Twins! Oh my!

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by MaeKay, Dec 27, 2019.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

We found out we are expecting twins this June! We also have a 4 and 6 year old (who will be 5 and 7 when the twins are born). We’re eventually going to need to upgrade from our awesome Salem Cruise Lite 195BH (that we got for a huge steal) to something bigger but lighter like a Jayco 264 BH. (If we can find it in our budget). The 264 has a max weight of 6500 vs the 26BH which I think is more like 7500-8000 gross.

We don’t want a slide due to the weight but I wouldn’t mind double width bunks or a couch that turns into a bed. I hate the idea of turning the dinette into a bed because we really do use the dinette since we go camping in cooler weather and I like keeping my littles inside where I can watch them while I’m cooking or they’re crafting.

All this upgrading will take a few years though because we need to upgrade our daily driver to a minivan and then our tow vehicle to a third row SUV.

But you can bet I’m already planning simple, nearby camping trips next summer when my husband is home on paternity leave! (Through a fluke and a blessing he may be home for 2 months between paid paternity leave and saved up vacation time). When my babies are little, getting out of the house is how I keep my sanity.

So basically no specific question, just thought I’d share and hear your ideas on camping with 4 kids. Sure, a tent trailer would give us lots more space for the lighter towing capacity but unfortunately I learned tent trailers are not my style.

2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

Congratulations! You’ll have your hands full.

MaeKay likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats on the upcoming tax deductions for next year. :) Take your time and shop for what will fit your family' needs and wishes and remember that all kids do grow up therefore more room will be needed. Good luck in the search and Happy Camping...

4. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Congrats on the twins! I have B/G twins who are 18 now, plus one older and one younger "kid". Families with 4 kids tend to be lots of fun - there's always something going on. I would not trade mine even though it can be a bit crazy at times.
    Can't help with the trailer. We have a pop up we bought a few years ago - before that we tent camped with the kids. But I heartily agree with getting out and being as active as you can be. All the best!

nkcrouch and MaeKay like this.
  5. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I am wishing for a happy and healthy delivery for you. Maybe temporarily you can take along a tent for the older kids. 4-and-6 turns into 8-and-10 real fast. They would know they are 'just outside the door' of Mom and Dad and have their own "little" house, too.

Strawhouse, nkcrouch and MaeKay like this.
  6. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! Good luck with your plans and search!

MaeKay likes this.
  7. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

My parents have the same floor plan as the 26BH/264BH, but in a Coachmen Catalina. It’s a classic solid floor plan that has been around for forever and for good reason. That also means that there are tons of examples of it from most brands on both the new and used market, so be sure to shop around for the best deal. The only thing it doesn’t have that they really miss is a pantry. Food has to just go in the cabinets around the kitchen. It looks like the Jayco just has a half wall behind the couch with a curtain rather than a door to separate the master bedroom. Coming from a pup and then your Salem it shouldn’t be a big deal, but I do hear from some people looking for a hard wall and door for more privacy in the bedroom, so something to think about.

They sought out the floor plan for the same reasons as you. Plenty of bunk space and no slide, which are heavy and are just one more thing to go wrong.

MaeKay likes this.
  8. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Good to know I’m on the right track. I spend a LOT of time on our classifieds looking for used items so I’ve learned to wait for just the right one that’s in great shape, meets our needs, and is the best deal. Watching for a while teaches me what to expect in my area. We’re also not opposed to driving 5-7 hours if we have a good feeling about one. (Our last two trailers were 5 and 7 hours away and ended up being fantastic...I do my homework first)

9. 23steps

23steps New Member

Congrats! Dad of boy girl twins and another girl. Enjoy the insanity of twins!

10. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

My sympathies. We have Grandtwins AKA "The Terrorists". Too much drama. Too much estrogen. Too much high spirit <GG>

MaeKay likes this.
  11. Vegas_PUPpers

Vegas_PUPpers Member

Congratulations! 2 of our 3 little campers are identicals. (Well, not little, I guess! 10 years old on Sunday the 9th!)

Best wishes finding the next right trailer.

1380ken and MaeKay like this.
  12. Mysterysrider

Mysterysrider New Member

We have ID twin girl! My son is 15 months older than them and my daughter is 15 years older than them. We have a “king” on both sides, a couch, and the dinette. Our dinette is a slide though. And we bring the dog. We love our pop up and we love having twins.
    I drive a dodge minivan and my husband has a F-150. We haul with the truck.

MaeKay and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. michigan_camper

michigan_camper Member

I'll never forget the day my wife came home from the doctor with an ultrasound. They were checking her because they thought they miscalculated her due date: she was a little too big! She showed me the ultra sound picture with two babies clearly in view. It was one of the happiest days of our lives, as well as one of the most shocking! We bought our first popup a few years later and we took our twin girls and our older daughter camping for the first time. That was about 1994. Time sure flies! Enjoy your children! And my advice for having twins: you'd better keep one eye on each while they run in different directions. You have your work cut out for you!

MaeKay and Vegas_PUPpers like this.
  14. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Twins are 9 months old and with Spring in the air I’m yearning to go camping again. We never did go camping when they were tiny because...twins. It was so intense. I’m not sure I’d say we’ve got it figured out now but at least we’re not entirely drowning. I’m just not sure I can take all 4 kids out camping by myself. But my husband doesn’t have time off until late May. Sigh.

Twins is NOT twice as hard, it’s 4 times as hard. Because when you’re holding them both....your hands are full and you can’t do anything else!

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You also have more than twice the cuteness. I miss the times when my twins were little. Teaching them to drive now.

MaeKay and kcsa75 like this.
  16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I remember visiting a friend with twins. It was a riot to watch as an outsider. If one hurt themselves and went to mom the other one would instantly cry to be held by mom too for no reason other than one cannot be held without the other. Mom bought nice bunk beds for the boys, but they spent more in in each other’s bed than in their own. Which often triggered more play time vrs sleep. So mom again having to separate them. When they were school age she insisted the school to put them in separate classrooms more likely for them to pay attention to the teacher vrs each other. Those boys were a whirlwind of energy when they were together. One had better hold onto your hats, but Gosh those tikes knew every joke known to man though so it was very entertaining. They were a military family and sadly they had to move away and I lost touch.

MaeKay likes this.
  17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I agree with the table/bed headache. I know it's really not that big a deal, but I hated switching it back and forth. One of my must haves was the ability to sleep four without dropping the table. There were four of us boys growing up staying in a slide in camper. When the twins were born I was 1.5 YO and my older brother was 5.5 YO. Parents on the table/bed and the four of us up top with the top bunk extended over the table.
    For a TV there are also some four door pickups that seat six.
    While we made it work, camping has changed for most. We were outside most of the time unless it was storming or we were sleeping. No power or water hookups and outhouses. For baths we used the lake with Ivory soap. Unless you want cramped I'd say you are on the right track. The tow best options that come to mind are three bunk hybrids or a TT with quad bunks for the kids and a large bed for the parents. Most of those TTs are rather heavy.

MaeKay likes this.
  18. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Twin math: 1 plus 1 = 3

They will conspire against you even before they walk

You are about to learn that property rights are inate.

MaeKay likes this.
  19. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Haha! She climbs on top of him constantly and he steals her binky every chance he gets.

Attached Files:

20. MaeKay

MaeKay Well-Known Member

Yep, in a tent we’d be sleeping next to each other. Or rather, trying to sleep. We got a trailer because my daughter will not sleep unless she’s familiar with her bed.

The trailer I currently an obsessing over is either the 2008 KZ Spree 255KS or the 289KS. Love that it has a king but is actually fairly light for quad bunk trailers.