TT -- is it really an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Ebisaki, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

I have thought about getting a TT or hybrid but I like being able to keep the pop up in my garage. A TT or Hybrid would be really tough to maneuver it to the side of my garage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We cannot replace the PUP on nice day; it was fantastic in good weather a neat site. The TT puts the smackdown on the PUP in bad or quasi weather and ease of loading the interior and camp set up and breakdown. Maintenance is about a draw - Maybe a slight edge to the TT (fewer moving parts and no canvas). For us, the PUP is number for the "camping experience" under good conditions, but the TT is the better for the overall ownership experience. The "upgrade" question is really a relative matter - Different phases and stages provide opportunity for both in our lives.

Orion likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've had the TT for almost two years, and have used it quite a bit. So far, 32 nights this year, with another two camping trips (Labor Day week in the Moab area, and Thanksgiving in southern AZ) and traveling back east to visit family still planned.
    There are still things I miss about ground camping and the pups. However, we're now used to camping in the TT, so it's just the way we camp, rather than what we've been forced into by my back.
    We are finally changing our packing to the TT and truck as TV set-up. We'd basically just kept the same food boxes and packing routine when we bought the TT. The change to the truck as TV this year forced us to look at just what we packed, and where we did so. The trip to northern AZ that resulted in everything in the truck bed being covered with fine dust really pushed changes. We still have a few changes to make, we try a couple of things on each trip.
    On a couple of trips this year, the large zip-open flaps in the bunk ends would have been wonderful. That's balanced by some weather where the TT was much more comfortable.

PUP_RN and nancyanddan like this.
  4. jonshonda

jonshonda Member

We borrowed our in-laws 94 Jayco 1006 for a season, and while we like being off the ground to sleep, that was about it. We wanted a pup based on our TV, but being 6'2 a regular pup just seemed to "underutilized" inside (really low counter tops, tiny fridge, etc).

That is where a our Jayco 12HW pup really fit the bill. Nice high counter tops, big fridge, slide out dinette, stove and oven (haven't used oven yet), microwave, cassette toilet, and outdoor shower. Combined w/ the large storage compartment up front, I don't know that a pup could get much better tbh. It doesn't have A/C, and I am 100% ok with that, one less thing to go wrong.

We honestly are only in the pup for sleeping, and some eating. Otherwise our 5 & 3yo are outside playing, or we are on adventures or walks. Like I tell others, the view when inside is very open (when the weather is good, very dark when all zipped up though), and we really don't need much more. We very much prefer small secluded sights, and a 14ft trailer is much easier to maneuver into a tight site vs. a larger tt.

What I really don't like about it is that the slide out really limits internal storage for things that are not always staying in the pup, and the setup and tear down. We have only had it since this spring, but based on convenience and arguments alone, I can see a strong argument for a TT. The order of operations for a pup is much longer and requires much more organization when certain things have to happen before others, and if they don't it means wasted time/energy. I added a rack on top of the pup for bikes and our thule 8ft cargo box. We fill up the back of our truck with stuff and yellow lab, kids are in the 2nd row w/ food on the floor, cargo rack full w/ 8ft cargo box is full from front to back and 3 bikes cargo basket on back is full of wood, 10gal grey water tank, and kids toys, and burley trailer.

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Mine sure seemed like an upgrade this weekend. We took warm showers in ours and used the bathroom as much as we wanted. Our camping partners didn't want to fool with their cassette toilet or drag their blue boy to the dump mid trip. I slept in an hour later than they did yesterday. When I got up, they were breaking camp and packing this and that strategically.... I tossed a few things in the TT, I unplugged the power, disconnected the hose, and was hitched while they were still picking leaves out of folds in the canvas.

Ductape likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I just did a 4 night solo trip with the TT. Loved it, took my Feist squirrel dog along for company,had everything set up going in less than 20 minutes,
    I took nice warm showers, turned the AC on fan and myself and Ms Dixie (dog) curled up on the foot, we slept cool on the queen size bed.
    Breakdown as less time than that and when I got home I parked it, unloaded the clothes etc. washed, dried and re-packed that and the food for the next trip. No wet canvas to worry about, did not have to set it up to unload ,clean and dry. When I go for the next trip I just back up, hook up and go. Does not get any easier than that. I still use my camping gear when canoe camping but for camping on land the TT is the way to go for us.

7. idler

idler Member

I had good camping luck this summer/fall. I packed up dry every trip except two, and that seems like great luck to me.

Right now, the Quicksilver 6.0 is the best camping solution for me. My dog hated my tent and would break away from me and slip his leash. He only did that at the tent door on our trips. And I had a Kelty 3-person tent with his regular extra large Kuranda bed taking up half the floor. In the pup, I have AC and a light, or I can use the battery for lights and recharging electronics when not connected. I park it in my garage and it tows easily. I've only camped where there are toilets in the campground. Most have had showers.

Downsides are setup makes me drip sweat in summer weather. It is bare bones. 90 degrees and above would necessitate gizmos. Below 60 degrees makes the fabric stiffer, and below 40 makes it hard to snap all the snaps because of the stiffness.

I daydream about a fully optioned-out Alto (http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes_R1723) and its conveniences. When I can afford it, I WILL own it. It will be an upgrade. No if, ands, or buts about it.

8. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

my tent has more space than my pup! but im up off ground & have a hard rain/hail resistant roof.

bob barnes likes this.
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our first pup was tiny and we'd had a lot more useful space in our ground tents - we had to really learn how to cope with necessities in that 6' pup. Second pup was 8', with a second bunk, so we had more space to stash things in camp. However, having to move things around at each set-up and take-down was one of the things that drove us to the TT (& we never took much froo-froo, just necessities, such as clothing and bedding).
    Our TT is still on the small end, at 17' it is about the same length as the 8' pup was when open, but we have more floor and storage space. At this point pup = little to no solo camping, TT = more camping solo and together than with a pup, win for us. (Still would prefer to be towing the pup, and in most weather/campsites, having more screen windows - there are always trade-offs in life.)

10. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

We want a pup for our trips that are less than a day's drive away. We want a TT for our 6 week summer trips and in bear country.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

crackerJack likes this.
  11. Orion

Orion Member

Why is anyone looking at anyone else with any kind of "disdain"? I don't understand the concept. If someone wants to go to a campground and sit inside and play cards and watch tv, well that is their camping. I guess the "hike your own hike" attitude is in my veins now. Looking down, disdain, or any other judgement is just a sign of insecurity to me. If you are the one doing the looking down then you don't value others where they are and if you feel others are looking down on you then you have no self worth inside. Find your inner peace and camp your own camp.

Maybe I should mention that my first pup was a 70's coleman with a homemade tarp for an awning. My parents have a MH. My dad helped me rebuild our current 96 jayco 1406. My jayco hasn't been much out of the tristate area, my parents MH has been to california and back to KY, then to Gulf in lower AL... all over really. It is just different and no one I camp with cares what I sleep in as long as I am comfortable and dry. Anyone else, well it is their own issues to deal with. I don't care about others opinions of me.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  12. mikem12188

mikem12188 Member

For me, it's all about the experience. No matter what I'm camping in (and I bought a NTM pop up last year), something will always happen. And when I tell the story, it'll be about the experience, and not about "when I was camping in my pop up..."

13. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

You nailed the disability part. Some of us just can't set the pup up anymore. With a bad neck and lower back, I am looking for a TT. Love our pup, but physically it is becoming too much of a risk. I have had one surgery and don't want another. So, for some of us, it is really the best option. One more note, even when we get the TT, we will still spend most of our time outside. We love campfires and cooking over them.

nancyanddan likes this.
  14. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I own both and feel that PUPs and TTs have their place. We travel extensivley in our trailer, 7000-8000 mile trips often stoping over at Wallmarts on long travel days - no way we could do that in a PUP. But for straight up camping in one spot during good weather, nothing beats a PUP. Everyone in our family feels that way.

People that look down upon PUPs are lost in the world of keeping up with the Joneses and should be at home filling out credit card applications so they can buy another TV.

15. Ocdpa

Ocdpa New Member

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to add :). We own both a 30' TT and an 8' pop up. We owned an 8' popup years ago and I loved it but we sold it and went back to tent camping so we could pull our boat. When it was time to get another camper I was outvoted by my husband and daughter who wanted a travel trailer while I wanted another pop up. Ironically they wanted it for the shower and I'm the only one who showers in it! Fast forward 3 years and I'm itching to get a pop up for me and my daughter to camp. I'm not comfortable pulling the travel trailer. So we get an amazing deal on a pop up and I remodel it. Now it seems everyone loves it more than the TT! My daughter and husband have planned trips with it. When we think about going cross country we actually think it would be a better option. We don't stop and use the potty or eat in the hot TT when traveling. The pop up pulls like a dream and we can share driving. Honestly the setup is pretty similar in terms of time. It's a small popup so by myself I can be up or down in 20 minutes. The TT takes just as long if not longer due to the emptying of the tanks. So I do think it's just a preference. I prefer the pop up and always will. I would however like a larger model. The 8' boxes are small. Maybe I can convince the family to sell both and invest in a bigger pop up ;)

Orchid likes this.
  16. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Interesting thread...I wouldn't call it upgrading. I think you camp the way you like and/or can afford and/or is convenient.
    We just sold our pop up and bought a 18' hybrid with 3 bunks.
    We don't have the space to store anything bigger (the pup was really easy to store).
    We like the convenience of keeping everything stored and packed in the Hybrid without having to raise/lower the roof.
    Set up and take down time with the hybrid is reduced because of not having to take everything out of the pup to set up and then carefully packing everything away after taking down.
    It is nice to have a bigger refrigerator in the Hybrid, along with a shower and toilet amenities.
    The canvas bunks also allow us to feel like we are sleeping outdoors.
    However, the Hybrid is more $$ and harder to tow and more difficult to keep the snow off in the winter, and there are more mechanicals and plumbing to maintain.

If I could afford a really nice driveable RV (which means I could afford a really big house with a really big garage to store it), then I would probably own one. But I cannot. It doesn't mean I would camp any differently, because we spend most of our time outdoors anyways when camping. However, the driveable RV would be easier to take long trips in and we would explore more of this wonderful country. But this doesn't mean that I "look up" to people who own them. Nor do I "look down" on people who camp with pups or in tents.

Orchid and Takamine like this.
  17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

It certainly in NOT an upgrade for us... We love our somewhat small foot print OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer.. With my front deck and the bed and back seat of my truck we can carry along some serious camping supplies and items...

It will go anywhere my 4WD truck will take it... One spot up on GWNF a couple of hundred miles from here has one creek bed rock crossing usually with water flowing... Don't even bat an eye to cross that with my setup haha...

I actually tried hard a couple of time to go alittle bit bigger and really like the JAYCO X213 setup in 2009... Almost did it but still pulling my 2008 Starcraft 14 R/T trailer. Just about covered the South East from Oklahoma/Texas to the East Coast... Looks like Lousianna is the only State i haven't camped in yet with my setup... Sure have crossed it a many of times on that very long I10 section with no exits haha...

So I agree its not an upgrade just a different style of camping involved...
    I also love the gas mileage my truck gets pulling this low wind resistance trailer. I get the same gas mileage whether I am pulling the trailer or not... Can make it from Northern Neck VA to Gatlinburg TN on one tank of gas if I elect to do so...

When we meet up with our Family in Myrtle Beach every year a couple of them have large 5th wheels coming down from Illinois. They are beat to a pulp when they arrive. Not us haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

bob barnes likes this.
  18. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

We moved over from our larger PUP (12' box with slide-out) to a larger hybrid (23' 3 bunks and a slide). We do enjoy the easier setup and breakdown. Being able to pre-pack the camper with food and clothes is a very large plus for us. Camping with our PUP, everything was in and out of the bed of the truck. While our pup had a potty and shower combo, I must say that the permanent setup of the bathroom is also great. Larger fridge, electric awning and an extra bunk is very nice to have, the daughters each have their own space. But the ability to open'er up like a pop-up is also great. A bit more to tow than the pup, my truck only gets 13 mpg on a good day empty, she gets about 9 towing through the mountains, so I can't complain there. I must say that I loved our PUP. If it were up to me, we probably would still have it, but the family wanted something a bit larger and we still get to sleep under canvas. We have had the hybrid for about 4 years now and to this day I am still picking out popups on the highway and saying to the Mrs. "PUP"!

Orchid likes this.
  19. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

What I like is being able to get to places others can't dream of. My Baja has more ground clearance than my truck, so like roybraddy says....if my truck can make it, so can the Pup. Has just the right amount of amenities and can carry my dirtbikes, too. My buddy rented a MH for a 30-day family vacation several years ago. He said the absolute best part of that trip was his little girls making lunch with their mama and "delivering sammiches and a coke" to dad while driving down the road. I can picture that and it sounds pretty sweet. Such a nice memory of his kids!

However, he said his fuel costs far exceeded the rental price and grocery bill combined. I don't have to worry about money much these days, but gotta say that I still tend to be a little more on the frugal side whenever possible. Fuel costs like that just seem wasteful. I don't care what I take into the mountains in order to go camping. As long as I can get there, sleep comfortably (my number-1 concern), and make memories with my kids.........that is just about all that matters. I sometimes camp alone and still have a good time, but its not the same.

I would have to say my ultimate camping rig would be a lifted 4wd diesel conversion van. In college, I went on an overnight trip with one of my professors into the field to study amphibians and reptiles in desert/aquatic environments. My classmates and I all stayed in tents, but the prof had this customized rig that had it all, and I mean ALL! 20mpg on the highway, room for his equipment and studies, ability to travel to remote destinations, cook, sleep, hot shower. Seriously jealous, but about $100k at the time (late 90's).

20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Two words: Gas prices