Two eu2000i's or one eu3000is?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by brockeverly, Jul 16, 2012.

1. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

I am going to pick up a Honda here soon, perhaps tomorrow, and am looking for advice. For the cost of a eu3000is I can get two eu2000i's and parallel them. They are lighter, easier to maneuver, and make more power.

2000w max - 1600w running x 2 = 4000w max - 3200w running
    16.7 amp max - 13.3 amp running x 2 = 33.4 amp max - 26.6 amp running

According to Honda's site the parallel kit doubles the power of one unit, so that is quite a bit better than the eu3000is. Not to mention the majority of the trips we take I will only need a single unit @ 43lbs vs 134lbs for the eu3000is.

I am replacing my Champion inverters as the are not very good at firing my AC units. I have thought about putting in a hard start capacitor and saving the money, but I do not know that I even want to deal with it. I have also thought of grabbing another Camping World special (4000w Champion generator) and keeping the current Champions for our regular trips not needing AC (we do not camp in campgrounds so noise is not an issue for anyone other than us, but I am not so sure even I want to hear it, although that and a 50ft extension is a much cheaper option).

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I've read that after you buy a Honda you'll wonder why you didn't buy one earlier...
    or two in your case!
    Go for it! I'll be happy to help you spend your money!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

3. Devil Fish

Devil Fish New Member

We have Honda 2000i and a Champion 4000 (with a long cord). Both work great but we carry the Honda more often. Much easier to carry and very quiet! Really depends on what/where your needs are. The single Honda will run everything except our A/C.

4. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Ya my single Champion 2000's will run everything I normally need. My problem is that if SHTF I cannot put my girls up in the camper and run the AC with them paralleled without having to mess with it each time. The twin Honda 2000's put out quite a bit more power so I doubt it would be an issue. I was always puzzled how my two Champion 2000's made less than 4000w peak when paralleled. I am inclined to say that, simply, they do not make the rated power.

The Champion 4000/3500 would run everything with ease, just quite a bit louder.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I'd go with the two Hondas.

6. Devil Fish

Devil Fish New Member

Had the Champion first, thought I loved it till I went camping with a buddy that had the 2000i Honda. Huge difference especially at a campground. We normally camp dispersed but the Honda was a good purchase I don't regret it. We rarely use the A/C up on the rim trips anyway.

7. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

8. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Going with the Champion 4000 or the Lifan above I could keep one of the current Champion inverters and take back the other. That would let me carry the smaller genny when AC is unnecessary, and avoid dealing with a loud generator unless we are in the deep woods and need AC (which we would not hear the genny at 50ft anyway). Decisions, decisions. My wife and I are pregnant with our second child in December so I am not so sure she will be happy if I go drop $2500 right now.

9. Devil Fish

Devil Fish New Member

Congrats! That is the reason we've had a slow season ourselves. We had our #3 born in March.

10. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

That is a tough choice, and congrats on the baby.

I have the Yamaha 2400 and there are days I wish it were lighter, because there are times when I am not needing my AC, but there are also times when I don't think I'll need the AC and end up using it and needing it.

If you have two units: You have to maintain 2 units, consider the fuel usage for two versus 1, the cabling, the technique, does everyone in the house know how to connect them together. If one goes out you still have half of your power.

If you have one unit: If it goes down, you are out. It's easier to manage and maintain.

If the SHTF, you couldn't carry enough fuel and will wish you had a large solar setup. [;)]

11. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Picked up another Champion 4000w Camping World special today. We have one of these on a family toy hauler permanently mounted with several thousand hours on it and it works great. Added gas and oil, fired it up, and fired up the AC without a hiccup at 114 degrees outside. Letting it run for the next ten hours so I can break it in. As of now I will keep the Champion 2000w inverters around as I had no issue other than not firing the AC. An interesting fact for you guys, I was lucky enough for Camping World here to give me a demo of both units. The Honda 2000's paralleled running a 13500btu AC unit was just about as loud at 25ft as the Champion running the same unit. Now, not running the unit, not even a comparison (Honda's were WAYYY more quiet), but under the peak load they are not that far apart regardless of what is written on paper.

I may still snag them, but I already have a Yamaha 2400 that I could parallel so I may go that route and take the Champion inverters back to Sams. My wife gave me the eye as if she might stab me in my sleep if I dropped 2500 on generators while we are expecting another child, so I believe I made the right choice for now. For $399 out the door I got the 4000w, wheel kit, and 3 year no questions asked warranty.

12. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

Sounds like you made the right choice.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

13. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

And if I decide to go ahead, I can always throw this on the toy hauler and replace the tired one so no money has been lost. Thanks for the help and info guys, much appreciated!