I think I'll take my dog whistle with me next trip that my dogs AREN'T with me and maybe play a little. heh heh heh

EDIT: They also have cheaper, better rated regular dog whistles on there real cheap. Plus you can tuck that right into any pocket and it looks all innocent. [}:)]

[:D]

9. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Just ordered one through Amazon. On sale for $11.99. :)

10. PDieter

PDieter Member

not a lot of dogs acting out wishing for more attention in Korea, if you know what I mean. ;)

11. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Dog owner here [:D]

I'm not justifying the dogs barking but the owner is the one who tied them up and is allowing this behavior. Unfortunately these people haven't figured it out on there own yet but your going to have to politely go over and explain to them how impolite and disturbing to everyones camping experience it is. A ranger or camping host should also be contacted.
    I've had dogs all of my life and we would never allow that to happen but then again we don't tie our dogs to trees and ignore them.
    Hope you have a quiet evening
    People like this give well behaved camping dogs bad reputations.

12. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Wonder if that'll work on bears? [LOL]

13. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

The ones that work on bears are either really loud or make your eyes burn...
    (my autocorrect originally had "brats" instead of bears. I had to laugh!)

14. elizabeth583

elizabeth583 Member

Tempted to try one of those trainers. Our son is allergic to dogs and has had two bad reactions to being licked by dogs. Now, unfortunately, he's terrified of any dog getting close to him. Most of the pet owners we meet at campgrounds are awesome and responsible, but occasionally we meet up with somebody who thinks the leash rules don't apply to them and poor DS gets really scared if their dog runs up to him and get within licking distance.

OP, hope you guys got some peace and quiet this weekend!

15. pcfeld

pcfeld New Member

I was at a private campground that had interesting rules regarding pets. The first one was any pet outside had to be on a 'VISIBLE' leash [LOL]. Any pets not on a leash were subject to being shot as a stray animal, per code - then they listed the county ordinance. Loud or annoying pets are subject removal.

I discussed the shooting aspect with the owner and he explained he had shot only one. Using a paint gun after warning the owner a number of times. She didn't take to it to kindly as the dog was a show dog and they were on the way to a show.

16. CampChaos

CampChaos Member

I wish they made one of those zappers for humans! Every morning when I get home from work I have to wait to go to sleep until after the down stairs neighbor takes her dog outside. All I hear for about 15 minutes is her yelling.. "Come on, go poop... Will you go poop already. I'm not standing out here all day GO POOP!" Drives me absolutely crazy!! Poor dog most likely puckers his butt cheeks every time she squawks at him. Some people shouldn't own pets... PERIOD!! [:!]

17. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I'm with your son. I've had some really bad experiences too but it's had to do with biting not licking and now I'm afraid of them also. I really appreciate it when dog owners have their dogs on leashes and control their pets.

18. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I used to have a neighbor like that. He took the dog out without a leash and then screamed for the dog at the top of his lungs for it to do it's job and/or when it took off and wouldn't come back. That was bad enough but then the swearing started. Worst time was when he took the dog out at 3:00AM and screamed and swore for the dog for about 15 minutes, waking us up out of a deep sleep. He was a jerk. Thank God he sold his place and moved away! We have wonderful neighbors now.

19. CampChaos

CampChaos Member

vjlarson- Some people just don't get it. [?:~{] I'm looking forward to moving out of this apartment complex and pray I don't wind up with crappy neighbors. Glad they moved and better ones moved in. :) Makes all the difference in the world. But POOR dog [:(!]

20. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I hope it's soon for you. Or maybe your neighbor will move! :)