Twins! Oh my!

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by MaeKay, Dec 27, 2019.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

We found out we are expecting twins this June! We also have a 4 and 6 year old (who will be 5 and 7 when the twins are born). We’re eventually going to need to upgrade from our awesome Salem Cruise Lite 195BH (that we got for a huge steal) to something bigger but lighter like a Jayco 264 BH. (If we can find it in our budget). The 264 has a max weight of 6500 vs the 26BH which I think is more like 7500-8000 gross.

We don’t want a slide due to the weight but I wouldn’t mind double width bunks or a couch that turns into a bed. I hate the idea of turning the dinette into a bed because we really do use the dinette since we go camping in cooler weather and I like keeping my littles inside where I can watch them while I’m cooking or they’re crafting.

All this upgrading will take a few years though because we need to upgrade our daily driver to a minivan and then our tow vehicle to a third row SUV.

But you can bet I’m already planning simple, nearby camping trips next summer when my husband is home on paternity leave! (Through a fluke and a blessing he may be home for 2 months between paid paternity leave and saved up vacation time). When my babies are little, getting out of the house is how I keep my sanity.

So basically no specific question, just thought I’d share and hear your ideas on camping with 4 kids. Sure, a tent trailer would give us lots more space for the lighter towing capacity but unfortunately I learned tent trailers are not my style.

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Congratulations! You’ll have your hands full.

MaeKay likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats on the upcoming tax deductions for next year. :) Take your time and shop for what will fit your family' needs and wishes and remember that all kids do grow up therefore more room will be needed. Good luck in the search and Happy Camping...

neighbormike and MaeKay like this.
  4. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Congrats on the twins! I have B/G twins who are 18 now, plus one older and one younger "kid". Families with 4 kids tend to be lots of fun - there's always something going on. I would not trade mine even though it can be a bit crazy at times.
    Can't help with the trailer. We have a pop up we bought a few years ago - before that we tent camped with the kids. But I heartily agree with getting out and being as active as you can be. All the best!

nkcrouch and MaeKay like this.
  5. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I am wishing for a happy and healthy delivery for you. Maybe temporarily you can take along a tent for the older kids. 4-and-6 turns into 8-and-10 real fast. They would know they are 'just outside the door' of Mom and Dad and have their own "little" house, too.

nkcrouch and MaeKay like this.
  6. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! Good luck with your plans and search!

MaeKay likes this.
  7. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

My parents have the same floor plan as the 26BH/264BH, but in a Coachmen Catalina. It’s a classic solid floor plan that has been around for forever and for good reason. That also means that there are tons of examples of it from most brands on both the new and used market, so be sure to shop around for the best deal. The only thing it doesn’t have that they really miss is a pantry. Food has to just go in the cabinets around the kitchen. It looks like the Jayco just has a half wall behind the couch with a curtain rather than a door to separate the master bedroom. Coming from a pup and then your Salem it shouldn’t be a big deal, but I do hear from some people looking for a hard wall and door for more privacy in the bedroom, so something to think about.

They sought out the floor plan for the same reasons as you. Plenty of bunk space and no slide, which are heavy and are just one more thing to go wrong.

MaeKay likes this.
  8. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Good to know I’m on the right track. I spend a LOT of time on our classifieds looking for used items so I’ve learned to wait for just the right one that’s in great shape, meets our needs, and is the best deal. Watching for a while teaches me what to expect in my area. We’re also not opposed to driving 5-7 hours if we have a good feeling about one. (Our last two trailers were 5 and 7 hours away and ended up being fantastic...I do my homework first)