Twins! New third row TV

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by MaeKay, Dec 27, 2019.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

So, we are 14 weeks pregnant with twins and have a 4 and 6 year old. We have an awesome little 2015 Salem Cruise Lite 195 BH. 4,000 pounds fully loaded, 21’ overall. It has a queen sized bed (we shoved a queen mattress in the space of the double), a set of twin bunks, and a dinette that can be changed into a double bed. We’ll probably keep it for a while before upgrading to a Jayco 264 BH. (Pack n plays will have to fit in the dinette bed area until we can save up) We want to keep it light whatever we upgrade to.

Keeping all this in mind, what’s a good tow vehicle that has about 100,000 miles on it (don’t get snobby on me, it’s in our budget and we can take our time to be picky that we’re getting one that will last for a while). I can do the research to make sure we get the model that has the best tow specs (for example the Tahoe needs to have the heavy duty tow package which means I need to search for certain codes...)

The only third row tow vehicles I’m aware of is the Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban, and Ford Expedition. Am I missing any?

I sorta like the Tahoe but my husband hates the control panel on this age range (2009-2012) because the black wears off and shows colors on the temperature dial.

We are currently towing with a 2007 Toyota 4Runner V8 4x4.

akriot likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

First off congratulations. I believe the Nissan Armada and Toyota Sequoia also have 3rd row seating. At least the newer units do. Not sure about the older units. I know the used Armada I was looking at did not have 3rd row but it may have been an option that wasn't on that specific one.

MaeKay likes this.
  3. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Oh that’s right! I forgot about those two. We’ll add them to our list. Thanks!

The Sequoia gets horrible gas mileage. Like 10 mpg around town.
    But the crazy thing is the Tahoe gets the same gas mileage (14-18) as my 5 seater 4Runner. Crazy, huh? And price wise we can sell our 4Runner for about the same price as we can get a slightly newer Tahoe.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Yeah from what I read the sequoia wasn't the greatest vehicle. Which is sad considering how much I love my 4 runner. Only just starting on my research and was leaning towards the Armada myself. With perhaps the Tahoe as my second. Then again I'm still bouncing around a lot right now. ;)

5. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

We’ve really loved our 4Runner as well. It was 10 years old when we bought it and still in excellent shape.

6. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

At this point with the trips I’m planning next summer we’ll have to stay close and just drive the family there in the van and I’ll drive the trailer with the 4Runner.
    Now to also buy a mini van. So many costs not directly related to childbirth.

7. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Id say a 2008 or newer Sequoia with the 5.7 motor. We have an '08 Sequoia Platinum that was bought 3 years ago with 120k miles. It has about 160k now and it's been super reliable. All Ive done since we've had it is oil changes and tires. Consistently gets 14mpg in town and 18ish highway which for us in Texas is running 80mph because of the higher speed limits. Tons of power and drives awesome.

We basically came down to GMC Denalis and the Sequoia mainly for the bigger motors. I towed our trailer with a 5.3 V8 Trailblazer and knew I didnt want another 300hp V8 like the GM 5.3 or 5.4 Ford. Sequoia got the nod because it's slightly longer than a Yukon Denali, the rear seat folds flat and the long term reliability is better.

I will say with the Sequoia avoid the Platinum trim. The air springs make setting up a weight distribution hitch difficult and the 20inch wheels dont have a lot of good tire options. I swapped a set of Tundra 18s onto our truck so I could run an LT tire for the stonger sidewall. It made a noticeable improvement in towing stability.

neighbormike and MaeKay like this.
  8. shfd739

shfd739 Member

First gen Armadas are kinda bad. Weird ergonomics and poor build quality. The second gens are much nicer and are a good option. Same for the Infiniti QX series. The second gen of the Infinitis are becoming reasonable price wise and are a good choice. We almost bought one but got the Sequoia instead.

MaeKay likes this.
  9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We picked up a 2013 Ford Expedition this year with about 70,000 miles on it. I heard the 2003 - 2010 Ford 5.4L V8 had spark plug issues. We liked that the third row seats folded down level with the 2nd row seats when they were folded down. Some truck 3rd row seats have to be manually removed to haul large items.

MaeKay likes this.
  10. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

We just went to a Ford dealership to test drive some minivans they had. The seller said the same thing about the spark plug issue on those years as well.

what’s your towing gas mileage and your everyday gas mileage?

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I usually don't check mileage. I think around 14 mpg, but don't have actual figures. It's not a daily drive, either. I drive it once a week or two to keep it loose and the battery up. When it gets to 1/2 a tank, I fill it back up. It's strong enough that with the Aliner behind it, I have to look back to see if it is still there.

MaeKay likes this.
  12. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

You have been told about twin math? .... two is equal to three. You'll have a different outlook on whiny parents who only had one at a time. Welcome to this special club.

MaeKay and Raycfe like this.
  13. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Nice! Haha, yeah, in my experience with twins it’s synergistically more chaos.

But I have compassion for every parent. Hard is hard. I look back at pictures of me with our first, and how relatively clean our house was, and I remember being so stressed out and feeling like our house was a mess. (Ok, to be honest our oldest was and is a very high needs child...which is why we camp so much. It’s the only time he’s calm.)

14. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

the 2011 and newer Durango is also is a three row SUV - though it is not as quite as large as the ones already mentioned -

MaeKay likes this.
  15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I have twin boys, It is also twice the cuteness. Especially when young.

MaeKay likes this.
  16. penny

penny Well-Known Member

son has a newer expedition. V6 twin turbo. he loves it. Gas milage is very reasonable for something that has a very high tow rating

MaeKay likes this.
  17. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

More for sake of Completeness.... (I don' t think these would be economical, they all fall in the luxury market, but on the used market, who knows)

Lincoln Navigator, and Navigator L (Same as expedition and Expedition L)
    Cadillac Escalade
    Depending on the year, Jeep Grand Cherokee
    BMW X7
    Toyota Land Cruiser
    Infiniti QX80 (I think someone posted this already)

MaeKay likes this.
  18. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

First off, congratulations!!

I have 4 kids (twins the oldest) and in my opinion there are only two SUVs that work. The Expedition EL and the Yukon XL/Suburban. All other vehicles with the third row up have very little room for cargo, even putting a double stroller in the back is difficult (maybe impossible) behind the standard Tahoe/Expedition with the third row up. Explorer, Durango, Armada, Sequoia, etc. all fall into this category as well.

A trip to the grocery store becomes a game of tetris in the standard length. You'd have 3 kids in the middle row, one in the back with a seat folded down. The double stroller would be on top of the folded down seat and groceries piled up under feet and half cargo area behind the seat that's up, then unburying the stroller because Aldi doesn't have everything so a trip to Meijer or Wal-Mart will also be included.

I've had both the Expedition EL and Suburban (as well as a Tahoe and an Explorer so I know the pains). Both the Ford and Chevy were good vehicles and would own either again. I'm partial to the Expedition EL because it rides better IMO.

The big difference going back a few years is the Expedition third row folds flat as said above. The Suburban third row just folds down and has to be removed to have full access to the cargo area. That was the deal breaker for me ultimately as I had planned on going back to a Suburban after going to the Explorer with just three kids. The newer Suburbans fold flat (I'm not sure which year the change happened, after 2013) so that may not be a factor for you.

The Nissan NV2500/3500 might be an option if you want to look into full size vans as well. I was not a fan of the Ford Transit but could possibly have been happy with the Nissan from what I remember when looking. A Mercedes Sprinter is also a possibility [LOL]

19. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I would seriously consider this......

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-f...50/2016-mercedes-benz-sprinter-passenger-van/

It's diesel, get's about 14.5 MPG, and it's rated at 5000lbs towing.

Used, it's not a heck of alot of money, and it would combine two of your requirements. (MiniVan and Tow Vehicle).

They run around $25k
    https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-f...2014-max/?mileageHigh=100000&sort[]=price_asc

It's what my cousin tows with.

MaeKay likes this.
  20. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

We loved our Dodge Durango (it was a 2006). I will admit I'm not crazy about the size of the newer ones but that suv was the best. I miss it terribly (we now have a jeep Cherokee, which I believe may be possessed by the devil). It is still running just not for us. Good luck with whatever you choose and congrats on the twins!!

MaeKay likes this.