TT -- is it really an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Ebisaki, Jun 19, 2012.

1. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You clearly don't care how much gasoline you burn when you carry around heavy junk like that....i know I don't.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

All part of the campering experience... If I was concerned I'd park it and be a seasonal glamper ..

3. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Someone's callin lord..........Kumbya

Ductape likes this.
  4. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Guys the lady has a right to her opinion gas expenses mean a lot to me, camping expenses mean a lot to me although I can afford whatever I want I am just frugal drives my son crazy. Wouldn't it best to just drop things as they are nothing to be gained is there? I don't understand these spats sometimes but they do happen I have an A-Liner I know it is not spelled A-Liner but I like it so I use it. Somehow some clown around here took much exception to that and started following me around making corrections to my posts sort of clowning at my expense. Finally I blew up with one of his comments he stopped following me around and I don't see him doing much posting. Frankly neither one of us gained a thing! I will say we took the A-Liner on a long trip this spring all through Texas, Ok, Ks and New Mexico we didn't stop at one campground every night at Walmart our total outlay was 600 bux. All we needed was a place to stop, rest and eat!

We are leaving very shortly for a 2 mo trip to Alaska and plan to do the very same thing. I look to spend around 1200 bux this time and have a ball. It is very interesting we have to keep the A-Liner in very good shape because we have had as many as 5 people an evening want to look at our rig. Many drive by gawking not having the courage to stop.

Saying that I am quite sure many will find objection with our plan no problem if you want to post with an objection there are ways to object with some class!!

5. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

I'm coming from a different angle - Went from a pop-up (sold a few years ago), and just got a travel trailer, but it's actually smaller than the pop-up was. It has more luxuries in it than the pop-up did, like a water heater, gray water tank, toilet (no shower), microwave, TV, sound bar, and solar panel mounted on the roof (I know a lot of these you can get with a pop-up, but ours didn't have them). But it only sleeps 2 people, and the only bed is where the dining table goes (of course, removes to make into a bed). Weight-wise, though, it's actually less than the pop-up we had before. That was around 2750 lbs (slept 7 and had a slide out dining area), and this one is 1500 lbs.

So is it really an upgrade? It's smaller, sleeps less, and carries less. So in that regard, not really. But set up is leveling, parking, lower jacks, hook up water/electric, and done. No roof to raise, no beds to pull out, and no slide out to deal with. So in that way, I like to think it is.

Bottom line, to me, an upgrade or not is all in the eye of the beholder. I'm happy with what I have, and that's the thing that really matters. If you'r happy with a pop-up, with an A-frame, with a hybrid, or with a huge 5th wheeler, then it's right for you.

6. jwmark

jwmark New Member

My back also got to the point where I could no longer sleep on the ground, even with the air mattress, so that is why we went to a pup. I think they are a good compromise, you still get the atmosphere with the canvas, but they are much more comfortable to sleep in. We have a HW, with a slide-out, it has upgraded mattresses, and it does have a full bathroom, so has everything we need. I do see the possibility of a TT...at some point in the future... as I will probably eventually tire of the set-up process of the pup, or get to the point of being no longer able to do it. I agree, I do not see it as an upgrade...just a different style of camping. I do hope that we never get to the point of staying inside the whole time...what is point of going if you don't enjoy nature?

bob barnes likes this.
  7. jwmark

jwmark New Member

I also like the teardrops, but like you, will have to wait until it is just the two of us. I also like the A-Line campers. My personal preference is that I do not want to pull a large trailer, but who knows what the future will bring...

8. Calicajun

Calicajun Member

Isn't the main goal to get out and camp, no matter what your camp style? We just sold our 2500 Ram 4x4 and 31.6' Travel trailer and plan to get a Pop Up soon to go with the 2017 Honda Ridgeline AWD truck we now drive.
    Things changed with family so we downsize our camping. No more real long trips, just 3-5 day trips for the next couple of years. Then who knows what we will be doing for camping.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Exactly, and figuring out the type of equipment needed to camp the way you like is an on-going thing (at least for us). Our 17' Retro is about the same length as the 8' Coleman Cobalt was opened, though is a tad wider, and has more floor. (Bunk ends versus all cabin.) We saw quite a few teardrops of various sizes and configurations on our last trip. Those would not work for us, for a number of reasons, but for some people they'd be perfect. (We had more space in our base camp tents than in most of the tear drops, and we could stand up inside too.) Same with tents, popups, TT, and RVs.

Calicajun likes this.
  10. lynnbanducci

lynnbanducci New Member

We traded in our sweet little Coleman popup about 8 years ago... after 20 years and so many miles and memories....the kids were all grown up and it was time for a little more comfort and room for us oldies. We ended up with a Trail-manor pop up and we couldn't be happier. Although I find myself still missing that little Coleman. We travel down to Padre Island every Winter for a couple of months and the Trail-Manor couldn't be more comfortable and it has everything we need. Everyone has their own needs and wants...I say as long as your out and about enjoying yourself.... Rock on my friends!!! Happy camping to ya'all.

PointyCamper likes this.
  11. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

its a classic argument, the pup vs. tt, and I have gone from pup to tt back to pup and now a little teardrop tt. ill give you what I think "upgrade" means, to some anyway.

when you are young, you are more idealistic, stronger, etc. the pup takes a lot of work to set up, is more of a hassle, but has a great payoff for those able to push the poles in the canvas, crank. get that damn bag awning down. pop up again if it rains on popdown, etc..................

our winnebago teardrop is like a popup, but electric awning, no canvas to worry about...all the camping. less work.

still tows easy. our kids learned about as much as they ever were going to doing all that work. they started hating camping because of it.

so long story short, "upgrade" means less work. pull in. CAMP. toss chairs in. Go home. have a life. the pup was a pain in the butt. if I could magically set up either? Id rather camp in the pup, I suppose. more of a natural experience, but im not magic. the TT is better for US - as we are older. graduated,I suppose. did at least 500 nights in a pup. done.

lol. thanks for the great conversation, nrg.....

Ductape likes this.
  12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

How about this - backpack on wheels.

13. penny

penny Well-Known Member

right now we have 3 (!!) campers. we won't keep three, but I am in a funny position because we are going camping, and can't decide which one to take. thinking about it, I have to say each has strong points and types of use that would make it the best choice.
    I guess if I had to pick the one that was the most versatile, it would be the little TT we just bought. simplicity and ease of travel it would be the pop up. road trips, the rialta.
    of course the untried one is the TT, since we have no real experience in it yet.

14. aardvark

aardvark Member

This may be a sideways look at this subject, but as I write this, the fancy Inn across the street is having a treehouse built. It will be their most expensive room, and you'll have to climb a ladder to get into it. (You can watch this being built in the Treehouse Masters TV show - the last episode of the season this October). Must be some reason that people would rather stay in a treehouse than in a comfortable Inn.

A friend, a traveling nurse, works 3 months on and then takes 3 months off. He lives in a 30-foot travel trailer. He parks it for three months at a time and when he camps, he sleeps in a hammock or a tent, rather than move his travel trailer. His trailer is too big of a pain to drive. (My mother said that having a Winnebago as a 2nd car was a real pain when we were kids - she didn't like taking it to the grocery store). Travel Trailers of any size can turn you into a truck driver, and make stopping or backing it up a major occasion.Anything longer than about a 13-foot travel trailer (and those are small, with their 10-foot boxes) would send me to tractor-trailer driving school.

Of course, the big advantage of travel trailers or motor homes (and we had all when i grew up) is that you can pull over and stop for the night without unhooking and unpacking. They are also better for winter use, although I guess I'm one of the few who would go into true winter weather with one (if I could drive one in the snow).

Regarding quiet, I already have something called a house that has solid walls, and even though I live in a place where birds cheep and foxes screech, I can't hear them when I'm inside my house like I can in my popup.

There are pluses and minuses of both. With unlimited funds, I'd have a popup plus a Class B motorhome for the convenience of being able to travel without unpacking.

And regarding lousy PUP beds: I had a custom mattress made by a local mattress store that doesn't hurt my back. That's way cheaper for me than spending an extra $10K or $30K on a travel trailer, and an extra $30,000 on a new vehicle. I can tow my 1500 lb. PUP with my Toyota Forester, which I already own.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  15. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

There’s an old saying that applies to every sport or hobby;

“To each his own”

Never more relevant than when applied to camping. I think the reason why people say “upgrade” is because the industry is aimed generationally. Truth is, for as long as there’s been options the tent was considered the “starter” and as people age and families grow there’s a camper to meet every need. Some folks never move a rung on the ladder and that’s great for them. Others like to see it as “moving up” a rung and that’s also great for them as well.

CivilizedOne likes this.
  16. firenwater

firenwater New Member

I am laughing as I read this thread. My hubby and I started with a pop up. It was fantastic for our weekend trips until we wanted to explore places further from home and to have less issue with weather and setting up in the dark. With much thought, we went with a well 21 foot TT. We enjoyed that for 2 years but we had to take turns to walk down the center. Again an agreement was reached and we purchased a new 32 foot fifth. I call it my apartment on wheels. In a few years, we will consider full timing it. We both missed our modest pop-up so we purchased another for use in the state campgrounds. I loved every minute in each of our camping homes. If it has what you desire, it is perfect for you. Initially I was embarrassed to admit we have 2 campers but I realized plenty of people have motorcycles, four wheelers, snow mobiles, etc. so now I just am happy to have choices. I consider the progression to be part of the learning how to manage both small and large rigs.

17. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

It is very human nature to justify our decisions , i live in mass and have 2 motorycles. alot of people including my family think i am crazy. they cannot see when i go on day rides and tours i need a bigger heavier 700lb bike and when i goto the track i need a smaller lighter low powered bike at 300lbs. 2 saperate bikes. i have taken the 700 lb pig on the track and was exhausted and done day rides on my 300 lb track bike and felt i was hit by a truck . completely different application. This whole upgrade thread is wrong as they both are for different application.

18. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I've got three different bicycles. Each one is worth more than my popup, and they each suit a different purpose and provide a different experience. I absolutely don't see anything wrong with owning multiple types of trailers/RV's.

kitphantom likes this.
  19. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

If we can’t have more than one of things then Houston, I have a problem. Ask a guitar player how many guitars he has or a Fisherman how many fishing poles. Pfft, I see Jt as my civic duty to drive the local economy. I’ve already told the kids; “if I die and leave you an Estate of any value, then I’ll have no choice but to come back and haunt you”. Nobody wants a Ghost with OCD hanging around.

20. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I guess it depends on how you use your pup and TT. Our pup was used as a hotel/motel replacement. Basically setup someplace for a few days and see the local area. Added benefits were being further away from the cities we were visiting and the nightly campfire. Never gave much thought to the whole canvas scent. Now with the TT we use it in the same fashion. It is our home away from home. We set up at a location for a few days to see the sights and move on from there. It's much easier on she who must be obeyed and I for setup and we don;t have to unpack everything to find that one pot or pan and then put it all back again to even start to make dinner. Our TT is not a mansion on wheels since we no longer have kids at home. It is a bed, bath, kitchen and dinning facility all in less than 22 feet. Because of its size and features (only sleeps 2 unless the sofa is folded down) we call it our honeymoon suite.