TV antenna advice

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by exploreco, Dec 11, 2013.

1. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

I am looking at this http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/ClearStream-1.html Clear Stream antenna and wondering if anyone else has used it. Would make some type of stand or pole to put it on. I don't know a lot about antennas like these and have seen some post where a few of you have made brackets and had them mounted to go above the roof of your pup while at the site. I am guessing they need to be as high in the air as possible to be efficient. Just starting to do some research on how these external antennas work, but we are finding the rabbit ears don't work very well at all, if at all, so thinking this is the next option.

Thanks for the input!

2. skiball

skiball New Member

We tried several different types of antennas and then found the best solution. I called Direct TV (No we do not have it in our house. We have cable). All the equipment was free execpt the Mobile Tripod.- $63. The bill is $19.95 / month and you can have it shut off for up to 6 months / year (off season) We had it shut off - no bill - on Oct. 21. It will be turned back on March 21 next year. You get hundreds of channles including music channles that we play just loud enough for us to hear when outside at the camper doing our thing. It is a much better picture than antenna and once it's set up (10 minutes) It's set, no messing until you take it down. It's really not all that expensive. We will never go back.

3. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Yeah, I was talking to a guy this past summer that had a HTT and he had one of those. He had Direct TV at home too, but that is what they did. It was pretty slick. He had a smart phone app that showed him where the satellites where for where to place it.

I was hoping I could find an decent antenna before going this route. We really only watch the TV when we are going to bed or if it was raining. Will keep that in mind though. Wonder if it is any cheaper if you are a Direct TV customer? I have always had cable but not opposed to switching either.

4. skiball

skiball New Member

I don't know if it's any cheaper if you have it in your house. Maybe, you'll have to ask them.
    As for watching it. Don't think that we sit inside and watch TV all day, we don't, but, we love the music stations to hear outside, just loud enough for us to hear. Not blasting.

5. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

On our old camper the music part would have been a plus. This new camper has an aux Jack on the radio so I think if I have phone reception I can just tune in Pandora on my phone and we are good. I agree, we listen to more music than tv for sure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

6. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I never thought about doing this. We have DirectTV at home, so I guess we'd just need to do the tripod, get another antenna and take our existing receiver with us.

Might be something to look into when we make a long trip.

7. DAMN YANKEE

DAMN YANKEE New Member

8. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Here is the off air T.V. signal antenna and wifi hot spot antenna set up I did. Works good. T.V. signals all depend on where you are. Last September on the beach near Santa Barbara, tons of channels. Early November in nearby mountains, 2 channels.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=66810.msg586568#msg586568

We load movies on the card and watch them when channels are few. Often just read at night and the heck with the idiot box. Hmmm wait, is it the idiot flat screen now? LOL

9. efehser

efehser New Member

You can do this. Only cost to you is the mobile antenna.

10. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Yeah, I have seen your thread before and was going to model what ever I did similar to your antenna set up. It looks good. I agree, it really just depends on where you are at as to what you will pick up. I am looking to looking to get rid of my rabbit ears, and if it don't think that one of these types of external antennas will pick up any better, than I may just try and one of the newer style flat ones. Saw this one http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/trailer-products/the-winegard-ultra-thin-rayzar-antenna/ and they have an amplified one.

Like I said, we really don't watch tv much while camping. Just like to watch the news and such when going to bed. If it is rainy we will have movies to watch.

Thanks for the input.

11. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

This is the unit I bought about 2 years ago for $350.00 on line.
    Just take the back bedroom satellite box with use and get all the channels
    we get at home.. Very easy set-up, takes about 10 minutes.
    I have Direct TV. As long as you can see the southern sky,it works great..AZ [8D]
    [​IMG]

12. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

I had a Vcube in my Big Truck and used it for 6 years with no problems at all. I let it go with the truck when I sold it because it was mounted to the truck, but sometimes wish I had kept it.

13. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We have an antenna DW picked up on the net for $30. We hoist it up the flag pole we use for races and depending where we are, we get enough television to suit our needs (news, weather). We have had 40 stations or we have had none if we are out in the middle of no where. The Direct TV thing sounds interesting, but I'm not willing to pay a monthly fee especially if we only use it once a month or less. Maybe if we start to long term camping when we get retired.