Trying to understand recreation.gov system

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by Camper054, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

We all know how difficult it is to get good spots in some most coveted NP campgrounds. Trying to plan for next year, I am looking at recreation.gov for couple of days now. Consider booking a campground in Smoky Mountain NP (Somkemont campground). I know that sites are released 6 months ahead on a rolling basis. So, today is Oct 17 - so they released the sites through Apr 17, 2020, which is a Fri. So, I cannot book a site through Apr 19 today right? I have to wait until Oct 19 for the site to be released? Which means if I do not book the site today, and wait until Oct 19, then someone else can book it for Apr 17-18, right? Is that how it works?

Anyway, I found out something interesting as well and see if you have thoughts. If the sites are not released for Apr 18 today (which will be done tomorrow), how can someone reserve a site through Apr 18 before it is released? (Please see the picture - top right shows the date - today, Oct 17, but you can see sites A005 and A006 are reserved through Apr 18!). Is it possible by calling the campground folks? Or, something else - any tips or suggestion would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    MC
    Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 10.26.51 AM.png

2. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

The first date available would be the first night of your trip. The booking window open today and you CAN book 7-14 days in advanced (depending on the campground). So in your example, you can reserve from 4/17 through 4/24 if its a 7 night limit.

Raycfe and Camper054 like this.
  3. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

@Mogimus ,THANK YOU so much! I didn't actually book, but yes, I can start as of today and the system allowed me to add 4/17-4/19 in the cart.

Again, a HUGE thanks and all the best to you!
    MC

4. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

I could not book past the current date 6 months out. Had to wait til the last day of our trip next April then book the 4 nights we wanted.
    May be different at other national parks. (Assateague National Seashore)