Twins! New third row TV

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by MaeKay, Dec 27, 2019.

1. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Suburbans in 2014 got the fold flat rear seats but they sacrificed some vertical height to make it happen. I’d still prefer the fold flat over the earlier models.

Sprinters are nice for a van and the diesel motor is great. However repairs can be pricey and they can turn into money pits.

MaeKay likes this.
  2. penny

penny Well-Known Member

anyone have experience with the ford transit or dodge promaster as a family tow vehicle?

3. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

I will jump in with one not to get, we have a 2006 Cadillac SRX (GM crossover suv) and the 3rd row is not a good ride, about half of the people who have ridden in it get car sick. The 3rd row sits over the back axel and gives the riders an odd floating feeling that never stops.
    My advice is to ride in that 3rd seat and see how it feels before you buy anything. Next up for us is a minivan like the Pacifica.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    MaeKay likes this.
  4. nkcrouch

nkcrouch Member

Congratulation! I just wanted to chime in as a mom of 4 (the 2 in the middle are twins). Think hard about the location of the wheel well in the third row. A couple of years ago when we purchased a new vehicle, we found that the wheel well took up most of the foot space on several vehicles. I can't remember which models exactly except the Tahoe and one or two others. I loved the Expedition EL, but I ended up with another mini van-- I do love my Sienna. Whatever configuration you can get the kids into where they can't/don't have to touch each other on long car rides is a blessing!

MaeKay and Blackripley like this.
  5. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

As noted earlier, Suburban/Yukon XL, Expedition L, and a full size van are really the only options that make sense here as they have the only options with sufficient cargo room. As far as 100k, any of them that have been well cared for should be a great option at that point, 100k should be just broken in.

MaeKay likes this.
  6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Don't rule out the Escalade. I was looking at Tahoes and Expeditions and found the Escalade in the same price range. I really didn't want all the flash and the 20" rims but got a great deal on the truck. All Escalades come stock with a tow package. It even has a transmission temperature gauge.

MaeKay likes this.
  7. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

@MaeKay
    Remember, the public library has a copy of the Consumer Reports book on used Autos. They survey past owners of certain models on certain criteria then assign a rating. By reading it you get a good idea on the specific model and of the manufacturer in general.

Sadly, the Porsche 911 gets the lowest rating. Another dream crushed <GG>

MaeKay likes this.
  8. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

ahhh!!! This is sooo helpful! Thanks for helping me think of considerations I’d never thought about. Because Yep, a double stroller is going in the back.

9. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

hahaha, you just made my day. And thank you for the tip. I’ll check it out.

10. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

wonderful advice! Sooo helpful. I do sit in the backseat of every car because eventually I’m going to have long legged kids back there and I don’t think it’s fair to crush them in the back row of the cross over type SUV’s.

11. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Post back what you decide. I always like seeing how these things turn out.

nkcrouch and MaeKay like this.
  12. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

So do I.

I’m not due until June and it might make sense to work a bunch of overtime for as long as possible to help put a bigger down payment on it. But I also don’t want to wait until the last minute in case they come really early (not that they’d be coming home right away in that case) or in case I get put in bed rest.

I’m eyeing this one but I need to research prices. I know someone said the spark plugs (??) on the Expeditions for certain years with a certain motor were likely to go out and were expensive. But oh. The more I look at them I don’t like the Tahoes. Then again, I haven’t looked at any Suburbans which might be different. And based on the above advice I’m thinking full length would be advisable.

13. shfd739

shfd739 Member

2009 and newer Fords shouldn’t have the spark plug issue. Suburbans are like Tahoe’s just with more room behind the third row. Same for the Yukon a
    And Yukon XL and Escalade and Escalade ESV.
    Those Expedition ELs are nice though. A highly optioned XLT will have the same features as the higher trims at a lower price.

MaeKay likes this.
  14. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

There is no room behind the third seat in a Tahoe,Yukon, Escalade. My old Windstar minivan had more room. If gas mileage isn't a concern Suburbans , Expedition XL, full size vans and all the big boys are great. If you need good gas mileage a mini van might be the best choice.

MaeKay likes this.
  15. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

We went and sat in several models today and realized I HATE the backseat of the Yukon XL/suburban/Cadillac. I could barely get my feet to fit flat. And I want my eventual teenagers to be comfortable back there.

We really liked the Expedition EL but the trim level we tried had a sun room and dvd screen which lowers the head height by a good inch. My husband is tall so we need to find a trim level that has leather seats (easy to clean camping mud off) but no overhead extras.

Nice to narrow it down. We probably need to look at a Sequoia but I don’t think they’re as long. It would be nice to fit everyone plus a storage tote in the back since that’s how we haul camping gear that doesn’t fit in the trailer.

16. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Active Member

The Sequoia cargo space behind 3rd row is pathetic unfortunately.

We have 4 kids and the minivan is just the best option to haul kids day to day. It can seat 7-8 and has the huge cargo space in the back. The power doors are so great with kids getting in and out without worrying about banging other car doors.

After towing a smaller popup with the minivan, we are much happier with our current setup which is a Ford F150 for the camping and to use as my daily driver. It is not super comfy having a kid between us when traveling but the kids think it is fun.

We then have a nice Toyota Sienna XLE for day to day kid hauling.

Good luck and congratulations!

nkcrouch likes this.
  17. nkcrouch

nkcrouch Member

This is exactly how we ended up. I had so desperately wanted an expedition, but the kids were just so much more comfortable (quiet) in the Sienna we ended up with. My husband got an F150 supercrew that we are all very comfortable in. It tows our pop up like it isn't even there. For our one long summer trip each year, we take the van as well. It is better for day-tripping. The grocery space in a Sienna is the stuff of which dream are made.

18. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

We’ve narrowed it down to the Sequoia. We know it has a smaller back area (we’re going to take our double stroller and make sure it fits) but we like everything else. The backseat has also been tall-kid approved by cousins.

We had another two snow storms this week and I was really glad for the 4wd in our 4Runner.

19. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

Congrats! When considering your new tow vehicle, look closely at the specs (cargo carrying capacity, max tongue weight etc). The sequoia probably can tow your current trailer just fine, but I'd want to double-check if it can tow your preferred futur Jayco 264BH. It is long and heavy, and although it's probably by weight under the "max tow rating", you may find that its tongue weight causes other capacities on a Sequoia to be exceeded such as GVWR or rear axle rating.

MaeKay likes this.
  20. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

Actually just noticed I was confused on which trailer you were talking about... the 264BH is still large but since it has less options, it is lighter and has a lower tongue weight then the 26BH which I thought you were talking about. Still may be close but that would likely be a bit better fit. I didn't realize how much payload mattered until I started running the numbers on my new to me TT and truck... it's closer than I thought. What I saw online was that the Sequoia has similar payload weights to my truck.

MaeKay and jmkay1 like this.