Two blown tires in 15 miles!

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by fix_it, Oct 13, 2014.

1. fix_it

fix_it Member

I just got back to KY from FL with my Jayco 1207. On the way down we blew both trailer tires. These were 3 year old Kumho 857 tires in the 195R14C size. They were not overloaded (only carrying a little more than half their capacity), no signs of dry rot, not under inflated, and only traveling 65 MPH (these tires are rated for 99 MPH). I had checked them a couple of times and they were never hot. The first tire blew but did not come apart. We pulled over and put on the spare. About 15 miles later the other one blew. The second tire had 3/4 of the tread come loose. The flopping tread did minor damage to the wheel well.

Fortunately my dad was behind us and his spare fit my trailer. I replaced both tires with Goodyear Marathon radials from WalMart (205/75R14 LRC). We will see how they hold up. It just seems quite strange to me for two perfectly good tires running well within their capacity to blow at the same time.

2. Clive

Clive New Member

Yes strange, not been stored allowing them to develop a flat spot?

3. fix_it

fix_it Member

The trailer has been stored with its weight on the wheels but radials usually don't get flat spots. However I guess that could be one possibility.

4. Heady

Heady Active Member

Wonder if you might have drove over something that worked it's way into both tires.....but then you said your dad was behind you and didn't have any problems. Odd that they would both go at the same time.

5. fix_it

fix_it Member

Shortly before they blew, I ran over some rubber from a semi truck tire, but I really don't think I hit both tires.

I just found out that those tires were covered for SIX YEARS for free replacement during the first 2/32" tread wear. Then prorated after that. I'd say these were still eligible for free replacement. But I left them at Wal-Mart. Also noticed tirerack no longer sells these. They are listed as "close out" and less than two available.

6. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Next question is- how old were the tires- per the DOT date code?
    You stated they were only 3 years old- assuming when you purchased them. But how old were they at the time of purchase? You might have purchased old tires 3 years ago and never knew it.

If no other reason for failure could be found, the tires probably failed simultaneously due to old age (rare...but does happen) which is a common issue with RV's and campers of all types.

7. fix_it

fix_it Member

The date codes were in the first half of 2011.

8. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

9. fix_it

fix_it Member

Unfortunately I couldn't bring the blown tires back with me, so I can't make a claim. I can't prove who's tire I had or its condition.

10. AlsChopShop

AlsChopShop Delightfully Incompetent

What tire pressure were you running? I run the max cold pressure on the sidewall and I am very close to the max weight rating of my tires and so far no problems on the old, balding originals or the new ones I just put on before the last trip.

Al

11. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Can you provide any product names on the previous tires? I've never seen trailer tires rated for 99 MPH, just 65 MPH and am curious as to what they were. I'm hoping you didn't have something besides trailer tires on there.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

13. fix_it

fix_it Member

The tires that blew out were Kumho 857 radials. They are rated for 99 MPH and are load range D. They held a max of 65 PSI and were check that morning before I left. I had checked the temperature of the tires by feel at each fuel stop. They were never hot. Even if they were a little low on air somehow, they were rated for at least 1000 lbs more than they were carrying. They would have had to be quite low to be under pressure for the weight (however I haven't seen a pressure chart for these tires).

TireRack is no longer selling these tires. The lady I spoke to said they were on close out and only had one left. She couldn't say why. These may no longer be available.

14. davido

davido Well-Known Member

It's possible that they were both weak for some reason -- road damage a year ago, faulty production, whatever. When one went, that placed stresses on the other one that were different from normal driving. That put the final nail in the coffin of the second tire.

Just another conspiracy theory,

;)

15. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I am glad you guys were able to stay safe during the blowouts. Sounds like you did everything right. Not much you could have done.

You definitely should get 3 years out of the good years.

I blew a tire on my HW256 but that was all my fault. They were close to 9 years old. I never knew you should never run them older than 5 years. They too had lots of tread and showed no signs of rot.

My new pop up has dual axles and is only about 4-500 lbs heavier. I am glad to have the extra two tires to take some weight. I always felt the tires were a bit maxed out.

Vin.

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

'Two blown tires in 15 miles!'

For the sake of you, your family and the rest of us, can you limit your towing to 14.9 miles? [LOL]