Two Down...

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by strangiato, Sep 29, 2020.

1. strangiato

strangiato Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Our second trip in our NTU Pup was this past weekend. We stayed at Sea Pines RV Resort & Campground near Avalon, NJ. When we bought our Pup, we got a free year membership in Thousand Trails (as I'm sure many of you have also), so we decided to get in a weekend this year to try it out. We stayed Thursday through Sunday.
    When we were tent campers, we mostly stayed at state parks, so we were not familiar with RV resort campgrounds. This was our first taste of sites that people reserve for an entire season and really trick them out and make them their own - and make them pretty darn nice.
    We arrived Thursday afternoon and were allowed to select which site we wanted to set up in and were given a map of sites with power & water and sites with sewer added. We drove around the bumpy dirt/sand roads for about 30 minutes before we found a site we really liked way in the back of the place, although our site had no sewer connection. There are about 550 sites.
    Thursday night was quiet, except for a site a few rows over where there were several loud people who wanted everyone to know what they were discussing, but it wasn't that bad. We had planned to cook over the fire, but the fire ring was too small to cook over, but there was a provided BBQ grill. We went to a grocery store and bought some charcoal and made burgers. On Friday, more people started arriving for the weekend and we figured it would be a bit noisier. We checked out the campground in the morning and drove to Cape May County Zoo in the afternoon and spent the a few hours there. It's really a great zoo if you ever have the opportunity. Entrance is free and you can donate whatever amount you want. Friday night was, indeed, noisier, but again not that bad.
    Saturday we drove to Ocean City, NJ to walk on the Boardwalk since I had not been there in about 35-40 years. I remembered some of it, but I'm sure much of it has changed. We then drove south to Avalon and sat on the beach for about an hour just enjoying the breeze, the dolphins, and the sound of the waves.
    For dinner, we cooked chicken kebabs on the BBQ grill. Saturday night around 7:30pm, the loud music started. There was a party happening at a site about 4 rows over, apparently. The music was so loud, that we had to speak up to hear each other. I assume that this was an end-of-season party for the regulars, since the campground closes at the end of next week. It's hard to fault them for that, but the music was just too loud. It soured us on the RV Resort experience.
    Sunday we packed up after breakfast and went to Belleplain State Park and had a nice picnic lunch at a table just steps from the lake's edge, and then headed home. It was a nice weekend, with just a few hours of annoyances.
    Two trips down and two more to go this year...

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I was going to go there this year, maybe next. And the zoo is a gem. Pack a lunch or get subs along the way. So much to do down there. Old and new. Always xall ahead to ask for when the feed the big cats. Watching them eat a frozen, i want to say rabbit but cant remember, is worth it. I asked why they freeze them, they rsponded, if we didnt they would eat it them in 3 seconds. I would call the trip a win, and please uldate on the membership, i almost got that the last few years, soon i think.

[email protected] and kcsa75 like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Congrats on your second trip. You are well on your way to become a true tent trailer camper. Your experience staying at an RV resort Campground or really any private campgrounds is why I chose to go back to state/national parks. I am willing to forgo electric to avoid drunks and party goers. I value my sleep Way too much. To each their own. They are great if you can’t find space at state parks etc as they usually have far more campsites to choose so your bound to find a site. They also have a lot of amenities for kids to do. When my Little side kick was young it was easier to find and pay for resorts, but after telling people to tone it down one too many times it just got old. Congrats again, hope the cooler weather starts pulling people back inside again so we can really enjoy our trips.

IDezine and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Neato, thanks for posting pics...love south Jersey, in laws lived in Somers Point just north of Ocean City Inlet before moving to Florida a few years ago, went up every year for a week or so to fish & visit; we'd hit the Boardwalk at night & Sunset Beach at Cape May a day or two...

Lori Mitzel likes this.
  5. strangiato

Good idea to ask when they'll be feeding. We thought that the lions and leopard were going to get fed when we walked by because the handlers were there and the cats were pacing by the buildings like they were waiting for it, but we got tired of waiting. If you go to Sea Pines, don't go toward the end of the season and hopefully you'll avoid the loud parties, and maybe even limit it to weekdays. Also, they do not have any dish-washing stations and do not allow you to do so at the bathhouse sinks. We had to heat water on the stove and use a bucket to wash. At this point, I don't think we'll sign up for the membership after the first year, but we'll make our final decision after a few trips next year. We still prefer the state parks by far.
    Yeah, we'll likely stick to state/national parks, but may give the RV resorts another go or two since we have the free membership. We don't have kids, so that part is moot for us. We definitely share your sentiment on hoping people stay in! One part of camping that we love is peace and quiet. There are several PA state parks that have electric available, and some that have full hookups.

6. strangiato

We went to Cape May for the first time last year, just as a day trip. Enjoyed it quite a bit. I think we'll likely camp at Cape Henlopen one of these years and ferry over to CM for a day.

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I had that booked this year, but couldn't go because of the covid restrictions. I would have had to self isolate when i got back and couldn't do that. I atually booked the delaware park further down the cost for next year, close to the beach but it looks cramped. Oh, book now for delaware as most of the sites where i was looking were booked. I had a hard time getting 4 nights.

8. strangiato

Good to know. Thanks! We might push that off for another year.

9. Lori Mitzel

Lori Mitzel New Member

We just did Cape Henlopen in Sept and said the same thing! We like the NJ beaches better, but that park is amazing. Book a year ahead or it's hard to find spots (we found a cancellation on a Thursday and got to go for 4 nights starting the next day). My husband wants to ride the Ferry over to CM.

10. strangiato

On our trip to CM last year, we actually went to Lewes first and checked out the area, including the park's history and lighthouse. It was really busy when we were there, but that was the summer, so we'll try to go in May or September. I checked it out the other day and there was some availability.
    We've now done the ferry twice, and it is enjoyable. I would recommend to schedule a ride to be during a sunset if you can.

Lori Mitzel likes this.