TV Converter box

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Halister, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Halister

Halister New Member

Ok I was given a 13inch tv for my camper and with all the dang rain we had in the north east i was thinking this really isnt a bad thing.
    So I need a converter box and an antenna.
    Whats my route? I refuse to put a bunch of money into this so cheap is the word...

2. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

If you don't have one of the government coupons the converter box will run you about $50.00 and an antenna about 25-30.

3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

You may even have an old antenna laying around. Any antenna will work. There is no such thing as a "digital" antenna. That's just marketing hype....

4. Halister

Halister New Member

Ive seen the converters on ebay for about 25 and Im thinking garage sale for the antenna..

5. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

Ok, from my limited knowledge on this.... There is a digital antenea. However, the converter box is designed so that it converts digital signal into analog so you do not need a digital antenea. That being said. I have a converter box in the PU and I use a $10 antena to recive my picture. We need news and that is about it but most of the time I get between 5-20 channels in digital clarity... You can get a pretty decent setup for about $60-70 total.

6. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Here is your antenna:
    http://members.shaw.ca/hdtvantenna/

Can't get cheaper than that.

James

7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Speaking as a ham radio operator, who builds his own antennas for digital and analog transceivers, I am telling you there is NO difference between analog and digital antennas. The only possible difference is if it is VHF only or VHF/UHF. They only call them digital to try to make you buy a new one.

Go to a garage sale and grab an old VHF/UHF set of rabbit ears, plug it into the converter box so that your old TV can view the new digital channels and you are good to go.

All the converter box is is a new digital tuner for your old TV anyway...

8. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I agree that the basics of the antenna is the same, digital or analog. From some reading in some of the forums some of the antenna that are advertised as digital may not do the VHF range 2-13 well if at all. Thats not an issue in the US, but in Canada we have delayed digital rollout and still have lots of analog for a while.

Building your own antenna have you seen the Gray Hoverman?
    http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/design.htm

James

9. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

I ordered my $40 coupon and got it in two weeks. Even an old pair of rabbit ears on the roof will work. You will either get a signal or not. Depending on where you are. You can go to antennaweb.org and type in the area and they will tell you what stations are available. When we were in Tennessee, the first two days we got about 12 stations and they were really clear. After all the big rigs came in, we got nothing. No television for five days, not to bad when you get used to it. We had the dvd player, but DW forgot the dvds. [:!]

10. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

I have seen the converter boxes on Craigslist for around $20. You might want to check it out.

11. Goldens

Goldens Member

Several members here have built this antenna and it works pretty well. Even better when you add a reflector to the back of it like Tekboy did.

12. bill623

bill623 Just a OLE Farmer tent camped for 40 years

go 2 big lots and get a 28db antenna rabbit ear , wow what a pivcture its a booster...I have one , wally world has 18db gain for 25 $.... oops big lots 10$

13. Halister

Halister New Member

wow thanks for the response, I thought the converter was the issue now witch antenna to go with. Im going to check around for a cheap one but im interested to see if I can build one now.

14. bill623

bill623 Just a OLE Farmer tent camped for 40 years

go to Big lots 10$ for antenna with 28 db gain ....why build one lol