TV pulls to left when braking

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Robmoo, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

When braking on the highway today I noticed that I had to turn the steering wheel a couple of inches to the right. I thinking that the passenger side trailer brake much be applying more strongly than the left and is pulling the rear to the TV to the right. I'm using an E-qual-izer for weight distribution and sway control.

Are the passenger side brake receiving more voltage? Do the drum brakes need some manual adjustment? If needed can this be done without removing the drum?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would check everything, including the tv breaks. How much did it pull? A little , a lot? Also check the tire pressure. Where you breaking for a reason? Sway? Etc?

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

First make sure the other brake is getting power. Then try adjusting them.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

What does the TV do while braking, without the trailer attached?

dbhost likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

As recommended have all the brakes looked at.. I would guess that your passenger side trailer brake isn't working or is poorly adjusted.. with the left side doing the work, this is why the trailer is pulling the vehicle to the left, requiring right input from you.

6. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

TV breaks fine. I was in some stop and go traffic. I checked tire pressure before eaving home so it is good. The pull is enough to notice and chave to compensate a bit, but didn't seem dangerous.

I'll apply power from the 12v to the brake wire and do a voltage test. If the voltage to both brake is the same. I'll see about adjusting the brakes

7. tombiasi

If the passenger side, (right side, curb side) isn't working the right side would travel faster and push the tongue to the left. This would push the back of the TV to the left and cause the front to pull right.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Nope.. if the side trailer brake is the one working it will pul on the left side of the vehicle when brakes applied.. needing right steering input..

Same issue as my TT when one right side brake wasn't working. .

Raycfe likes this.
  9. tombiasi

Been there, not wishing to go there again. Bye.

10. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Following to see which brake is the culprit

11. Econ

Econ Active Member

It appears brakes have not been inspected for a while based on the above statements. Yes, most trailer brakes are manual adjustment. A full inspection maybe in order. You could have grease on the shoes. Blown seals, etc. Check the trailer tires for gross tire pressure differentials.

Occurs during braking. If right trailer brake is "tight", the right side "drags" more pulling right on the tongue, pulling TV tail to right, requiring right steering correction.

Tear the brakes down and establish a base line.

Though it is heavily recommended to inspect the brakes you can take the trailer to a gravel road and apply full override on the brake controller and see which side locks up first.

12. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Not sure if its the same with a trailer, but typically if a brake caliper on a vehicle locks up then you'll feel a pull to the opposite side when braking.

For some reason I think I'd be looking at your tow vehicle more than the trailer. Even if the trailer brakes are only working on one side, I dont see that causing your tow vehicle to noticeably pull one way or another. Maybe under some extreme circumstances, but probably not all the time.

13. Econ

Econ Active Member

If a brake caliper "locks" in a non braking position that means there is no braking drag on that wheel. If it locks in a partially braking position it won't take long before the brake pads have worn to the point where it doesn't brake anymore. If it locks in a full brake position you arent going anywhere.

Disc brakes "pinch" the pads to cause braking force. Drum brakes push the shoes out into the drum to make braking force.

Now I have been sick the past week but my memory is this phenomena only occurs with the camper attached so the TV is eliminated. Its the camper.

Imagine a moving boat. You throw the anchor off one side into mud and not the middle of the stern. The boat will skew because of unequal braking forces.

I remember his correction is only 2" on the TV steering wheel.

Camper brakes are drum brakes not disc brakes. The difference is these drum brakes are not hydraulically actuated they are are electro magnetic actuated. Now my experience with electro magnetic actuated drum brakes have been limited to this camper but I have changed out brakes, of both types, once or twice in my life<GG>.

I suspect in order1) that the shoes are not adjusted properly 2) tire pressure 3) magnets worn off the opposite side brake drag
    4) Grease on the shoes of the opposite side 5) axle seal on the opposite side blown. 5) opposite side shoes worn out.

I dont see how the electric drum brakes can freeze up like disc calipers or hydraulic wheel cylinders and pistons can.

14. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Flexible brake lines can go bad and "partially collapse". This allows fluid to move, but not at the same rate that it should. I've experienced this first hand and come to find its relatively common problem on certain Ford Expeditions (and likely other vehicle as well). What happens is the caliper engages, but take longer than usual to fully disengage. I guess partially locks up is a better term...or collapsed brake line lol.

I agree that the first check should be the trailer brakes that likely need adjustment. But I wouldn't rule out the tow vehicle just yet either.

15. Robmoo

Robmoo Member

I was during some fairly heavy highway braking. One is driving at 65 mph with a nice follow distance and suddenly the traffic in front of you slows down and you have to slow down to 40 mph quickly.

I hate working on drum brakes. I said a small thank you prayer when cars went to all disk brakes. Sounds like I need to pull them apart and inspect them.

16. Econ

Econ Active Member

Your first hand experience is respected and this should be included in the consideration but wouldn't that happen when the camper is not hitched? So far I have not had a brake hose collapse on me ( yet, GGG). Plus I am to the point if one does during the winter it will be taken to a local garage and tell them to fix it.

I'm too old to crawl around on cold concrete <GG> Remember how much enthusiasm you had as a teenager?

17. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Before you go and start tearing everything apart, do this quick test. With trailer attached to the tow vehicle, and trailer wiring plugged together, have someone sitting in the tow vehicle and ready to start putting pressure on the bake pedal. Jack up one wheel of the trailer (you don't need to put it on a stand because you're going to be letting in down in a minute or 2 again). Just jack it up under the saddle plate of the leaf spring where it attaches to the axle. Have the person in the TV push the brakes on. Go to the side that is jacked up and check for 1) a humming sound coming from the brake. Thats a good indication if your magnet is working. You may only have a broken wire thats not energizing the magnet. You should hear some humming. 2) Try and spin the wheel by hand. Try with various amounts of foot pressure on the brake pedal because of your brake actuator. ---- Now let that side down, jack up the other side and do the test again. This will give you a good idea if one side is working better or differently than the other side.

18. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

It might happen when the trailer is not attached. But add a few thousand pounds of extra weight to your tow vehicle and things can sometimes behave different than you'd expect.

Doesn't look like @Robmoo told us what the tow vehicle is, or the weight of the trailer, the vehicle's tow rating, the actual tongue weight etc. It seems a lot of people try to pull something much heavier than they should (popups are so light and tiny....any old sedan can pull them right?!), and even more of us dont know the actual weights of what we're hitching up. If the tow vehicle is being asked to do more than it likes to, once again you find behaviors different than you might expect!