Turtles!

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Sjm9911, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Since worker bee wanted it, its here! The turtle thread. Post all your turtle musings and pictures. Since i was at moms today , i got a few action and non action shots. We have all sorts of turtles, big and small, young and old!
    Eastern box turtle. This one is older then me. Mom had them 20210922_182710.jpg 20210922_182728.jpg 20210922_182742.jpg before i was born. They are now housed hear. Notice the encloser. This is to keep away predators. A racoon can run on its hind legs carrying a box turrtle away. Thay also eat there extremities. So we have a couple of 3 legged box turttles. Now we have a gatted encloser.

Rik Peery likes this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Nice enclosure. I don't have any turtles, but my good friend has several. One is a rescue turtle her daughter gave her several years ago for Mother's Day; most of the others found their way there though people who knew she had turtles, and a good environment for them. The surprise earlier this year, at Easter time, was seeing two tiny babies creeping out of a hole. So they are safe inside the house, since they would be prime fodder for roadrunners (she has a few that come to be fed), hawks, coyotes, foxes, and whatever else uses the arroyo they back up to. (They had a bobcat spend the day in a tree once, we know bear and mountains lions occasionally make it into the city. Sometime this summer, she saw a larger, though still small, turtle hot-footing it down the sidewalk, away from the back yard - so "Surprise" went inside, in its own container. Last month, one in between the two sizes emerged from a pile of vegetation. She is going to contact the turtle expert to determine what she needs to do for the winter. Then, she may find a home with for them next year - her brother lives around the corner and is a likely candidate.

Dano 445 and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Here I was expecting the Ninja Turtles...

tfischer and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

If its a box turtle, they go in a box for the winter, they hibernate. I kid a little. We used to bury them for the winter , in a lot of sand, under the frost line, some would dig themselves in. They would dig out at spring thaw. But sometimes, they didnt , or came up too soon and froze. So now we take them inside. They get wattered once a week, and fed, but they dont really eat during this time. They aren't active eaither, even with being inside in the heat.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

My friend ended up keeping one inside one winter, when the dog - who usually left them alone, dug one up. Most are box turtles, I don't remember what the other one or two are.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Rik Peery, J Starsky and tfischer like this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Not a turtle story but a tortoise. Mom's neighbor many years ago owned a tortoise and one day it somehow opened the gate or perhaps the gate didn't get locked all the way, anyway it went missing and she rallied all the neighbors trying to track it down. Apparently it weighed close to 35 pounds or something so it's not a small thing. They eventually found it heading down a hill towards a river in the back. Mom helped look for it and said it was about the size of her 20 pound dog. Her neighbor moved away, I would have loved to see it other than hear the stories. Which by the way spread through the neighborhood like highschool gossip.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

My how you have grown! [:D]

BikeNFish likes this.
  9. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

[​IMG]

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

CF5F1F8C-EAF0-46A8-851B-F7F85C7BECDA.jpeg
    All I got!

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

12. Sjm9911

Gamara?

13. Sjm9911

Ok so i said turtles, and i only posted one. I will say my mom also lives on a lake that feeds into the nearby ocean. Similer to where the jaws story came from. Yes, that was basied on a true story. A great white came into the inlet that feed into the ocean and attacked some people. The waterways back then were deaper and less traveled. But enough, you came dor the turtles, i will not disappoint! Sliders, mom feeds then every night. Yea, they say bread is bad for them, but dont tell them that. At least its fortified bread, and its not a lot. She feeds them other stuff also. Depends whats on hand. Plus , they like it and atually come to her when she claps. Crazy , but true. 20210922_183111.jpg 20210922_183322.jpg

14. Sjm9911

Part 3 tommorow. Lol.

15. Sjm9911

Ok part 3 . We discussed how the turtles come when my mom calls them. And its not a joke. They pop there heads above the water and come swimming. At least the small ones. The big ones also come. But they are slower. Notice the bread dangling, my moms holding it. Yes , the snapper can take her finger off with a bite. But the big ones come also. Everyone wants moms cooking! 20210922_183500.jpg 20210922_183503.jpg 20210922_183550.jpg

Rik Peery and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  16. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I forgot I had these pics -

DSC02270.JPG

DSC02269.JPG DSC02268.JPG

Rik Peery, Kyle R Thorson and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

This guy showed up at a family reunion in 2012. I can see the resemblance in a couple of the wife's family members.

TOSH0016.JPG

Rik Peery, Kyle R Thorson and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson Active Member

7A055AAF-72FC-4875-909A-77BC0E7A6E14.jpeg 817E0705-D4C3-4D55-96E5-13CAA3B492F1.jpeg This is Mr. Whitney a desert tortoise. I know this is a turtle thread but maybe he will be welcome here. He is an adventurous type. He sees obstacles as a challenge to climb them. He is about 50 years old as far as we know. He was passed on to us by a family member.

19. KeepsakePaps

KeepsakePaps Member

My turtle story: Driving along one day, I saw, as many of us have, a turtle trying to cross the road. I pulled over, jumped out of my car, but could not move him because of an oncoming car. I motioned for the car to move over, pointing at the turtle. I think the driver only thought my car was disabled, but he/she moved over at the last minute. Unfortunately, his tire hit the very edge of the turtle’s shell, and the turtle shot into my chest like a hockey puck! It knocked my wind out and for a moment I could not breathe. I looked down at the poor turtle now laying upside down at my feet. I swear he had an expression like “what was that?” on his little face. I picked him up and luckily his seemed unharmed, so I sent him on his way in the same direction as he had been heading. I drove on home. I sported a very colorful bruise about the size of a softball for at least 10 days. I felt lucky that the ‘turtle blow’ had not broken any ribs. I could only imagine the look on an ER doctor’s face when I explained that a turtle had hit me and broken my rib! Undoubtedly, he would have administered a breathalizer….

20. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I’m sure they have heard it all, but I also bet they will store it away for a fun story to tell later. :D Gosh knows I’ve come in with some absolute crazy stories myself after breaking a bone or something.

I was camping once and beside the front entrance is a large pond that I’ve seen some turtles in . One day there was a long line of cars/trucks/ trailers trying to come in to the campground and no one moving. I was walking my dogs and went to investigate. Apparently there was 4 very large turtles trying to cross the campground road returning back to the pond and it caused a standstill. There was one guy there with a box lid trying to get them to move on a little faster but the turtles only seemed to move slower instead. No one else dared get too close afraid the turtles would bite. The guy with the box lid eventually gave up trying and let the turtles move on there own. I didn’t dare get any closer with my dogs as they would go berserk and only cause more delays. Truth be told those turtles looked intimidating to me for what I call a pond turtle they were huge.

Kyle R Thorson and Sjm9911 like this.