TV Help

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by mouse6196, Aug 16, 2014.

1. mouse6196

mouse6196 New Member

I'm a total loss when it comes to electronics and televisions etc. I never watch them but after a week of rain in our camper, and 4 and 8 year old getting bored I thought it may be time.

I have a trailer with a Wingman antenna. I want to get the wingman HD antenna add on that I have seen at many parks. Now my question is; what all do I need to make this all work.

I will get the antenna add on for my wingman that will aloow me HD channels. I will start to look for a small flat screen television once I'm educated on this stuff. Do I need a digital box or receiver? Will the new digital TV's just hook up to the antenna.

Anyone who is using an HD over the air antenna and TV can you explain your set up to me.

Thanks

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Over the air is subject to what's available in the area you are.
    I would suggest a DVD for the kids and bring lots of disks.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Your current antenna will pick up over the air HD channels just fine, no need for anything extra.. That said I would get the wingman or better yet change the head out for one of those Jack antenna heads.. As mentioned HD signals are line of sight so depending on where you are you may get nothing or you might get 10 or 12 stations..

http://www.tvfool.com/ This is a good resource in helping you figure out how many channels you'll get.. Knowing that your antenna head is about 12 feet off the ground you can set the location and antenna height ...

Here is the channel map for Arrowhead P.P.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dec2f6cc05a3fb5

4. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

I only had bad experience so I am not helpful. I even had a 20-foot pole up to mount my antenna. Nothing.
    I would go with DVD or broadband internet streaming video like hulu.

5. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

We have no problem picking up off air digital television when we camp. Some places much better than others no doubt but between this, our Raspberry Pi media center with usb stick movies, we have plenty to watch. If we can grab an open wif fi signal then we have even more content from the internet. Stick an antenna up, let your T.V. scan for channels and you may be surprised. Lot's of good kid content? Hmmmmm maybe not but...

[​IMG]

Raspberry Pi media center stuck to the back of the T.V.

[​IMG]

6. mouse6196

mouse6196 New Member

Thanks all...

Do I need anything on the cable between the antenna jack (in trailer) and the TV...like a digital box or anything. I like that raspberry box.

7. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a MOHU Leaf Plus external antenna (approx. 60 mi. range) and have used it twice. Last time out was over Aug. 8 weekend and I was surrounded by trees and assumed I would get NO channels. There were times I would get 24 channels, many of which were duplicates and, in some cases, triplicates. Three shopping channels, a couple of children's cartoon channels, ION in triplicate, PBS. However, during the evening hours I did bring in NBC and CBS channels.

Depending on where you're located the range of channels is limited, but certainly better than lying there staring at the walls of the PUP.

8. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

9. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Curious, what is your mast material? Ever have that in much of a wind yet?

10. Ludercrous

Ludercrous Member

Just make sure the TV you get has a digital over-the-air tuner already built in and you can plug your antenna directly in. I believe most (all?) new HD TV's have them built in now. Watch out for "HD Ready" TV's, they can display a HD signal, but don't have their own HD tuner.

11. jackquontee

The mast is fiberglass and I did use it during a 4th of July tropical storm, although I did pull it down when the winds hit about 30mph.

I am trying to figure out a way to secure it when it is extended as it simply pulls straight up until it "sticks." I know what I have in mind but can't think of what the little "catches" are called so, until I figure that out, I can't even mod the mast.

12. swordfish

13. swordfish

Do you mean this?
    [​IMG]
    image hosting over 10mb

Your pic looks like a Sky 60, not a Leaf.
    The way I secure my pole is using guy lines for amateur radio towers (non-stretching Dacron). I attach 3 lines to a flange (which has 3 holes) in the upper part of the pole. Stake down 3 guy lines to the ground.
    [​IMG]
    image upload no compression

14. jackquontee

YES, and thanks for the assist. At least now I know what to look for. Thank you.

[/quote]Your pic looks like a Sky 60, not a Leaf.[/quote]

Again, yes, that is the Sky 60, and my apologies for being unintentionally misleading. I have been using the Leafs for so long I sometimes get stuck on them.