TV turn signals, brake lights separate feeds, how to make BOTH work on camper

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by coopa, Jun 29, 2010.

1. coopa

coopa New Member

I have four wire flat connector on Dodge Grand Caravan pulling an older Viking popup camper. One wire controls running lights, one each for left and right turn signals and one for ground. Since TV (tow vehicle) has brake lights separate from turn signals how do I get camper brake lights to work? Seems like I've heard of some device that makes this work, though I'm contemplating installation of a separate pair of amber lamps for turn signals while wiring the brake lights separately. I'd just rewire the turn signals to the amber lamps and add a single wire with a "tee" conector to feed both brake lights. Last couple of camping trips I didn't even notice I had no brake lights until I'd gotten home! [:O] Then I had to use a U-haul rental trailer in March and had same problem. Duh! [:(O]

This used to be a problem especially with foreign cars as tow vehicles since they typically were wired with separate bulbs for turn signals and brake lights.

2. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

For my grand caravan, I went to etrailerdotcom and ordered the lighting kit specifically for it. You remove both taillights, put a t-connector on each side, run the wiring from the passenger side under the bumper cover to the drivers side, push it all back in the grommet and through the jack holding area on the inside. It's all explained, It took me 10 minutes, including the beer drinking.
    Ends in a 4 wire plug, and runs lights/brakes/turn signals as it should.
    FWIW, I believe an integral part of it is a module that helps convert all the different signals into ones the simple wiring harness on the trailer can handle. (IE separate bulbs, etc).

3. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

If the 4-way is wired correctly, the turn signal cables will also be used for the brake. Here's a diagram:

[​IMG]

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

No need to change the PU (popup) wiring. Just add a "taillight converter" to your TV (tow vehicle) you did state what year your dodge is so I just picked 2000, but here is a link for an example
    http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2000_Dodge_Grand+Caravan.htm easy to install. by clicking on the etrailer banner ads that pop up here, there is all kinds of info and videos. These converters are available at auto parts stores locally, just get the correct year, and remove your old junk from your dodge to prevent problems.

5. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I added a set of RED lights to the Starcraft for BRAKE lights, and left the original wiring intact so it operates normally with other TV's. This only required one wire to be ran to the rear to feed both "new" brake lights.

You could always use a converter, but I've read in several places that they're not reliable. If you're electronically inclined, you could build one yourself. The guys who have done it have said they're bulletproof. Here's the link:
    http://www.mydune-buggy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=92&start=0&hilit=tail+light+wiring

6. Woodzeke

Woodzeke New Member

I used a converter for my 99 dodge durango, basically it uses diodes to isolate the brake signal voltage and turn signal voltage so it can operate a conventional trailer lights. Never have had a problem with mine. The unit is sealed, and as long as the connector are kept dry there should not be a problem. It was a plug and play unit. I got it at Pep Boys because I was in a hurry. BTW the converter I had to use also fit some of the Dodge minvans. Very well made and all connections were made inside the vehicle away from the weather. If you go with the converter, your vehicle will be wired correctly to be used to tow other trailers.

7. ArmedinGB

ArmedinGB New Member

I just bought a plug in harness from U-haul today for about $30. It took five minutes to install and everything works great.

8. coopa

coopa New Member

[:)C] [2C]
    Decided to go with the converter from eTrailer dot com. Unbelievably easy setup with video of installation on van identical to mine (except the color). And, it was on sale for $27.95 [8D]
    [TV]
    Funny but when I used a Uhaul trailer recently (N.C. to MA) and we couldn't get the lights working correctly (turn signals, no brake lights) the UHaul tech wasn't aware that they sell the wiring converters? [:(]