Trying to purchase..

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by MORRAMA, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MORRAMA

MORRAMA New Member

I am excited, i went today and saw the camper and did a full walk through. They stated they could not come off the price but would get me a gift certificate to their parts side for accessories.... We are at our final number at $13,500 all in with A/C. My DH has a Dodge 1500 and it can pull....

What type of accessories would ya'll recommend? It has an outdoor shower thingy and I didn't know you could put TV's in it?? How does that happen?

2. MORRAMA

MORRAMA New Member

Yeah, I decided to tell him.... he is going to look at it tomorrow.

JPBar likes this.
  3. MORRAMA

MORRAMA New Member

TV is an option????

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

You will need one of these if you plan on using the shower. Different brands are out there.

TV is short for Tow Vehicle. His truck may have a factory brake controller installed if its a newer year model. Good luck on the purchase.
    upload_2017-8-2_15-14-44.jpeg

5. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

When we bought our pup we spent some time in the accessories shop and walked away with:

A replacement anode rod for the water heater
    A water pressure regulator for sites with water hookups
    A good quality cover (we stored the camper outside for the first few months we owned it)
    A set of chocks
    A white water hose

Later, we ended up purchasing:

A set of Lynx levelers
    A 30 amp extension cord
    A dog bone adapter so we could plug the camper in to a standard outlet (don't run the air conditioner for very long if you do this) for when we were set up in the driveway admiring our new toy
    An assortment of replacement fuses

If memory serves, that got us functional. The real spending starts once you begin considering "wants" :)

Good luck with your purchase and post pics when you get it home!

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would not buy a Television from the camper dealer. You can buy a cheap 32" or smaller TV for cheap money.

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

good job

8. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

Could you expand on your comment about running the a/c from a standard outlet? Just wondering why that's not good? We may be camping in my sister's driveway a few nights... though it's likely to be cool by then (still waiting for our ALiner... trying really hard to be patient!!!)

9. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Most standard breakers in a home are 15 and 20 amp, running the A/C will trip the breaker. Needs to be a 30 amp breaker for there not to be any problems.

10. MORRAMA

MORRAMA New Member

Well everyone, I pickup my first ever pop-up camper next Tuesday. NO ONE in my family has ever owned one, so I am flying blind. The dealership stated that they would show me how to set it up and put it down, but is there any other questions that I need to ask that might be useful? I did go to the parts shop and buy extra fuses and a leveler. I would appreciate any other questions that I should ask that while I have there full attention. I also U-Tubed setting up a pop-up camper. I am super nervous and excited at the same time...

libtronica likes this.
  11. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Yeah congrats on the purchase. Have them show you how to deploy the awning and how to put it up will save you the hassle of trying to do it blind. This inspection will take over a hour ( should) to show you all the features of your camper. Take your time and ask the person doing the PD inspection as many questions as you feel necessary. Suggest you and the family do some driveway camping to get familiar with it all. I believe that a CD is included in your paper work packet that you can watch, and may take care of any questions you have.

If you are not sure all you have to do is ask here on the Portal and you will get plenty of replies. Have Fun!!

12. MORRAMA

MORRAMA New Member

Thank you so much. I am going to lunch and grab the "manual packet" they have, so that I can better familiarize myself with the popup and prepare for additional questions that I might have prior to the inspection...

13. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

A few pieces of advice that I wish someone had given me....
    1. Bring someone to help. Hand them a phone/video camera and have them video the whole process. Seriously.
    2. Don't have the dealer do the setup/teardown. You do it, and the dealer uses words to tell you what to do. Yes, it's a little slower, but when they say "do this till it feels tight" you will know what "tight" feels like.
    3. Same for hitching up to the Tow Vehicle (TV)
    4. Make sure they show you EVERYTHING, awning, and appliances included. Even the water system (they might not like this part). This has two purposes. You are not like me, trying to figure out how to light the Water Heater at the campsite the first time (That was a comedy of errors). Second, it will prove that everything works /no leaks before you leave the lot. Happens more than you would think.
    5. Plan on MORE time than they state the demonstration might be. It might take 2 or 3 hours this first time with all the stops for questions and explanations.

BelchFire and JPBar like this.
  14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

It takes time and patience to become a "professional" in setting up awning! I can do it flawlessly now in any weather condition. If I can, you can in time.

15. MORRAMA

MORRAMA New Member

These are great ideas!!!!

16. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Congrats on a beautiful new camper! The main advice I would offer when setting up and taking down is double check that the latches are completely undone before attempting to raise the roof (don't ask how I know this......sigh!) and if things seem tight or stuck when sliding the beds back in, stop and be sure nothing is caught. Lots of new adventures ahead!

JPBar likes this.
  17. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

The door! that thing can make you look foolish. Anderson leveler and wheel chocks.

18. MORRAMA

MORRAMA New Member

So I have a friend that is giving me a TV for my new pop up and I am litterally non-tech as they come! I have direct tv at home is there a portalable option for my popup?

19. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

20. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

You'd have to really love watching tv to go through all that!

MORRAMA and JPBar like this.