TV Mount Question

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Enz0, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Enz0

Enz0 Member

Hello,

Recently bought a new to us, 2015 Coachmen Clipper 16RBD.
    Was interested in what wall mount you all recommend for a TV and if you have any mounting advice (I've never hung a television in an RV before).
    I'm thinking the best option is to wall mount it on the end of the microwave cabinet as it appears to be a solid piece of wood. The only other real option would be mounting to an exterior wall or just setting it on the counter.

The cabinet wall measures 17in wide and 19in tall.
    Was thinking a 24in TV would fit the space pretty well if on a swing arm so it could be left at an angle.

Appreciate your insights.

P.S. open to opinions on a tv make, model, brand too.

20210324_215814.jpg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

If you use a wall mount, consider taking the TV down when towing.

firepit and Snow like this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

In the Retro line, most/many seem to have a space assigned for mounting a TV, with a backer plate hidden behind the wall. Our '15 trailer arrived with a TV connection and extra power outlet (it's handy even without the TV). If ours had a sticker indicating the backer plate, I don't remember it, but know about where it should be. Given where it is, it wouldn't be visible except from the bed.
    We have tried to find a place in our 17' trailer to install a mounting arm, we'd plan on taking the TV down to travel, and leave it home unless we were going to use it. Si far, we haven't found a handy spot, so we've decided it we ever do take the TV, it will be packed carefully, and used on a table or the counter extension. [We had an extra TV that is the right size, so bought a Blu-ray player for it.]

firepit likes this.
  4. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Almost any articulating tv mount will work as long as it fits the space and the TV you select fits the space.
    I mounted 2 "j" hooks on either side of the tv mount and use a bungee cord to secure the tv and mount while towing. I have had this setup for 4 years, never removed the tv even during the winter, and have never had a problem.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Before you drill holes in your walls.....
    Will you be able to see the tv easily from where you want to sit/lay down from. And do you like looking up to watch it. Our camper had a tv shelf and I installed a wall mount near it. Both location were terrible. We just added counter space and place it on the counter. much better for us.

kcsa75, firepit and kitphantom like this.
  6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I just used a regular TV wall mount (Amazon)...I made a backer plate out of 1x4 for inside the cabinet to stiffen it up
    and used hex bolts and nuts to go all the way through.
    I just lift the arm off the pivoting mount and store the TV under the dinette bench.
    Yes...I would play around and make sure you can pivot it wherever you need it before committing to
    drilling any holes.

Attached Files:

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Very similar to our 2018 Viking. The TV is mounted to the side of the cabinet next to the microwave. It also has a strap that secures it to the cabinet while travelling.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I dont strap mine to the cabinite, but tie it to the articulating arm. Eaither way will work. That looks like a good spot for the tv. I would try to use bolts instead of screws. Thats if the microwave comes out easy.

9. BillyMc

That depends largely on what you want to do with it. The size and what you need it to do can differ greatly from person to person. I would have the first priority be that it works on 12 volt DC.

10. Jkoht

Jkoht Member

I did basically the same thing in my travel trailer. Put a 19" led TV on a swing out arm on the end of the cabinet wall. All I did was screw it on and threw a few extra screws in the bracket. I've never had a problem with it swinging wildly out of control while trailering. Either way if it did break I'd just get a new one, but this time make sure it had smart TV functions;) (I got this one for $90 on impulse, and a few days later I found a better one for $110 and I still kick myself).

11. Enz0

Enz0 Member

Appreciate everyone's thoughts on my question. I took the microwave out today, learned it's only held in place with 4 tiny screws. I reinforced the cabinet wall with a 3/4in thick piece of plywood cut to fit the whole inside wall and then a 1in thick piece of plywood specifically where the mount went. Gave it some beefiness for the lag screws to go into. Also while the microwave was out, I screwed the outlet to the ceiling. Can't believe it was just dangling up there.

Here's what's lurking behind the microwave for those who have never taken one out.

20210328_150059.jpg

Here's the finished product. TV has been ordered. I cut out a piece of cardboard to match the TV dimensions to make sure I mounted it in the right spot. TV mount can be angled downwards so we shouldn't have any neck strain.
    20210328_194525.jpg

Jkoht, Sjm9911 and firepit like this.
  12. firepit

Looks good to me...good work

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@Enz0 - the microwave in our TT has been interesting over the years. The front garnish frame steadies it. The RV microwave we have is supposed to sit on adjustable feet. We discovered, after screws loosened in the garnish, that the feet retracted with road vibrations, so the frame was the only thing supporting the entire microwave. Courtenay ended up making a base for it. so the feet are retracted all the way. At least the outlet on ours is well attached.

14. Enz0

Enz0 Member

TV was ready for pickup today. Four bolts later and we're all set up and ready to go.
    This now begs two more questions. Anyone have a clever solutions for cord management? I was thinking screw a couple eyelet hooks into the under side of the cabinet, but I'm open other options. Especially if they involve not putting more holes in my cabinet.

2nd question, there is an on/off button next to the antenna/satellite coax hookups. Anyone know what turning this on does? I was thinking maybe it's a signal booster, but turning it on vs. off didn't seem to affect antenna reception.

20210329_144612.jpg

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You could use velcro for the cords, the switch needs to be off if you hook into the campgeound cable. Or on, i never did figure what way was on or off. But, if it dosent work , push the button. Lol.

16. firepit

I wouldnt sweat the cords...They look fine.
    If it bothers ya..You could drill a hole behind the tv and one on bottom of cabinet right above the outlet.
    You wont see either one and counter wont be cluttered with hanging cords.
    But its drilling holes...just a idea.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

I have yet to find a larger 12v tv that was Smart. Maybe there are small Smart 12v tv's. But they cost more than a standard 110v tv and have less features. A low priced 400w inverter works great with our 110v 32" Vizio Smart tv and was much cheaper than a comparable 12v tv.

18. Enz0

Enz0 Member

I opted for a 22in 1080p LED Insignia TV on sale for $79.99
    It fits the space nicely.

Testing it out, it looked good and the sound was decent.
    I ran a channel scan using the antenna and it picked up 50 channels.

For camping I plan to hook up a blu-ray player, so a smart TV wasn't needed and really, it'll probably only get used as rainy day entertainment. If we're at a place without power, guess we'll have to pretend we like each other and play board games or something [:D]

19. BillyMc

It's extremely rare I camp anywhere the has wifi so a smart tv would be used much. The truth is the use of a TV is nearly none existent for us when camping. I have a generator and multiple inverters that also don't get much use. For the cost of an inverter a Firestick works well with a HDMI port. Inverters work, but they are also battery wasters.

20. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have unlimited mobile hotspot. A smart TV is planned for the TT this season.