Turn bunk into crib?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by MaeKay, Mar 23, 2021.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

342A25A3-6581-4C46-8971-FC9CE3789D83.jpeg How would you turn these two bottom bunks into beds for young toddlers? Our twins are 9 months old and will probably stay in the pack n plays until they start sleeping through the night so they don’t wake the big kids up.

We tend to keep our kids in cribs until 2-3 years old. If we just put a bed rail I’m not sure the babies would stay in safely.

We don’t own this trailer yet but are hoping to go look at it this weekend.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Tbh, i would just rip a peice of plywood in half. One peice for each side. Screw it to the cabinite in the back and thefront t cabinite. Done. Made your own crib. I would watch the blinds also, i dont see how there attached. So, i would take them down for now and use plastic dip or something on the outside of the window. Done. What else you need? [:D]

MaeKay likes this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Bed rails with cushions and pillow on the floor in case the rails fail.

MaeKay likes this.
  4. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I would consider a thrift store crib purchase. Use those panels to secure your own baby gate across the area.

My wife watches these folks on Youtube they kinda did the same thing for their kids with their bunks:
    And they rebuild the bunk idea / discuss it again when each time they switch RVs as well. Good Luck!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    MaeKay and Rusty2192 like this.
  5. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

That
    That’s an idea... people are always giving away cribs here for free that aren’t in the best shape or doesn’t have hardware.

6. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Saw this on the classifieds for another trailer. I’m sure it was meant for a dog but some days...

Should have mentioned sleeping is our family’s biggest challenge. And if my kids CAN crawl out, they will. So it’s not so much I don’t want them to fall out...I don’t want them to willfully climb out and wreak havoc while we’re asleep and then be super cranky because they didn’t sleep.

Attached Files:

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, a baby jail, yea no one will ever know......

J Starsky and MaeKay like this.
  8. Enz0

Enz0 Member

One more DIY option, you could use spring tension rods. Put them in a vertical position between the bottom and top bunk; think bars on a jail window. No tools or DIY skills needed. Just space them as you deem needed, probably 2 to 3in apart. Just leave the front 3 off so you can tuck the tiny tots in and then put the last few in place.

MaeKay likes this.