Trying to decide on camping kitchen

SENMCamper

Apr 26, 2017
We are thinking of purchasing a camping kitchen for cooking outdoors. Really don't need a stove stand since our stove moves outside and attaches to the side of the PUP. Just something to do prep work and set stuff up on. Recommendations? Also, I see some of them have a sink basin built in, of course we have the sink in the PUP so probably don't need that outdoor also, unless for washing veggies and such off?

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I have come to the conclusion that having an outdoor sink station is worth it if you can rig it up. I do all my cooking outside, and found myself running in an out of the camper on a regular basis when cooking larger meals due to prepping things, or doing some cleanup. It would be very convenient to have one close to where I cook, but that would require additional modifications on mine. I do have a shower on the other side, and this year I am planning on setting up a dish station on that side so the sink can drain right into the grey water tote.

I hated the factory stove that came with mine. It was heavy and bulky, and took up valuable space for travel. I eventually got rid of it and used the hose to connect to my Road Trip grill so I can hook up to the exterior port on the pup.

I used to have the big Cabelas Deluxe camp kitchen - I loved using it but that sucker was huge and heavy. I don't have a truck so eventually it had to go. Was a huge benefit to scouts though when I had it.

Bass Pro makes a nice aluminum one that has a fabric pantry and wash basin. Only weighs about 30 lbs, and folds up into a suitcase size package. If I had to buy a new one that is on the top of my list. However - I find most camp kitchens to be too low for me to use them comfortably. They are all lower than average counter height. The best option I have found that works for me is a simple folding kitchen station - it has one side table only and is super light. I can place my Igloo underneath, the convection oven sits on the middle shelf and the top is used for either one of my chuck boxes or a prep station. The side table, while still a little lower than I would like, is a solid surface, while the middle shelves are aluminum slats.

This is the one I have:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/al...n-table~p~7617k/?filterString=s~camp-kitchen/

I also have some nice adjustable height folding aluminum camp tables I got from REI on clearance. They are the perfect height to put my Weber Q grill on and a chuckbox on the other. They also allow me to adjust the height and level out over uneven ground.

My typical kitchen uses the Road Trip grill, Weber grill on its own table, 2nd table to hold a chuckbox with a stove on top, and the aforementioned kitchen station for the oven and prep.

I do have an old Lewis and Clark folding camp kitchen that I got used from a former scout family. It is heavy and beat up, but has a shallow stainless steel sink with a faucet, and this year will be plumbed into the exterior shower for extended stays as my dedicated wash station.

https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-Clark-Folding-Camp-Kitchen/dp/B000TWZMUC

bob barnes

Super Active Member
Mar 26, 2017
I have come to the conclusion that having an outdoor sink station is worth it if you can rig it up. I do all my cooking outside, and found myself running in an out of the camper on a regular basis when cooking larger meals due to prepping things, or doing some cleanup. It would be very convenient to have one close to where I cook, but that would require additional modifications on mine. I do have a shower on the other side, and this year I am planning on setting up a dish station on that side so the sink can drain right into the grey water tote.

I hated the factory stove that came with mine. It was heavy and bulky, and took up valuable space for travel. I eventually got rid of it and used the hose to connect to my Road Trip grill so I can hook up to the exterior port on the pup.

I used to have the big Cabelas Deluxe camp kitchen - I loved using it but that sucker was huge and heavy. I don't have a truck so eventually it had to go. Was a huge benefit to scouts though when I had it.

Bass Pro makes a nice aluminum one that has a fabric pantry and wash basin. Only weighs about 30 lbs, and folds up into a suitcase size package. If I had to buy a new one that is on the top of my list. However - I find most camp kitchens to be too low for me to use them comfortably. They are all lower than average counter height. The best option I have found that works for me is a simple folding kitchen station - it has one side table only and is super light. I can place my Igloo underneath, the convection oven sits on the middle shelf and the top is used for either one of my chuck boxes or a prep station. The side table, while still a little lower than I would like, is a solid surface, while the middle shelves are aluminum slats.

This is the one I have:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alpine-mountain-gear-roll-top-camp-kitchen-table~p~7617k/?filterString=s~camp-kitchen/

I also have some nice adjustable height folding aluminum camp tables I got from REI on clearance. They are the perfect height to put my Weber Q grill on and a chuckbox on the other. They also allow me to adjust the height and level out over uneven ground.

My typical kitchen uses the Road Trip grill, Weber grill on its own table, 2nd table to hold a chuckbox with a stove on top, and the aforementioned kitchen station for the oven and prep.

I do have an old Lewis and Clark folding camp kitchen that I got used from a former scout family. It is heavy and beat up, but has a shallow stainless steel sink with a faucet, and this year will be plumbed into the exterior shower for extended stays as my dedicated wash station.

https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-Clark-Folding-Camp-Kitchen/dp/B000TWZMUC
Campgrounds in Europe all come with nice outdoor kitchens some have nice places inside to cook. Believe me Europeans know how to camp I also never saw an a/c unit while over there even the ones with large campers they stayed outside until bedtime!

chambo

Apr 27, 2015
Southern California
I have the Bass Pro Shop model as well. Overall I'm happy with it. But recently I stopped taking it on the weekend trips. It's heavy and takes some time to setup/take down. I'll bring it on the longer trips but for weekend outings I usually just use the picnic table at the campground.

I use a propane pole attached to a 20# tank that I use to feed the stove and the lantern sits at the top of the pole. I've found that where I want to set up the stove is usually not the same spot as where I want to set up the lantern. Minor issue really.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We decided against a camping kitchen in favor of tables, which are much for flexible in use and how we set them up. Most of the camping kitchens we've seen are too heavy, too low, or otherwise not as useful as the tables.
We have a roll-up aluminum topped table, which adjusts up to counter height. This one is handy since the adjustment part of the legs is a slider and turn-screw, so we can have it level on almost any site. We have a couple more roll-up tables, another square one and an oblong one. If we need them higher, we have a set of bed-risers. We seldom use both of these tables at the same time - since they are a roll that is about 3' or so feet long and maybe 6-8" in diameter, they store in a small amount of space.
Last year, we added the Coleman Pack-it table, after seeing it at one of the Rallies. this is nice, since it is actually two pieces, so they can be used as a square, long oblong, or as separate tables. These have three heights, and again are compact to carry.

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
The outdoor shower has proven it's worth for us. Great for showering and great for dishwashing.

We use the outdoor shower with a discontinued Rio Brand Campers kitchen from Craigslist. The unit is lightweight aluminum, 32" tabletop, wire rack backsplash with a built in paper towel holder, lower wire rack for storing/drying and folds flat. We use Coleman high stands for the Cusinart grill and Coleman stove. All items are easily stored in the Aliner when not in use.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

3hooligans

Jul 27, 2014
Boston
We use a coleman table, and a cabala fish filet table. the sink is shallow, but I hook it up to the cold water hook up with a splitter and filter, I wash hands, food, fill coffee and tea kettle etc. I use this table for preparation and place the stove on it as needed, I use the coleman table for toaster and coffee maker. The grill stands alone.

I would like a camp kitchen, but haven't found what I like.

doggirl

Mar 8, 2017
We have the Cabela's deluxe kitchen that's few years old now. I just pulled up the cabela site and realize we must have gotten ours on sale for a really good price because I did not spend what they're asking now, I think I spent $99. It's a bit on the heavy side but it's stable, has it's own bag and stores flat in the pup, since space is our biggest issue. I love using the storage bags for transporting food items and tabletop cabinets in the camper. We have never used the hanging vinyl sink, as it looks like more of a hassle than it's worth. It's got plenty of room for prep and a smaller shelf for condiments, a very convenient paper towel holder (seems gone now) and tall hanging hooks for a light, lighter, oven mitts and hot camp stove coffee pot. Standing near the exterior pup stove it makes a nice little kitchen under the awning. I won't kid you, break down takes some time but it's so convenient that I don't want to take it down the night before. The old green color is so much nicer than the brown it comes in now.

We keep an XL Weber smokey joe on it's own stand off by the fire pit. We like that set up too but the smokey takes up a lot of travel space along with a bag of charcoal. And a bit messy on the trip home.

CamperChrissy

Nov 25, 2016
Chicago suburbs
I would say try camping with whatever you already have to see what works. We started with a card table and a small grill on the ground and the inside sink. After just 3 trips, we now use none of that.

We camped last weekend and seem to have it pretty good now. It rained and rained when we were there, so I learned that even though my ideal is to have everything outside it just isn't practical with crappy Chicago weather. We have several separate pieces rather than one large rig:

1. tall table with a built in sink (a fish cleaning table). I sit a clean water tank and a gray water tank under it and rigged up a siphon foot pedal so that we can have clean water even when we don't have a water hookup. Pretty sweet! I found I prefer having no water use inside the PUP because it just leads to spill and drips for me to clean and it's a pain to dry out the sink before we can flip it over to fold down.

2. portable Weber charcoal grill that has it's own fancy Weber table. My husband loves to grill on this set up and I love to eat the things he grills, so works out for all : )

3. small Sterilite drawers to hold most cooking and eating utensils. This stays inside the PUP, right next to the door. I found that keeping it inside keeps it clean and dry so I don't have to mess around cleaning it if we have bad weather or even just morning condensation.

4. food bin (literally a large rubbermaid-type storage bin). This isn't working so great for us. Probably going to buy another stack of drawers to use for food. Will keep it inside the PUP right next to the door.

5. plug-in electric cooler for meats and dairy. Stays inside, again so it doesn't get rained on or dirty. We use our fridge for drinks because I feel it doesn't get quite cold enough for meats. And it's small so it wouldn't hold everything we need anyway.

Good luck!

The Postman

You gotta love Camping!!
Jul 20, 2009
Wishing I was at Waskesieu!!
That is very similar to the one we have, it has been a great asset to meal prep when the weather is not the nicest. It just fits under the awning on the left side of the trailer, and is one of the first things we set up when we arrive at out campsite.

psalmist121

Nov 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Just as Kitphanthom likes these, I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver my Coleman Pack-It table. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YXR766/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I researched tables and decided on this one because of its versatility. Despite what the description says about putting hot items on it, I plan on using it for my portable gas grill. Obviously the material can handle the heat; I think manufacturers add warnings like these to keep from getting into trouble. It would be a good idea to care around children. Other than that, it's made of sturdy lightweight aluminum and has adjustable legs. I plan to use these tables in their lowered position as end tables between camp chairs, end-to-end for a buffet if needed, and locked together for either meals or games.

As far as a sink, my DH made an area for me to do dishes outdoors. What he made for me is similar to this idea... https://www.pinterest.com/pin/12173861466681903/ but without the grill. I use collapsible wash basins that I got at Aldi's, one for wash water and one for rinse. I stack and dry the dishes on a folding dish rack from IKEA. As far as hot water, I boil a pot of water to add to the water from the spigot. Washing dishes outside is more enjoyable than doing it in the camper.