TV/Internet/Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by lupita2323, Jun 8, 2015.

1. lupita2323

lupita2323 New Member

Our pop-up is in excellent conditions. We love camping and saltwater fishing therefore at least every other month we are camping in the Florida Keys. We love a campsite in the keys called Long Key State Park. it has Electricity and City Water but no available internet/Wi-Fi. When we go camping we highly don't have time for computers and TV, but in Florida it rains a lot. When it is raining, or on those nights I can sleep, it would be nice to have internet so that I can at least connect to Netflix or see TV. We have tried about 3 different antennas for the TV and it does not work, on occasions we have maybe got one channel and not to clear. Reception on my cell phone is low therefore I cannot use my Wi-Fi/hotspot from my cell. We are not too good with electronics.

Is there any Antennas and or Wi-Fi/Hotspot we can buy under $120 with easy installation that would work for us?

2. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Probably not. You can search the web for antennas based on location, but if you're not picking anything up it's doubtful you will with another cheap antenna. With the digital equipment now it's kind of an all or nothing proposition...you go from nothing to great reception. The cell stuff is along the same lines. If you're getting nothing now you'll get ultra low speed at best with antennas.

Good luck.

Jeff

3. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Regarding T.V., check your camp site locations for nearby T.V. stations. http://www.antennaweb.org/. If they are too far away, nothing will help. Antenna Direct has some low cost, good antennas https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/HD-TV-antennas.html I have the DB4e. You also need to set up a pole for the antenna. eBay has sectional antenna poles. The pole can be attached at one point to the pup and secured by 2 additional guy lines.

Regarding WiFi, again, if you don't have line of sight, you don't get good receptions. You can buy a hot spot for Verison for less than $40 at Best Buy. Since you have the pole up, you can hang your hot spot (inside a dry bag) up on the pole by a pulley to get a good reception. Streaming is not recommended unless you want to pay big bucks for the data plan. Better to record videos on a flash drive before camping and run it on a laptop or a Raspberry Pi (HiFiDave is the expert)

4. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

LOL uhhh well, expert uhhhh why sure, sure. (As he punches in google searches)

But swordfish is on target. Hmmmm T.V antenna/wifi hot spot under a buck twenty? Beats me but doubt it. We like this antenna system, pulls in at least a couple channels even in remote boon docking. Get a laptop, load some movies on it. Or google the Raspberry pi. It rocks!

Wifi and T.V. antenna

[​IMG]

Raspberry pi running xbox media center on back of T.V. with xbox IR remote control. Pop a lil usb drive in there full of movies and you are all set.

[​IMG]

Love these lil Leef drives

[​IMG]

5. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I like the Raspberry Pi/XBMC idea, but most of my movies are on iTunes these days, so it's not easy to get them in the right format.

I just got back from a trip where I loaded a bunch of movies (mostly kid's movies for my son) onto my Mac Mini and used a Pico projector.

Here's a shot of a movie being projected onto one of the bunk ends:

[​IMG]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Do you have a smart phone with 4g sevice?
    If so just tether to a laptop and watch Netflix HULU or Amazon etc... [:D]

7. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

LOL! 4G service?! I'm lucky if I get 3G and that's in the city. Cell phone companies, worst than used car sales men and their claims of what they can provide. Anyway, I admire folks that get good data where ever they go. Let me know what carrier you have.

8. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

9. jackquontee

jackquontee Member

I download movies from Itunes to an Iphone 4, and then connect the Iphone to the tv with a composite cable and I'm good to go.

10. skysummit

skysummit Member

Just curious...who's your cell provider? I'm with VZW and have a secondary phone I use for a hotspot only while camping. I normally have 4G service everywhere.

11. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Cell service at Long Key is almost nonexistent. Key West is good but not mid Keys

12. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Location, location, location, is what is the key. I use my phone as a hotspot but I often have to find the sweet-spot to mount the phone usually in a high spot in the camper or campsite. From there we are able our devices like a tablet and other phones for internet.

It also seems to help to run power to the phone using it as a hotspot eats up the battery fast, I use one of those power bricks.

The same goes for the TV antenna, some times it's a matter of moving it a foot or two, if you have a directional antenna point it back to the largest city near you.

Lastly you can get a small portable dish antenna, it might sound crazy but if you use dish at home you can take your service on the road with you, so why not?
    https://www.wisheks.com/Winegard-PM...ON16t1pyDS7DBH9tFTjWI4hmUfDEGoPkaAilUEALw_wcB
    [​IMG]

http://www.dyersonline.com/winegard...1QQZs_Ul75VgbZXkJg03FFlgF7t_GzRUaAmqFEALw_wcB
    [​IMG]

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Wow, you replied to a 4 year old thread...lol