TV antenna,

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by zeeno, Jun 1, 2011.

1. zeeno

zeeno New Member

Hello, I am new here and could use some help/advise. What antenna would you use to hook up a LCD TV to your Pop-up [?] Would a pair of rabbit ears be fine [?] The resort I frequent used to have cable but it turns out they were getting it illegally, so the cable company shut it all off. Now I am bummed, I used to enjoy TV with my morning coffee.

Charlie

2. jthomas124169

jthomas124169 Member

You need to get a converter box, analog to digital plus the old rabbit ears and hope you can get a signal. The farther out in the boondocks you are the harder it is to get a signal.

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

I got a converter box as Julie mentioned, and this antenna up on top....usually pick up a few channels everywhere...sometimes one or two, sometimes 8-10 channels.
    [​IMG]

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I use a Wineguard Roadtrip, with Direct TV. I just have to be careful and get a site with a clear view of the southern sky

5. hoodlum

hoodlum New Member

I made one of these and it works great!!!!
    Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna!

Some campgrounds,I don't get anything,but there are a couple that I get around 15 hd channels from this antenna....Just depends on location.....
    Hoodlum

6. phipps

phipps Member

If you have a LCD TV odds are you already have a digital tuner and will not need a converter box.

7. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Ditto. I believe phipps is right.

8. zeeno

zeeno New Member

Thanks for all of the help people! I always find it interesting that whereever I go and do that necessity is the mother of invention. That home made antenna was interesting but i think the wife would object to having that inside the PUP, and putting it outside we would look like the Clampits. [LOL] I found a great website if anyone is interested in getting rid of their expensive cable/satellite, it is Denny's Antenna, here is the link http://dennysantennaservice.com/
    I am going to order an indoor digital ready antenna from http://www.antennadeals.com/IndoorAntenna.html for $35. with shipping. It seems cheap enough and i don't have to drill anything on the roof which i am very skeptical of. I will re-post here when hook it up on the 25-27 of June. Until then we will enjoy the beautiful we are having here in Northeast PA.

Charlie

9. EV2

EV2 Member

Good luck with your inside antenna, but you must be in a strong signal area for it to work, I have found few campgrounds where this will work very well.
    You can get an idea by using this link:
    SIGNAL STRENGTH

10. zeeno

zeeno New Member

OK, sorry it took 'til the end of the season to re-post but between camping and work it has been a busy and RAINY summer! I purchased that antenna i mentioned and was able to get a few channels with it. When it did come in it was very clear but just inconsistent. End result, I was not happy with it but I thought It was worth a try!! [PU]

Charlie

11. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

12. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

Pictures of the finished product.
    Here is the antenna installed on the roof (weighs only 2.3 lbs)
    [​IMG]

Here is the hookup for the TV and the booster switch. It also has a rotator knob under the antenna with a DTV signal finder.
    [​IMG]

13. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

14. raymonk

raymonk New Member

Now that most of us have gotten the pups ready for camping, it's time for those of us who want to bring a television along to figure out the best way to get reception. Tonight, I picked up one of those converters to use on my camper's analog tv and soon will be building one of the coathanger HDTV antennas. I'll build my first one as shown, then later will do some experimenting planning to use 2" diameter pvc pipe inseat of the 1x3as shown in the video. Other sites say that mounting on plastic will even improve the reception. This way I can mount it on a 10' of pvc outside the pop up.

15. Cant Wait

Cant Wait New Member

I asked a dealer if they install antenna's and they refuse to install on popups they said because the roofs are laminated and you need dead air space so they will not work . Not sure how true that is .

16. raymonk

raymonk New Member

I Built the coat hanger antenna yesterday, It ain't pretty, in fact I refer to it as the ugly stick, but it sure pulls in stations. I'm sixty miles away from the local television stations, and still I'm able to pick up eleven stations crystal clear that are comparable to what is on my satellite dish in the house. It only cost me three dollars to make, and the most difficult part was finding metal coat hangers.

17. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

My TV antenna (see above photos) works great, so I would say that the dealer doesn't want to be bothered. There are two different lengths of "crank-shaft" that came with my antenna and one of them fit my roof, the other is designed for an RV.

18. gglplex

gglplex Jesus is Lord!

Never thought about having a TV (television) inside my pup, but, now that I'm thinkin' (a dangerous thing):

Recently I've been bringing along my little laptop on campouts (to watch movies mostly). It doesn't have any kind of built-in tuner; however, does anyone know if they make some kind of box that tunes/converts a signal for viewing on a laptop? Input would be the coax and output would either be VGA (not sure if you could get audio) or USB? Thoughts?

19. raymonk

raymonk New Member

I know that these convertors are made for desktops, but don't know about laptops. I still think that that the card installed in a desk top is still kind of expensive. One thing that will work is that Walmart has a 22" flat screen that doubles as a computer screen for $122.

20. raymonk

raymonk New Member

I know that these convertors are made for desktops, but don't know about laptops. I still think that that the card installed in a desk top is still kind of expensive. One thing that will work is that Walmart has a 22" flat screen that doubles as a computer screen for $122.