TV with 4 pin, potential camper has 7 pin

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by slbkendrick, Mar 27, 2017.

1. slbkendrick

slbkendrick New Member

Facebook group sent me here - I tried to search the site, but am a little lost. We are looking at a 2000 Rockwood Freedom, and the electrical connection on the PUP has a 7 pin. How hard is it to convert to a 4 pin? The biggest question: can my husband do it himself?

2. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

My $0.02 is that you probably wont want to convert the trailer to a 4-pin - especially if it has trailer brakes and a charging line to charge the battery while driving.
    If your hubby is pretty handy with auto electric, he could probably add a 7-pin female connector on your truck. I'd probably search the internet to see if there is a pre-made cable for your vehicle that plugs straight into the wiring harness. Or...take it to a shop and have them wire it up for you.

Good luck!

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

If your POPUP has Electric brakes then you are required by STATE DOT LAWS to have a working battery system on-board to operate a Breakaway BRAKE setup in the event the trailer becomes disconnected while going down public roads. This is an enforceable law. Your insurance may not go in your favor for damages if it is known you do not have a working brake system.

Having to deal with the brakes and also have a battery charging circuit from the truck side requires the 7-way connector...

You can do alot of reading about all of this from the ETRAILER.COM site...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

5. dion

dion Member

Four pin connections handles lights only. (one pin for ground, one pin for left signal/brake, another pin for right signal/brake, and the last pin for the running lights.)

Seven pin handles the lighting, plus battery charge, plus electric brakes. If you're counting, you realize there's one additional wire; this is usually left unused, but is sometimes used for back-up lights or some other function.

As others have said, if your trailer has electric brakes, keep the 7-pin, and outfit the tow vehicle with a 7-pin harness and brake controller. You should probably put a battery charge wire in there as well while you're at it. There are 7-pin harnesses that include both a 7-pin and 4-pin connector on the tow vehicle, in case you ever want to pull a small utility trailer that has a 4-pin connector.

6. Captainkdp

Captainkdp New Member

I am picking up a new pup with electric brakes and 7 way connector, My TV has 4 way straight. I picked up this adapter and installed. Just plugged in and hooked ground wire, so I didn't have to re-wire light connections. Next step is to have a professional install and wire the brake controller on my TV.

7. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Glad you decided to join... I posted my comments on FB .. "take it to Uhaul to get rewired for a 7 way and brake controller, get a proportional controller like a Tekonsha P2 over a time based controller" ;)

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I agree--convert the TV, not the trailer. You can do it yourself (don't need a husband to do it) or let U-Haul do it.

slbkendrick likes this.
  10. Mike76

Mike76 Member

I just had this done (conversion of the TV from 4pin to 7), last week. Total cost with purchase of a brake controller (pendulum based not time based, as mentioned above) was $350 Canadian before taxes. Now we're set to charge the trailer's battery while driving, power and operate the electric brakes as well as do all the lighting and usual stuff.

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Most likely, that camper doesn't have brakes. You should be able to buy a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter and be fine.

12. Mike76

Mike76 Member

Another benefit of the 7 pin over the 4 is you get backup lights on your trailer (if it's equipped with them) and more importantly you get battery charging of the trailer's battery while driving/connected. You would lose those if you used a converted for 4 to 7 pin without actually getting the TV wiring done fully to 7 pin.