TV Jack Sufficient?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by andosfauxtos, Oct 19, 2019.

1. andosfauxtos

andosfauxtos Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if my TV's jack is sufficient to use with my PUP. I'm guessing it is, but wanted to ask the experts what you think. My TV (2006 GMC Envoy) has a GVWR of 5750 lbs and came with a jack. My PUP (1999 Coleman Nevada) 2131 lbs (max weight loaded is 3k-ish, but I'm sure I'm not close to that even when it is all loaded).

So, my TV jack should be enough to lift it to change a tire and such, correct?

I will have to get a different lug wrench, as the lugs on the TV and PUP are different sizes, but I think I can at least save myself from having to buy another jack.

Thanks all!

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You'll be fine. Remember you will only be lifting one side so the weight is much less than the whole trailer.
    I carry a battery powered impact with corresponding sockets for the Tow vehicle and trailer. Also have a 3/4 inch for my stabilizers with an adapter to use with a drill.

andosfauxtos likes this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Your TV jack is more than qualified but it has to fit under the camper.

4. andosfauxtos

andosfauxtos Member

Ooooh, good point! I should probably check that. Thanks!

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Yes you should and you are welcome.

6. mv520

mv520 Member

And don't forget it has to fit underneath the PUP when the PUP tire is potentially flattened, so assuming you test with a fully inflated PUP tire, make sure there is a 5" (or whatever your PUP tire sidewall height is) gap between the top of the lowered jack and the frame/axle/etc. jacking point(s)!

BillyMc and PointyCamper like this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

That and wood blicks to support it, or make up the difference in height if needed. Not every flat is on a level surface.

BillyMc and PointyCamper like this.
  8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Depends if the head of the jack is designed to fit in a notch under the vehicle.. many uni body jacks are designed this way (no idea if your Envoy is unibody or full framed but even full framed it may have a head to fit a specific spot GM like doing silly things like that) .. Also check and make sure the vehicles lug wrench fits the trailer..

PointyCamper likes this.
  9. andosfauxtos

andosfauxtos Member

I'll have to check the jack head to see if it will work, thanks. I checked both lugs in both my vehicles, neither fits so I'll have to get a new one for the PUP.

10. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

My partner swears by our floor jack for all of our jacking needs. :) He says that it's far easier to use, more versatile and more stable than the jack that came with our truck. We use it not only to change tires on the trailer and our vehicles, but also to lift the tongue of the trailer, or the back end, when we put the stabs down on uneven ground. The only downside it that it's rather large and heavy (ours is on the small side and still is about 15-20 pounds), so storage might be an issue for those, unlike us, who have passengers in the backseat often and can't use the floor there for storage.

We also use a star wrench for tire changes. It has the 4 most common lug sizes and eliminates the need for any power tools to tighten the lugs.

1380ken likes this.
  11. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I have a floor jack at home that's super fast to use; I'd never use my TV's jack at home, because it'd be a PITA. I did use my TV's jack this past weekend, though, because I let my tire blow on my way home. Given the choice to carry another jack on 100% of trips or to use my TV's jack on 1% of trips, I'll choose to use the TV's jack on 1% of trips.

12. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I found out the hard way, that my TV (1997 F150) jack only had a stroke of 6". It may be more useful on a camper, but not on a high sidewall light truck tire. I bought an 8 ton bottle jack with a double ram that has a 16" stroke. It goes on every camping trip.

WVhillbilly and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

...i should look into this. Thanks for the reminder....

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. p

p Active Member

...and....remember that the bolts holding the spare are different size compared to the mount.

15. Jaygray

Jaygray New Member

I picked up an aluminum racing jack at Harbor Frieght. I think it was $69 but I can’t remember if that was before or after their always available 20% off coupon. Best money I ever spent! 4 pumps and the tire on whatever vehicle I happen to be near is up in the air on under 15 seconds! It stays in the back of the Tacoma but has been a lifesaver a half dozen times over the years. Of course it raises the pup tires with no effort whatsoever. Couldn’t even tell you where the factory jack is stored in the Tacoma and I’ve driven it over 100k. Best guess is under the back seat.

16. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

I have a small bottle jack that I use for the camper. I store it in a box on the tongue, along with chocks and a 4-way wrench. This way I don't have to unload my TV to get to the TV jack.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The jack from my F-150 works fine. Some jacks that use the lug wrench to raise them my be a problem getting in a place suitable for lifting and still be able to turn the wrench. I'd recommend testing before you are on the road with a flat and no way to lift the PUP. A quick lift jack is great for some trailers, but can't find a place I'm comfortable using it with the torsion axles on our PUP.