TV antenna,

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by zeeno, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Erwin

Erwin New Member

2. gglplex

gglplex Jesus is Lord!

3. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

For considerable less money Meritline has this Mygia A680B. I purchased it for $19 on sale a last year. I use it on a dual boot Macbook running Mac OSX and Win XP Pro SP3. Mac OS in not supported but this, currently $24 shipped, tuner works great when running Win XP. The antenna it comes with is garbage so I use a homemade DTV antenna built from instructions found on YouTube. More info can be found on my website.

4. mr pep

mr pep Member

your lcd most likely has a tv tuner and you will need an hd digital antenna. They cost around 30.00 to 40.00.

5. raymonk

raymonk New Member

Your version of the coat hanger antenna looks much better than mine. I did make a mast support that attaches to my pop up's bumper. (this part looks good) in a two piece section for easy storage. For phase two, I'll be building the antenna similar to your using pvc. One thing that is for sure, no matter if it is made from pvc, or scrap wood, these antennas work great.

6. IVBENS

IVBENS Member

I'm looking at getting and HD antenna for our set up. The PUP has a Yakima rack on the roof. If I mount an antenna to that rack (vinyl coated metal bars), would that do anything to help or hurt the signal? The optimist in me sees the rack as an extension of the antenna. Thoughts?

7. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

I just take one of the receiver boxes for my Direct TV and hook it to this. They are a little expensive, but I get every station that I get at home. All the NFL games I want to watch, plus all the movies I want to watch..AZ [8D]

[​IMG]

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Well hopefully without getting the TV camping debate rolling, here is my new setup. We have a 26" LCD in the hybrid which is as big as will fit in the space. I am addicted to the weather channel and nascar, and the fishing channel. We also have a 5 year old nephew so this is a must especially if it rains. I now have interchangeable setups so I can hit either the west or east Dish Network satellites depending on the site. As long as its not 100% tree cover I am good to go. At the state park we visit most, there is no local tv reception at all.

[​IMG]

9. Popcycle

Popcycle I thought you packed the flashlight!

Using the You Tube video I made this antenna yesterday, placed it in the attic of my one story home, and can now clearly receive stations 75 miles away. I am amazed by its performance. I plan on making a couple more using different designs before making one for the pup.
    [​IMG]

10. jbthree

jbthree New Member

I made this one from the same plan. Works fine. I mounted to some electrical conduit and support it with a clip to the awning track on the back side of my PUP.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jim

11. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about the Channel Master CM3000A antenna? I know it's a bit pricey but I wonder how good it works.

12. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We have a 19 in hdtv which has rabbit ears. If we are lucky, we get a channel or 2. On a similar note, our dish receiver box (in our house) died the other day, and we're waiting for them to send out the new dish. So in the meantime, I purchased an antennea. Well, the first one that we got didn't fit, so I had to go get another. It's got a booster. We get approx 20 channels, but a couple of the major tv stations are on inconsistentlyl. Regardless of the channel, the picture blurs, or completely looses signal stregnth, every couple of minutes. I feel sorry for seniors who can't afford to pay for cable or dish services and have to deal with this on a daily basis.

13. DrGronk

DrGronk New Member

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

This site can help you line up the antenna, and help you with determine how many channels you should be getting at a campground or other location. Just plugin the address or GPS coordinates and height of antenna.

I have made these 4 bay antenna's before and have one in my attic. I recently bought an 8-bay and had it out camping in Niagara a few weeks ago. I had a work lamp tripod that I repurposed for the antenna and I was surprised at how many more channels came in when it was sitting on the camper roof (I think it was 22 or 27 digital channels).

We bring the laptop in case of bad weather (movies for kids) and I bought a usb tuner as well for about 50 bucks. Worked great, I could even record shows for future viewing on the hard drive.

14. hsr

hsr Member

Jim,

What's the netting?

15. hsr

hsr Member

I know it's the reflector, I meant what material did you use?

16. sebring96hbg

sebring96hbg New Member

The material looks like chicken wire.

17. hsr

hsr Member

But chickens can't fly that high [:D]. I agree, but it also looks like there is a wire running the perimeter or something.

18. capy235co

capy235co Member

I wanted to tell a story about the one POPCYCLE showed in his post. I was at the daughter's house yesterday and the Direct TV Box stopped working. We made one of these little stick antennas. Hooked it to a 32' Flat panel. You would have thought it was on cable. Clear picture and we got to watch all the football we wanted! I am going to make a couple more, one for my house and one for the pup. Black Friday has some small flat panels super cheap. The pup will benefit.