TT and HTT Interior/Exterior Coordination

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by niagarafam, Sep 23, 2016.

1. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We have an ongoing curiosity with TT and HTT interiors and exteriors. For some reason, many trailer manufacturers do not coordinate the two. We often find a really cool looking trailer exterior, and then we go inside to find that its interior is drab and dark. Our Jay Feather has a neat exterior design and color scheme that we really like. It is varied hues of blue, gray, white and black against a gray base; the caps are white with large blue jay decals. The exterior colors, shape, and decals are modern and "tough" or sporty looking. The interior, however, is basically brown in several hues and tones. You can order different color schemes, but they are all brown or tan based, and they do not fit the exterior.

We saw this throughout the industry with few exceptions. Most everything is tan to brown or cherry with brown, black, or tan trim and appointments. The two that stood out for interior exterior style matching and creativity were the Winnebago Minnie and Micro Minnie series and the upscale platformed Grand Design Imagine. Both of these models have really attractive interior and creative interior options that coordinate with the exterior. The Winnebagos have amazing color and pattern options both inside and out.

It would be fun, interesting, and attractive to see more manufacturers "zip up" their interiors to match their units' cool exteriors.

2. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

Dirt colored interiors seem to be the norm. They get dirty but don't show it so you can imagine everything is nice and tidy.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The interior of the Retro line is in the same vein as the outside. Our 2015 177 has cherry-look wood, a black and white checkerboard floor, the retro-looking vinyl in the dinette. Some have replaced the counter top with a more "atomic"-looking design, but we haven't bothered. We did add a backsplash, since the beige wall paper is a bit boring - but at least it's light. That was one of my big complaints two years ago, when we were shopping. So much had dark interiors, no matter if they were trying to look modern or just camper-ish. Some of the newer Retros have a birch woo-look wall paper, to go along with the vintage vibe.
    Our Retro is the pewter/red combination. There are blue/white. red/white ones; a dark blue and an aqua or sea-foam are two of the newer colors. On ours the interior vinyl is gray with white trim and the original curtains & bedding were gray/white striped (replaced quickly!). I've seen red too, and maybe another color or two.
    The walls and cabinets do not seem to show the dirt - I was surprised to wash them a while back and see how much fine dust was sticking to it - static is an interesting thing. The b & w floor does display the dirt, though it washes well. I've dropped a few things so we have dents. On many trips, we have throw rugs down (helps in cold weather too), so the grunge on the floor is kept to a minimum.

4. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Yes, the Retro models have cool interiors that fit the exterior design and color themes. We really like them!

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I've been looking at toyhaulers lately, and they seem to have a sporty interior and exterior.

I think TT and HTT interiors are purposely bland and dull to appeal to as wide an audience (or at least not repel as wide an audience) as possible.

6. 61cubby

61cubby New Member

Well, I remember the pup we had when I was growing up. It was a jayco that was an off white/cream color with brown, orange, and avacado stripes outside and the inside was your basic lighter walnut with cream/brown/orange/avacado tweed cushions and mattresses. It was hideous! Then later in life, got a viking in the late nineties. It was white outside with teal striping. Inside was cream/brown/rust/teal tweed with teal counters and curtains. It was hideous! Last year we bought a Rockwood Premier. Tan outside with black/brown and silverish swooshes. Inside is cherry wood, dark counters, wood plank vinyl and what I swear is brownish/sage vinyl reverse to cream seat cushions with the circular pattern back cushions and sage mattresses. It is very dark but by far the most pleasing. Personally, I would like a nice light oak type wood with plank vinyl and a nice foresty pring (since I'm camping). Much like the lodge look and mission oak style. Maybe after a few years we will at least recover everything.

7. sewingcybermom

sewingcybermom New Member

I too, am waiting for the tt industry to go beyond the BROWN. Grand Design and the imagine series has definitely stepped it up a notch. Beautiful layouts, colors and updated sofas, bedding, etc. We love our Rockwood Roo, and we are fortunate to have found one with a light leather couch and dinette with light wood, otherwise it would be a dungeon in there. We are looking to sell our Roo (23ikss) and move up to a TT, but man...the interiors are still sooooooo old.

On the other hand, looking at some class c units, there seems to be a trend toward lighter, brighter interiors...taupes, off whites, light tan...big windows. I wish the designers would do this in the TT world also. The only thing better in the TT's of new is the lack of carpeting....thank goodness!!

8. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Yes, both the Airstream and the Winnebago MH interiors have clean, crisp, modern motifs. We do not rule out such a B or C class down the road. Hope the HTT sells soon!