TV / Youtube Questions

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Econ, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Winter camping suffers from short days and early sunsets. You can only read and stargaze so much.

We boondock the majority of the time.

We like to watch documentaries on Youtube. Is there a way to download videos from Youtube onto a thumbdrive then plug the thumbdrive into a smart TV and watch? Can commercial DVR's be transferred to thumbdrives?

We bought a 32" Samsung smart TV from Costco. They no longer carry anything under 40" stating there is no money in small Tv's.

please correct the following. The TV states 65 watts at 120 volts with "27 watts typical". I assume that means that average electrical consumption is 27 watts. That inverters impose a 10% penalty so this will cost me about 2.7 amps an hour at 12VDC.

Thanks for the help.

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure there is a way to save them on a thumbdrive, I just dont know since I've never tried.
    One option if you have cell service, is to use your phone and cast it to the TV.

3. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

We camp in areas that don't have service.

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We camp a lot off grid around the Virginia area here.... I have a WINEGARD TV BATWING setup on my POPUP trailer using an Amplifier. Very seldom have a NO TV SIGNAL location. We can rotate the BATWING 360 degrees... Always seem to get something over the air....

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

A lot of camping up and down Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway... Have multiple sources of HDTV here haha...

We also carry a VERIZON MIFI unit which give us a good Internet HOTSPOT all over as well... We can do the same using our VERIZON CELLS PHONES as HOTSPOT units as well... Just log into CBS COM and watch all of their TV shows after they have been aired... This is what I do when we have conflicting TV SHOWS we want to watch... Last night (FRIDAY) was several hours of the GOLD RUSH new season so we watched that on live TV then today (Saturday) we watched the RE-RUNS of three shows (DOWNSTREAMED) aired on CBS COM we missed... This was all done here at our house but We can do the same thing with our Internet hotspot connections using VERZION when camping...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Thanks Roy

We dont watch much OTA TV. We watch boring stuff like history, nutritional, and medical lectures.

The DW wanted noise early in the morning and wanted to see one of the morning chit chat shows. I built an antennea. search Grey hoverman.

6. Lonewolf55

Lonewolf55 Going NoWhereFast

There are several programs you can download off C-net that allow you to download YouTube Videos in MP4 format. You can then play those on any tablet or smart TV. Not sure if you can go directly from a thumb drive, that would depend on your TV, but you can always go from a laptop or notebook. I prefer to watch www.youtube.com/ricks41at when I'm traveling...;-)

7. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

"Free Cam 8" can record any video playing on your computer. You cannot interrupt the recording or do multitasking on your computer.

Econ likes this.
  8. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Found it on CNet
    It is assumed that is a swordfish in the avatar