Turquoise Lake, CO. Baby Doe Campground

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by Mountdream, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Mountdream

Mountdream New Member

This was our first time visiting Baby Doe Campground. We were told that the campground did not open on time this year due to snow. Baby Doe was dry, thank goodness, and very wooded. The campsites are all well spaced out, but not all of them looked to be level. The campsites that were nearest to the lakeshore had bowed “driveways” (where you would park your camper) and we were grateful that we didn’t stay at those sites. We had Ruby-crowned Kinglets all around the campsite. I was also awoken to the sound of Hermit Thrushes—one of my favorite bird calls.

We also caught a TON of rainbow trout at the lake :)

Please check out our glamping-adventure blog for the rest of our info about this trip. We have a lot of pictures and suggestions for other places to visit around Twin Lakes.

Click on the link below, and enjoy! [:D]

Turquoise Lake, Baby Doe Campground

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've always defaulted to White Star when camping in the general area, so good to see some info on other campgrounds.
    I keep seeing references to late snow in the high country this year, so something to keep in mind for camping in some years.

3. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl New Member

We camped Turquoise Lake this year and stayed in the Molly Brown CG.

We loved the campground and thought it was exceptionally pleasant. Nice clean toilets and everyone was well behaved the "quiet hours" were respected. Sites have trees / shade and the lake was wonderful, indeed.

Lovely area, we will definitely go again.

4. sl1ck

sl1ck New Member

What is the dump station situation? Your (awesome) blog says that there is a dump station, how far is it?

I just bought a 25G Barker 4 wheel tote, would I be able to tow that to the dump station from any of the Turqoise Lake Campgrounds?

Thanks!

5. Mountdream

Mountdream New Member

Sl1ck, sorry for not replying sooner.

If I remember correctly, the dump station and water station are not close by. Click on this link: http://tinyurl.com/zg6exx7

Find the Printer Boy Campground icon on the map. You will see a small loop near the icon-- I think this is the dump and water station.

Hope this helps.

6. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

We camped at May Queen at the end of the lake. Level sites, not private, but the view!!!

7. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

We just returned from 4 wonderful nights at Silver Dollar campground. The campground was very well managed by Rocky Mountain Recreation Company. (They currently manage all of the campgrounds at Turquoise and Twin Lakes area.) The camp spots had reservations signs that showed the next two reservations and the restrooms were the cleanest we had ever seen.

We took part of a day to explore all of the campgrounds around Turquoise Lake and found that Silver Dollar and Molly Brown campgrounds had the most private campsites while Baby Doe, Father Dyer and Mayqueen had very little privacy. There was also the option of RV camping at Matchless and Tabor with some of the spots having tables and fire pits just off the paved parking area.

Silver Dollar CG is the furthest campground from the lake with no campsites near the water, but we had no problem finding good fishing spots within a short drive. We went to mostly relax and do a little fishing, so Silver Dollar was the perfect campground for us.