Turn Signals Question

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by AJDRAGON, Oct 11, 2021.

1. AJDRAGON

AJDRAGON New Member

Hi

I don't like how the break lights cancel out the turn signal when there on, and I want to put separate turn signals on my camper. My question is this, does it matter whether the turn signals go above or below the stop lights? I would prefer putting them above for easier installation.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter. Rather than add another fixture you could get a fixture for a duel element bulb.

3. AJDRAGON

AJDRAGON New Member

Hi

Thank you, It has a duel element bulb, i just don't like how the turn signals get turned off when the brake lights come on.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  4. tombiasi

That shouldn't happen. The turn signals are one element and the brakes are another. They can both function at the same time.

5. AJDRAGON

AJDRAGON New Member

Hi

That's what I thought, but one element is for the running lights and the other element is for the brakes and turn signals.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That's standard on most trailers and a lot of pickup trucks.. its a system that has worked for nearly 80 years..

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

The turn signal actually overrides the brake light. Stand behind the trailer while someone operates one signal and presses on the brakes. You'll see that the side where the t/s is activated will flash, while the other side stays on steady. If it doesn't work that way, you've got issues.

neighbormike, Snow and Raycfe like this.
  8. tombiasi

He didn't ask if they were all wired that way he wanted to fix it. Wire them separately and it will do what he wants.

9. TSQ

TSQ Active Member

This is more complicated then simply adding a few lights. There is no +12V brake light signal on your trailer. It is multiplexed into the turn signal wires on the vehicle itself (as everyone else has basically pointed out).

You will need to use another "pin" on your connector to send a +12V brake light signal:
    - If you have a flat four (no brakes) you could use a flat five (additional pin normally used for reverse lights)
    - If you have a flat five and surge brakes you could use a Bargman 7 (see next)
    - If you have a Bargman 7 and surge brakes you could use the trailer brake pin (normally driven by the electric brake controller)
    - If you have a Bargman 7 and electric brakes you could use the center pin (normally used for reverse lights)

If you do this it will result in non-standard wiring on both the vehicle and trailer side. Be aware of the consequences if you tow a different trailer or if someone else tows your trailer.

Depending on your vehicle, finding the +12V brake light signal to tap into may be really easy or really hard.

Ultimately I would recommend leaving it as is. All North American trailers are wired with combined turn and brake light signals (except for HD 7 connectors used on tractor trailers, which do have an independent brake light signal).

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You would need a set of stop lights, a separate wire from the new lights> to the trailer connector>to the tow vehicle and then tap into the tow vehicles third brake light.

11. AJDRAGON

AJDRAGON New Member

Hi

I do have a 7 pin plug I will be installing, I also have the remains of a tow wiring kit that went bad that I will be using for running the wires down to the 7 pin plug on my van. So I shouldn't have any problems with finding the brake light wire.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

It can be done, but it really isn't worth the effort. You are going to have to rewire where your pigtail turn signal terminals are connected and add a wire for the brake lights. The center terminal of a 7-blade may be repurposed for the brake lights, but even then some trailers and vehicles use that terminal. My TV uses that terminal for reverse lights. This will make the lights not function properly in the event you need to get a friend to tow it home. Unless you plan to have two pigtails you will not be able to tow other trailers. At the end of the day deviating from from accepted standard on anything usually isn't wise, with all things electrical that goes double. If your TV and trailer are wired correctly both brake lights should be on when pressing the brake until a signal is turned on. Then the side the signal is on should blink and the other side should continue to burn steady. If it does not work like that something isn't correct. A faulty ground will cause many lighting issues.

13. AJDRAGON

AJDRAGON New Member

Hi

I have the rear end all wired up and working great. If I ever sell the trailer I'll jest change it back. I also had to replace all of the old wires due to black wire rot.

14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You really wouldn't have to change it back. The original lights would still function as they use to.