Tuckahoe SP

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by jenventola, Nov 15, 2016.

1. jenventola

jenventola New Member

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/eastern/tuckahoe.aspx

Site Details: We stayed in the Electric Loop, site #14. Site was heavily wooded and very private; we were surrounded by woods on three sides, and could only see our neighbors across the narrow loop road. Site included a picnic table, fire ring, grill grate and lantern post. Pad was nice and level; didn’t need to use any blocks. Drive way was just long enough to accommodate our truck. Site was a little farther from the bath house than we usually prefer, but didn’t really matter as we were camping sans kids this time. I loved the privacy of this site, so I didn’t mind the little bit of extra walking. Almost all the sites looked relatively private, with a fair amount of trees in between, but our was on of the only sites that was truly surrounded by forest. Since we were here in November, the leaves were especially beautiful.

Facilities/Overall Park: Bath house was large, heated and extremely clean; looks recently renovated. There was also a nice large dishwashing station on the Men's side, which I love. The park itself is very quiet, pretty, and easy to get around. Lots of multi-use trails, which i believe are mostly flat, so maybe not the best for die-hard hiking enthusiasts. We took the Lake Trail down to the day-use area, and it was a very pleasant, scenic hike that took less than 20 minutes. The lake/day-use area is beautiful, with a pavilion, picnic tables, boat launch area, volleyball and large recycled-tire playground for kids. There were quite a few people out and about, more than I would have expected during November. The lake is popular for fishing, kayaking and canoeing (no swimming allowed). During the on-season, canoes and kayaks are available for rent to explore the lake and water trails in the adjacent Tuckahoe Creek. Would love to come back in the summer to check them out. There is also a disc golf course, challenge course, and archery range on-site.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: This is a very rural area. Not much to do in the immediate vicinity, except for the Adkins Arboretum. It’s located on park property, but operated by an independent non-profit. The trees and walkways are beautiful, and they host a lot of workshops and special events throughout the year. Closest small town is Denton, which has a few restaurants and shops. St. Michael’s, which is definitely a major Eastern Shore tourist spot, is about 45 minutes away.

Overall, we really enjoyed this park. It has all the major elements we typically look for: privacy, lots of trees, electric hookups, clean bath house, large playground, and a place to fish. The fact that it’s only about an hour’s drive from us is a bonus. We can’t wait to come back in warmer weather with the kids!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Thanks for the write up on that state park. I might add that to my next place to camp. I'm always looking for another place to mix my loving of kayaking with my love of camping. :) The more I was reading your description of the park, it sounded familiar from a place a stayed at last year. Last year, I camped at Martinak State Park which is a short distance away from Tuckahoe and from your description, sounds like they are very similar parks too. Although Martinak is a much smaller park from the looks of it. Since I camped with my kayak group, we spent the most time on the water trails vrs the hiking trails, but still very enjoyable. From the few hiking trails I did go on, they were very flat and easy too.

3. jenventola

jenventola New Member

Yes, Tuckahoe and Martinak are kind of "sister" parks, and have many combined events throughout the year. I have visited Martinak while scouting for family reunion locations, but liked Tuckahoe much better. I felt Tuckahoe was cleaner and prettier, with more on-site activities. The waterfront amphitheater at Martinak was really nice, but their picnic shelter was very dirty and in need of some major TLC (not that that would matter for most campers).

4. SiAm Traveler

SiAm Traveler Member

Thanks for the review we have a son and his family that lives in that area and we have wanted to stop and check out the parks but haven't due to time when we visit. Will be checking Tuckahoe out this year.

5. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Thanks for the report. Glad you enjoyed it.

Tuckahoe was a first trip of the year a few years ago and Martinak was a first trip the following year. When we went to Tuckahoe, we brought a canoe. It was cool for the kids, as well as dw and me, because we saw scores of turtles and terrapins in the pond. It was great going upstream and we saw a number of beaver lodges as we went. Distance wise we ran out of water, before we ran out of desire for adventure. I had guides that said you could go downstream, but it was all overgrown. We hit some pleasant hiking trails as well.

Martinak, paled by comparison, except for the paddling. The sites were more open, the only trail there was short, but the paddling was great! You have your choice of Watts Creek, which is more protected, and has plenty of wildlife, or the Choptank River if you are wanting to really clock the miles.

I look forward to returning to them both.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I grew up camping at Tuckahoe and Martinak.

Back in the day, they did not have hook-ups, but lots of great memories there.

I haven't been to Tuckahoe since I was a kid, but took my own kids to Martinak often. We were tent campers and didn't care about no utilities at the time. I love more wooded sites now, but then opted for the more open Martinak so I could watch my four kids as they biked around the loop. It was easier to keep an eye on them.