Tv reception

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by jacrabbitt, Jun 23, 2017.

1. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

SO I, m up here and reception isn, t worth a tinkers damn. Running a wynguard arial/w booster/in antenna receptical. Anything I can do short of raising the old girl another 20 foot? I've rotated the gizzy 6 ways to Sunday. Seems I'm just on the fringe of couple 3 channels, I keep depixulating. I understand that wynguard has an amplified head. Would this be of any help? Advice appreciated.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

This website has a lot of info on what channels are available and what type of antenna you have to have to receive the channels.

https://www.antennaweb.org/

3. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Go outside, sit by fire, drink beverage :)

Bradaz79 likes this.
  4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I installed an easy up TV POLE on the side of my POPUP and use one of those WINEGARD BATWING antennas that has the dipoles mounted on it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Roy's images...

I guess you noticed I was using one of those $100 long arrays VHF/UHF TV antennas (LOWES) Worked great but I destroyed it in about four moths taking it down and folding it up for travel... It also hit a few tree limbs when hand rotating it around reaching through the window flap...

The BATWING antenna works gang busters for us with its built-in BOOSTER AMPLIFIER...

I have one of those WINEGARD ANTENNA WALL PANELS installed to provide the 12VDC for the BOOSTER AMPLIFIER...
    [​IMG]

I also played with one of these eight BOW TIE arrays which is really reat to use but you had to really be exactly pointing at the transmitter station where the BATWING doesn't need to do this so much...

[​IMG]
    Google image

I have this installed on the peak of my house now...

Roy ken
    [​IMG]

5. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

I'ts rainning mightily. I think I'ts a hardware issue. Iffin I wear a tinfoil hat?.

6. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Roy, you receiving International space station transmissions on that ol girl? Is thebatwing with the small array on I

7. roybraddy

As a matter of fact YES haha... Have talked to the ISS when they have had a ham radio Operator on board...

This is what the WINEGARD BATWING antenna looks like...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

The earlier ones did not have the DIPOLES added like shown here... The added DIPOLEs are a must now since the NATIONAL BROADCAST changed over to Digital HDTV frequencies...

If you are using one of those small round unidriectional type antennas they don't do much for me... Hard to beat the WINEGARD BATWING antenna with the Dipoles added. We pick up many digital HDTV stations from the local towns using this antenna. Our TV set is a VIZIO 22-inch flat screen and of course we have to select ANTENNA mode and do the Digital station scan everytime we setup... I always want to find a 24-hour WX RADAR station when camping OFF-GRID...
    [​IMG]
    Google Image

This is my whole bunch of added Antnnas to my OFF-ROAD POPUP. I like being on Emergency Radio Nets and WX Nets etc camping up on a high ridge somewhere... I also have a couple of 5-foot length 3-inch triangle aluminum sections that gets me ten feet above my bumper mount then I have a long PVC pole in the middle of this going to to around 25-feet off the ground. here i use a 135-foot OFF-CENTER ham Radio wire antenna where I throw the ends up into the trees on each side of the trailer. This make my HF Ham radio work really good...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image
    The 2-pin connector shown on the drawing here connects to another 12V Battery Bank installed in the truck bed...

I have dual 24-inch Computer monitors sometimes setup in the back tent bed area on a large board when running my Radio Nets...

Lots of squeaks and squawks noise coming from my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer when camping OFF-GRID hehe.. I usually gets a couple of chipmunks or Squirrels showing up wondering what all of the noise is about haha...

When i get my good fresh ground and brewed Bean Coffee made I sometimes have a few other bigger animals showing up wanting a cup...
    [​IMG]
    Google images
    I have heard the Bear is real but the other two hombre's are props hmm...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    jacrabbitt likes this.
  8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If I wanted to do that I'd go camping.

D_Gibb and tfischer like this.
  9. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Thanks for the info Roy. My wine guard batwing doesn't have the dipoles on it. I seen on Amazon you can get the dipole add on for about 20 beans. It would be worth a shot. You the man...earlier comments were made on a weak wi fi that kept swinging in and out. Stopped home today to cut the grass and back up to the campstie in a few hours.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  10. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Update...dipole upgrade arrived yesterday, winegard wingman, for sensar antenna aka batwing. 5minute install no tools. The wingman definitely improves reception in the UHF band. I got 2 channels where I was receiving none, and this was during a heavy rainstorm. 29 bucks w/shipping Amazon. Good call Roybraddy.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I got a Wingman in the mail two days ago. Plan to stick it on today.

12. roybraddy

Glad it is working for you guys... Sure has worked good for us over the years.... Since what we are picking up from OTA is digital HIGH DEF TV it is much better quality than the camp ground cable connections and the standard mode satellite we was playing with as well...

We do miss some of the SAT CHANNELS however like CNN NEWS and WX Channel and the many Cable movie channels

Glad to offer some help...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

13. xxxapache

I had 19 channels at my house before the Wingman and 19 afterwards. I didn't have any weak signals to test it before and after.

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I use a Wineguard Carryout. All I need is a view of the Southern sky.. Never miss a race!

15. xxxapache

Update on the Wingman...I recently visited a campground I had used before the Wingman. Before, I got 0 channels on the TV. After I put on the Wingman, I got 3 channels. I was happy with the improvement and didn't expect it because the campground is pretty far from the stations and is in a valley.

16. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

So we can say the wingman does improve reception. Is it worth the investment? IMO it is. It's nice to have some TV once in a while.